First Chan / Redone Enclosure

NEXiiS

so this is a redo after I bought the crappy pet shop version. Thank you everyone for the helpful information thus far, it’s a major learning curb. Tell me what you think.

T5 HO 10.0 about 10 inch from basking
82-85 heat spot
Dragon stand hybrid
One warneckii
2 different pothos
Money tree ... all lined with rocks
Mist king with two nozzles (2 timed sprays — one 15 mins before likes turn on and one 30 minutes before night time)
Light timers roughly 12 hr
Mostly all natural except the vines

I need two more plants people! I would like color as I can move my plants because they are double potted. Anything that would grow upward in low light would be good.TIA

My Leo still side eyes me ? ungrateful ash mofo...

Attachments

• 90A0F955-A82B-4011-80F6-54F434F8CE31.jpeg
    90A0F955-A82B-4011-80F6-54F434F8CE31.jpeg
    112.7 KB · Views: 106
  • 8D8D6303-3D38-4360-A596-D2C47BE214A3.jpeg
    8D8D6303-3D38-4360-A596-D2C47BE214A3.jpeg
    153.7 KB · Views: 101
  • 243A3F3A-B55E-420D-B7F4-C0C236077095.jpeg
    243A3F3A-B55E-420D-B7F4-C0C236077095.jpeg
    133.2 KB · Views: 100
I second the umbrella plant! Dracaena is also a good choice.

I'm also a huge fan of hibiscus because of their beautiful flowers, but they have high light requirements & require additional lighting or constant rotation.

Maybe an umbrella plant? I've heard a lot of people use them. I have a pothos and a monstera deliciosa wich is really big so maybe not that one
I really wanted a monstera deliciosa, but in this area, they cost as much as—or more than—the other 11 plants I bought for my enclosure combined. (And I didn't even use all 11—I got a little carried away... :rolleyes: )

I need two more plants people! I would like color as I can move my plants because they are double potted. Anything that would grow upward in low light would be good.TIA
I think a good way to look at plant deployment (to coin a phrase :rolleyes: ) is as described on https://chameleonacademy.com/plants/
I.e. start with a "centerpiece" choice, and progress outward & downward from there.
IMO it simplifies plant selection. YMMV.

Another chart (some duplication from above):
1605101508781.png

I really wanted a monstera deliciosa, but in this area, they cost as much as—or more than—the other 11 plants I bought for my enclosure combined. (And I didn't even use all 11—I got a little carried away... :rolleyes: )

I think a good way to look at plant deployment (to coin a phrase :rolleyes: ) is as described on https://chameleonacademy.com/plants/
I.e. start with a "centerpiece" choice, and progress outward & downward from there.
IMO it simplifies plant selection. YMMV.

Another chart (some duplication from above):
View attachment 282267
Wow I didnt know they were so much. But my second choice was going to be a mass cane plant so maybe that one, I'm not sure about how much light it needs but I know it grows to a pretty good size.

Wow I didnt know they were so much. But my second choice was going to be a mass cane plant so maybe that one, I'm not sure about how much light it needs but I know it grows to a pretty good size.
They're quite expensive here ($200+); they may be more reasonable in other areas. Supply/Demand.
I have a mass cane; when I bought it, they were running $120-$150 for 3 in a pot (2', 3' & 4').
I found a single (3') with 5 other varieties of dracaena—all in the same pot—for $60 on a clearance... Yoink! All are separated & repotted; they're feeling MUCH better now.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...ld-you-want-to-live-here.178725/#post-1616875

Mass Cane Light Requirements
Dracaena massangeana needs moderate bright light, protected from direct sunlight. Light helps the indoor tree-like plant grow well. Mass cane plants will also grow in shaded areas or rooms with little natural sunlight. The best place for a mass cane pot is near an east-facing window.
https://leafyplace.com/mass-cane-dracaena-massangeana/

They're quite expensive here ($200+); they may be more reasonable in other areas. Supply/Demand.
I have a mass cane; when I bought it, they were running $120-$150 for 3 in a pot (2', 3' & 4').
I found a single (3') with 5 other varieties of dracaena—all in the same pot—for $60 on a clearance... Yoink! All are separated & repotted; they're feeling MUCH better now.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...ld-you-want-to-live-here.178725/#post-1616875
Holy crap! Where do you live that plants are that expensive? Antarctica?

You have done a wonderful job! Just a couple more plants and it will be good to go! ? (y)

Holy crap! Where do you live that plants are that expensive? Antarctica?
Close—Northeastern US. Those plants are tropical, so won't survive a winter here, so are strictly houseplants. We can't get them at local big-box stores—only specialty garden stores—so... yeah, they bring top $.

This also means you can make out OK at the end of the season, as the garden stores don't want to pay to keep tropicals warm over the winter, so they put them on clearance sales.

It may be different in other northeastern locations; I'm also limited by driving distance.

Wow very expensive

Close—Northeastern US. Those plants are tropical, so won't survive a winter here, so are strictly houseplants. We can't get them at local big-box stores—only specialty garden stores—so... yeah, they bring top $.

This also means you can make out OK at the end of the season, as the garden stores don't want to pay to keep tropicals warm over the winter, so they put them on clearance sales.

It may be different in other northeastern locations; I'm also limited by driving distance.
Oh...got it. I never needed any tropical plants when I lived in New England. I was in a pretty rural area so I’d get most of my garden plants from roadside stands. Only needed to buy annuals from stores.

I went with a Boston fern and a wandering Jew for color. I think the fern will add nice texture to the environment. Hoped the pothos and fern come together to make a nice hiding place once they grow. He favors the money tree and I find him sleeping upside down often.... now just to keep everything alive ???

73CAF976-FCA6-4817-B49D-FDCC64451C9A.jpeg
AB9B9414-0F2A-43AA-A3E4-67A8AD6C7999.jpeg

I went with a Boston fern and a wandering Jew for color. I think the fern will add nice texture to the environment. Hoped the pothos and fern come together to make a nice hiding place once they grow. He favors the money tree and I find him sleeping upside down often.... now just to keep everything alive ???

View attachment 282270View attachment 282271
Wandering Jew? That's one i never heard of, but googled it...and sure enough.

Hi you could run some branch horizontal from your vertical ones front to back and add some bromelia for colours

Wandering Jews are fairly hard to kill off, much like the pothos. And, given the right light, they do give off a nice purple accent. But if they aren't getting enough light the leaves turn green.
My whole garden bed is filled with them. We started with one little sprig from a friend last summer.
20201014_094332.jpg
20201010_094006.jpg

(Ignore the wiring/fencing. My husband wants them to travel upwards. Lol)

Wandering Jews are fairly hard to kill off, much like the pothos. And, given the right light, they do give off a nice purple accent. But if they aren't getting enough light the leaves turn green.
My whole garden bed is filled with them. We started with one little sprig from a friend last summer.
View attachment 282280View attachment 282282
(Ignore the wiring/fencing. My husband wants them to travel upwards. Lol)
These are very hard to kill off my grandma has them all over her yard lol

We had one suvive a New England winter in the front hedge. We thought it had croaked in the fall, so I just emptied the whole pot over the railing into the bushes so the soil would filter down through. The WJ got stuck on top, and in the spring, it was thriving, though it had no root system—just a long vine growing at both ends. It was like an air plant except that air plants usually have roots.

Weirdest thing we ever saw (for a houseplant). Missus stuck one end in a pot of soil and the durned thing rooted again and had a second life.

Back
Top Bottom