First chameleon cage setup

Thank you all for the input. I will definitely go with a breeder.

A few quick questions as I continue to fiddle with the setup.

When my automatic mister arrives, what time intervals are best? 3x a day for 5 mins? Before lights, mid day, then before lights out? Or something different?

Also, I am worried because when I hand mist, my basking temp goes from 78 down to 61 and takes about an hour to get back up. Is that ok?

Thank you all!

So you will want to tag @JacksJill in questions that are specific to Jacksons like this one about misting duration... Otherwise you make get incorrect feedback for what people do with their Veileds or Panthers.

I got my first chameleon from FLchams, they have really good service and great success rate with overnight shipping. They sell a wide variety of chams, and have good bloodlines. Just a thought.

I run my mister for my Jackson's*:
  1. 2 minutes 30 minutes after lights on but before the basking light comes on.
  2. 15 seconds at 10 AM (basking light is off spring summer early fall)
  3. 15 seconds at 1 PM (basking light is off spring summer early fall)
  4. 15 seconds at 4 PM (basking light is off spring summer early fall)
  5. 2 minutes 30 minutes before lights out after basking light is off
*This is what works for my house and my setups you will have to adjust accordingly for your house/weather and expect to make adjustments as the seasons change and you heat or AC affects things. I'm trying to maintain 40-50% daytime humidity and I use a cool mist humidifier directed into each cage over their ~sleep spot to get 80-100% for much of the night.

I would mist for 2 minutes, not 45 seconds. But yes, 5 minutes is extreme.

I'd even still say 2 minutes is extreme. I'm on the mindset that the OP doesn't have a drainage system for the enclosure and based on the lack of potted plants at the base of the enclosure there isn't much of a place to collect excess water.

Then again it all depends on what auto misting system you go with. MistKings are what I'm familiar with and 45 seconds on one nozzle should be more than enough to provide hydration for the Cham as well as boosting the humidity levels.

I run my mister for my Jackson's*:
  1. 2 minutes 30 minutes after lights on but before the basking light comes on.
  2. 15 seconds at 10 AM (basking light is off spring summer early fall)
  3. 15 seconds at 1 PM (basking light is off spring summer early fall)
  4. 15 seconds at 4 PM (basking light is off spring summer early fall)
  5. 2 minutes 30 minutes before lights out after basking light is off
*This is what works for my house and my setups you will have to adjust accordingly for your house/weather and expect to make adjustments as the seasons change and you heat or AC affects things. I'm trying to maintain 40-50% daytime humidity and I use a cool mist humidifier directed into each cage over their ~sleep spot to get 80-100% for much of the night.

This makes a lot of sense. I'm glad you called out the key part that I bolded

45 seconds on one nozzle should be more than enough to provide hydration for the Cham

Many chams take up to 2 minutes to be stimulated to drink/clean their eyes, so I'd hesitate to state that as fact - particularly with montane species, which generally have greater water needs. (y)

If the OP doesnt have drainage, I'd look into rigging something up!

I appreciate the feedback. I know I'll need to adjust according to my own micro-conditions, I just wasnt sure where to start!

This weekend I am buying a bathroom cabinet and skin top to put the cage right over. I'll drill some holes in the plastic and put a bucket under the cabinet. Viola! Seems easy to clean and will look nice in our room.

@JacksJill

How do you set your automatic mister to have that time schedule? Did you buy a separate timer to plug the mister into? I have the monsoon solo, so all I can do is pick hour intervals and one length of sprayer time.

Thanks!

@JacksJill

How do you set your automatic mister to have that time schedule? Did you buy a separate timer to plug the mister into? I have the monsoon solo, so all I can do is pick hour intervals and one length of sprayer time.

Thanks!
I believe she has a mistking. with a seconds timer you can control exacts how long and frequency.

Ok, after making the suggested adjustments, here is the new setup! The new UVB is coming in the next few days, so I will switch the existing uvb light to a plant grow light for the pothos. Basking temp is 78-79. Automatic mister installed in the corner. Dripper will go in if urates aren't white. Substrate removed. I found an end table at the goodwill that is 24 x 24, so my upgraded enclosure will fit down the line. I will be drilling a hole in the center of it and putting a tray in the drawer. I have a center drain drip pan coming in the mail in the next few days.

It looks a little cramped but there is actually good room to hide on the vines under the plant in the back.

Now I just need to order a dang chameleon!

Thanks for all your help!

Attachments

• 20191111_110556.jpg
    20191111_110556.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 118
  • 20191111_110615.jpg
    20191111_110615.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 69
  • 20191111_110622.jpg
    20191111_110622.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 74
Back