First Chameleon Ivy :)

Chillinsideways

Hello, I purchased my first Chameleon yesterday. This has been a animal I have hoped to own for a long long time. I am just here to share her, but also I am having humidity control issues so I'm going to invest in mister. Any suggestions? Also added some pics if anyone else wants to suggest anything

Attachments

• IMG_20210227_183339.jpg
    IMG_20210227_183339.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_20210227_145440.jpg
    IMG_20210227_145440.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_20210227_200236.jpg
    IMG_20210227_200236.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 99
You're going to need a lot of plants and branches to fill it in. Live plants to help with humidity. Also you will need the right lighting. It looks like you only have one light. You will need one for uvb and one for basking.

From the Resources section: "Live plants help increase and maintain humidity."

For safe plants, and the theory of how to set them up, see: https://chameleonacademy.com/plants/

In fact, the whole Chameleon Academy site is worth perusing.

Most folks here probably have a MistKing. The starter kit is sufficient, but you may need to get an additional nozzle.

You're going to need a lot of plants and branches to fill it in. Live plants to help with humidity. Also you will need the right lighting. It looks like you only have one light. You will need one for uvb and one for basking.
I do have both lights uvb and basking

Hello! And welcome to the forums!! Very sweet little cham you have!! It's probably best to fill this out so someone can go over husbandry issues with you.

For lighting, if you follow the chart below you can safely adjust your enclosure to be able to use the t8. Any chance you get, I would def upgrade.

For humidity, I agree w the live plants. You can also use a window kit from a home depot or lowes. I added a picture for reference 😉
You will also want to take a look at the husbandry program on chameleon academy and read through it.

This can be found here: https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

At some point you will want a lay bin for your girl. I provided some links about egg laying and bins as well. The video is from neptune the chameleon who is also a great resource!

I have attached some plant recommendations, lighting chart, gutloading info, and feeder info.

Filling this out with picture and as much detail as possibly will definitely give you a great start!! Again welcome!!! ❤❤❤

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful

Attachments

• 1614095409671.png
    1614095409671.png
    886.4 KB · Views: 93
  • 74859686-15C0-43D3-A26D-9B6096C6B118.jpeg
    74859686-15C0-43D3-A26D-9B6096C6B118.jpeg
    210.8 KB · Views: 73
  • F7E99BA6-7110-49BD-8993-CD35672F5D14.jpeg
    F7E99BA6-7110-49BD-8993-CD35672F5D14.jpeg
    177.1 KB · Views: 72
  • E86C027C-A8F7-4BD6-8FBF-6E0A6601E4B4.jpeg
    E86C027C-A8F7-4BD6-8FBF-6E0A6601E4B4.jpeg
    929 KB · Views: 69
  • 3538E654-88BB-41BA-BB2B-E7AE52CC1726.jpeg
    3538E654-88BB-41BA-BB2B-E7AE52CC1726.jpeg
    200.8 KB · Views: 69
  • 5EC108E7-5AF7-43AB-A555-8AEF67AD2F61.jpeg
    5EC108E7-5AF7-43AB-A555-8AEF67AD2F61.jpeg
    208.7 KB · Views: 74
  • Screenshot_20210302-133614_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210302-133614_Chrome.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 86
Hello! And welcome to the forums!! Very sweet little cham you have!! It's probably best to fill this out so someone can go over husbandry issues with you.

For lighting, if you follow the chart below you can safely adjust your enclosure to be able to use the t8. Any chance you get, I would def upgrade.

For humidity, I agree w the live plants. You can also use a window kit from a home depot or lowes. I added a picture for reference 😉
You will also want to take a look at the husbandry program on chameleon academy and read through it.

This can be found here: https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

At some point you will want a lay bin for your girl. I provided some links about egg laying and bins as well. The video is from neptune the chameleon who is also a great resource!

I have attached some plant recommendations, lighting chart, gutloading info, and feeder info.

Filling this out with picture and as much detail as possibly will definitely give you a great start!! Again welcome!!! ❤❤❤

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful

Thankyou this is alot of info so let's see because I am at work right now
Female panther
Enclosure is 18x18x36
Temps are mid 70s to 80 during the day and don't drop below 60 at night
Humidty fluctuates during the day(this is what I am working the most on) lows of 35 and highs of 60. I currently mist 3 times by had 8,12,8. humidity at night is above 80 this is done by using a baby humidifier by the enclosure.
She has been in my care since Saturday and was only handled durning her transportation so far (trying to give her space to destress). But over time I hope she will be one of the rare ones and actually want me to bring her out to a tree and stuff
Right now her enclosure is in my living room/ work area because I do work from home in a 1 bed apartment (this will be changing around June to a larger at minimum 2 beds apartment but possibly larger) geographically located in california sacramento area
She was purchased from the reptile and aquarium depot near me.
Age was unknown but I'm guessing somewhere around 5-6 months old based off her size
No poops yet
She has a dripper going all 12 hours of her light and I have seen her drinking from it at various points
Cage is screen with shower curtain covering 2 sides currently the right side and back side.
My most pressing concerns would be egg laying (as you can see egg bin in from of cage) and control of humidity as well as general tips and tricks for care. I did find out my local green acres nursery works with one of.my local reptile stores and has a area with reptile safe and recommended plants so I will prob go get some live plants this weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_20210302_122241.jpg
    IMG_20210302_122241.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_20210302_122249.jpg
    IMG_20210302_122249.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_20210302_122259.jpg
    IMG_20210302_122259.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20210302_122328.jpg
    IMG_20210302_122328.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_20210302_122338.jpg
    IMG_20210302_122338.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_20210302_122345.jpg
    IMG_20210302_122345.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_20210302_122402.jpg
    IMG_20210302_122402.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 67
Cage update have added live plants and replace any plastic plants with silk ones. She still has not eaten more than 6 crickets/roaches in a day and refused to eat horn worm or super worm at this point is that odd?

Attachments

• IMG_20210305_190844.jpg
    IMG_20210305_190844.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 72
How big are the supers and hornworms compared to her? Do you track how much she eats or is this just how many times you have seen her eat?

Welcome to the forums! My first chameleon is named Ivy as well. There are a lot of great suggestions here. You've made some good changes to your initial setup. Keep in mind that chameleons are very sensitive, so while it may not seem like a big deal to us - it normally is to them. How many days has it been since you made the changes?

How big are the supers and hornworms compared to her? Do you track how much she eats or is this just how many times you have seen her eat?
I loosely track I don't write the numbers down just go off memory. Horn worms were and super worms were not very fat but they are a bit lint maybe about an inch plus

Welcome to the forums! My first chameleon is named Ivy as well. There are a lot of great suggestions here. You've made some good changes to your initial setup. Keep in mind that chameleons are very sensitive, so while it may not seem like a big deal to us - it normally is to them. How many days has it been since you made the changes?
Changes were made today and tomorrow I will have had her a week

Cage update have added live plants and replace any plastic plants with silk ones.
:confused: Why would you replace artificial plants with more artificial plants? :unsure:

It's not a matter of eating them; as everyone who has recommended live plants has said, it's about humidity. Artificial plants do not transpire. ALL plants should be live. 🤓

:confused: Why would you replace artificial plants with more artificial plants? :unsure:

It's not a matter of eating them; as everyone who has recommended live plants has said, it's about humidity. Artificial plants do not transpire. ALL plants should be live. 🤓
I replaced hard plastic plants with softer silk plants+live plants because it is currently able to provide the most coverage and hiding in her enclosure while keeping live plants in it. When I get her a larger enclosure with more ground space I will likely make the change to exclusively live plants.

Back
Top Bottom