first eggs!!!??

lifeguard

My female veiled has been acting a little funny lately and just seemed to be a little more cranky than usual :rolleyes:. She has also been avoiding food and everything. Today I came home to a cage that seemed empty at the time and a pile of sand where once it was flat. I kept my distance as to not disturb her assuming she was laying eggs. How long does the digging and burying take?

Hello :) It can take a few days for sure. They sometimes will test several holes before they are happy with one to lay in. Sounds like you already knew what to look for and that she needs her privacy for sure. My Olive just had her first clutch. I was so stressed out! LOL! It took her 3 days to test and up and downs making sure everything was just right. She stopped eating. Would only drink and she had very small bm's. Good luck little girl! Keep us updated! :)

I have eggs.

Attachments

• P9010617.jpg
    P9010617.jpg
    271.4 KB · Views: 159
post laying

Make sure she has an easy route out of her laying bin. I like to use bird ladders. My previous females struggled on climbing out on branches, a couple couldn't make the climb. Feed her high calcium foods (silkworms and dust the others) and lots of water. It will be up to a week possibly before she is normal acting and looking (super skinny and darker coloring).

Make sure she has an easy route out of her laying bin. I like to use bird ladders. My previous females struggled on climbing out on branches, a couple couldn't make the climb. Feed her high calcium foods (silkworms and dust the others) and lots of water. It will be up to a week possibly before she is normal acting and looking (super skinny and darker coloring).

Agreed. My little Olive laid 29 almost a week ago and she's almost back to normal. Eating like a pig! Haha! She should def have an appetite. :)

She does have an appetite but does not seem to want to leave her basking spot. The only time she does move is when she goes to sleep. All the food I give is by hand. If it isn't close enough to her she won't go for it. When I move it closer she goes nuts. Other than that not much change.

update to my previous post

I'm in a hospital currently and can't figure out the quote thing on my phone. One of my veils laid 48 eggs earlier today. She was still awesomely colored and not skinny. I checked her and no eggs left.She was on the top branch. (bird ladders really work). Just goes to show there is no absolutes with chams. She also even let me hold her all the way to the day before laying. Obviously i didn't hold her on laying day. She ALWAYS comes to the door and hangs on to it, waiting to be held. She will sit in my hand or on my forearm until I put her back. She never tries to get away. I think she may have a crush on me. I was wondering why her male mate wasn't too fond of me and i think i know why. She's in love with the other guy.

Congratulations

Congratulations on the new batch of eggs. How old is she? Do you know if she has laid all of her eggs yet. I think that is why the question about filling the hole was asked. My Graceful laid 61 eggs in total. I was amazed since I was expecting numbers around 40.

Good luck with the little one.

Terry

She is about a year old. I am not sure if she has laid all eggs yet. She seems to be scared of me now . I am trying to get her to associate me with food again but she won't go for it. Perhaps with time.

Back
Top Bottom