First chameleon, have to change substrate. What to do with my cham?

Treerhino

image.jpg
So I have a Fischer’s chameleon variant, I am assuming kinyongia vosseleri. He is definitely not a hatchling any more but I’m not sure if hes an adult just yet. Long story short the place I bought him from recomemded bark for substrate (bad idea and I now know why) so I am planning on switching it out. Only problem is he is a nervous fellow as is, and this is going to be really invasive of his cage. So I decided I want to move him somewhere before maintenance but am not sure what is ideal. My current idea is a large cricket tub with a couple of sticks in it and the side misted but I am open to other ideas. Also I was considering swapping the wood chips for newspapers unless an empty tub is the best course of action. And if there is anything else wrong with my husbandry please let me know, I just want the best for Charlie. Pics for reference.

Ps. I plan on adding some more perches during the maintenance.
image.jpg
282E4564-1F41-49B3-9F6F-6DFA63267A1B.jpeg
image.jpg

Last edited:
Btw sorry about all the duplicate photos not sure what happened (fixed it)

Last edited:
One thing I like to do is set up a vine or two (or rope) in my cage that leads out and is wrapped slightly around a tree (ficus or hibiscus). My Cham was never handled and still is wary about it, so it all works out by letting him come out at his leisure. He hangs out on the tree while I clean his cage/do rearrangements.

Now I will say, I set this up for him daily before he got used to the idea of coming out. It took him about 3 days until he finally did decide to come out.

Now when I set it up, he climbs out immediately!

Pics: two variations of what I’ve done. 1st is a vine leading to a hibiscus. 2nd is what I’ve developed over time. The gist for me is just get a safe plant, set it up higher than his cage, attach something he can climb on from cage to plant, and the magic happens!

Attachments

• DB51CF3E-7267-4B73-BBB8-EF03C4733BA1.jpeg
    DB51CF3E-7267-4B73-BBB8-EF03C4733BA1.jpeg
    387.9 KB · Views: 120
  • B48B4469-7D6D-49E8-B1A8-40AF3D9DA219.jpeg
    B48B4469-7D6D-49E8-B1A8-40AF3D9DA219.jpeg
    257.9 KB · Views: 94
Thank you for the reply I will definitely try the vine idea, but I will need a plant for him. He comes to the front of the cage every morning at 4:30 am to ask for the lights and doesn’t seem scared if I open up to mist while he is there. I will try to get him used to the vine in the mornings. Also nice veiled chameleon :)

Last edited:
Hi, you’re not doing a bioactive enclosure there. Substrate is or I should say can be harmful (your Cham might eat it...also you need some more coverage, both fake and real plants, up front for privacy, I’d remove the substrate completely, line the bottom with newspapers and add more perches, of varying sizes ( sticks from the yard) cleaned well...this is just some advice I’ve already had...you’ve got a nice start...also do you have a uvb light? If you do it’s a compact fluorescent which is unsuitable and needs to be replaced with a linear t5ho bulb for uvb...I’m just given you some friendly advice :) ...also be sure to read basic husbandry and supplementation which you can find by searching in the search bar...great advice there!!! Good luck with your new pal !!!

@Tucklander ya I already planned on removing substrate all together, I thought I mentioned that and said I was thinking of newspaper. Also mentioned I was planning on adding more perches, didn’t say I also had like double the amount of leafs and vines to attach to them. My goal is to have several areas curtained off for privacy. As for the uvb bulb, I have a 10.0 uvb 13 watt reptisun from zoo med, whats wrong with that? Thanks for taking the time to respond and for your advice :)

Even at 10.0 the compact uvb lights are frowned upon, I may not be seeing your linear light? Cool on the other things (sorry I didn’t read thoroughly) hey I was begging for advice at first so I was just trying to help :) honestly

Back
Top Bottom