First attempt to "handle" = Epic FAIL

lslcronk

We had a beautiful day in the formerly known artic tundra of Minnesota, so being a happy chammy mom I thought I would try to get the little guy outside...I mistakenly thought our relationship was going better then Claude does...ugh. Didnt even try to touch him, just tried to get him onto a stick to a plant to take out. Apparantly, kamakazi style suicide attempts are still preferable to me, as he lept off his perch into the side of his cage (fortunately I have a sheet of coconut fiber up to coushion the blow) and splatted on the the mattress of paper towel on the cage floor (again a fortunate placement of padding). :( So, how long until I try again? Do I give him a few days to recover from his "SHE'S GONNA EAT ME" experience? He sat on the cage floor for a bit but has since climbed his way back to his usual areas, I dont believe he is injured at all, it is just a baby cage. I am not going to try the stick idea again, I am going with the "open the door with a plant on the outside and hope he comes out on his own" approach. :(

My Mitso was the same way jumped off everything. Now he tolerates being handled because he knows it means outside.

What worked for me was I wrapped him in a piece of cloth like a t shirt. I carried him outside and then opened the cloth in a cage or in a plant. I figured outside was worth a little stress. I also only handle him to go outside and when I weigh him its on the way outside lol.
Again only reason Im suggesting it is so Claude can benifit from outside time ;)

Well I sortof had the same thing happen with Ozzie but a bit different. I felt all confident since he was trying to climb back up to me when we had company over to show them how he would catch his food...well he refused to eat and I thought it was because of all the people becuz he was constantly trying to climb back to me even when they were holding him but even after they left I still cannot get him to eat :( Did I do wrong by letting other people handle him?

See mine likes to play a game called spin where he will spin around a branch to escape my presence pulling a full 360... I've been trying the food presentation approach and it seems to be helping... Just go at the chams pace... Slow introduction...

Jabba is none to happy about me trying to pick him up, or if I have to put anything in his cage he has not seen before. He tried to attack the towel I was using to get him out the first time. Like the others have said go at your chams pace, but don't give up and you cant back off just because they try to show you who is boss.

When I do get him out of his home, he instantly tries to climb up to my shoulder so he is higher up, I find he is less stressed when he is eye level or higher.

Jabba is none to happy about me trying to pick him up, or if I have to put anything in his cage he has not seen before. He tried to attack the towel I was using to get him out the first time. Like the others have said go at your chams pace, but don't give up and you cant back off just because they try to show you who is boss.

When I do get him out of his home, he instantly tries to climb up to my shoulder so he is higher up, I find he is less stressed when he is eye level or higher.

Definitely the same... I usually hold my hand at or above eye level

hahaha! Good story... i can definitely sympathize :D ! I love my Jackson's so much and take care of every need but how does he repay me? Gaping mouth and biting attempts when escape is futile!

Thanks guys! lol I feel better now! I guess I was ready to let him win...my BF said "I think you should try again" and I was too scared to stress him! I will NOT however be telling the BF he was right! haha It looks beautiful again today so hopefully after the mother's day lunch I will make a second attempt!! I have only had him about 3 weeks, so I can be patient (unfortunately in MN, one must take advantage of the nice weather when you can, it only lasts about 2 1/2 months!! grrrr)

Back
Top Bottom