Finished the buggo rack!

cyberlocc

Chameleon Enthusiast
Finished my new buggo rack. I am not yet a Carpenter, but I am getting better :).

Top to bottom it's made to fit.

2 - Acrylic 10"x 20"x 6" tubs (going to have to custom make these I think) Spanish Orange or Giant canyon Isopods, and Superworms/ Darkling Beetles.

2 - Zilla 18x18x20 terrariums. 1 for Ghosts, and 1 for Pinkwings.

2 - 10 gallon Aquariums (right now I only have 2, different brands, but all will be replaced with Zilla Critter Cages I think they are called) Snail's, Harley Quinn beetles.

2 - 10 gallon Aquariums (again will be Zillas) this one, is heated with Heat Panel. There is Aluminum Foil tape, on the top above the Aquariums, on the back around the heat tape (not under it) and 3 inches on either side. This will help reflect the heat and optimize it's spread, I hope.

In the coming weeks, there is a few more upgrades to make. There will be a 1/4 inch line, which has holes running through every shelf, that will feed a mister nozzle (or 2) for every enclosure.

The Aquariums and Acrylics, will have there nozzle above them, mounted to the shelf above and spray through the screen. The Terrariums will be mounted inside. Each nozzle will be valved, to control flow into each enclosure.

Every shelf, will be lit, with 95cri 6000k LEDs, about 2000, lumens per shelf, on a TC420 programmable dimmer. They will all ramp up and down as the day goes. And may ramp differently on a per shelf basis, each shelf has is it's own channel.

All wiring for the LEDs and misters, run inside the enclosure, so that it can be screwed to the wall flush.

There is a 4inch by 3/4inch channel of opening between each shelf and the roof. And on the top, a 120mm fan, to pull air through the unit to help with ventilation.

It stands 7 feet tall, 24in wide, and 20 inches deep. Made completely from 1/2, inch cabinet grade Douglas Fir, and Douglas Fir 1x2 Trim Boards. The face trim is stained "Natural Red" and the rest is "Satin Black" Krylon Color Max.

Attachments

• IMG_20190704_190442.jpg
    IMG_20190704_190442.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_20190704_190455.jpg
    IMG_20190704_190455.jpg
    446.7 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_20190704_190447.jpg
    IMG_20190704_190447.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_20190704_193350.jpg
    IMG_20190704_193350.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 125
Finished my new buggo rack. I am not yet a Carpenter, but I am getting better :).

Top to bottom it's made to fit.

2 - Acrylic 10"x 20"x 6" tubs (going to have to custom make these I think) Spanish Orange or Giant canyon Isopods, and Superworms/ Darkling Beetles.

2 - Zilla 18x18x20 terrariums. 1 for Ghosts, and 1 for Pinkwings.

2 - 10 gallon Aquariums (right now I only have 2, different brands, but all will be replaced with Zilla Critter Cages I think they are called) Snail's, Harley Quinn beetles.

2 - 10 gallon Aquariums (again will be Zillas) this one, is heated with Heat Panel. There is Aluminum Foil tape, on the top above the Aquariums, on the back around the heat tape (not under it) and 3 inches on either side. This will help reflect the heat and optimize it's spread, I hope.

In the coming weeks, there is a few more upgrades to make. There will be a 1/4 inch line, which has holes running through every shelf, that will feed a mister nozzle (or 2) for every enclosure.

The Aquariums and Acrylics, will have there nozzle above them, mounted to the shelf above and spray through the screen. The Terrariums will be mounted inside. Each nozzle will be valved, to control flow into each enclosure.

Every shelf, will be lit, with 95cri 6000k LEDs, about 2000, lumens per shelf, on a TC420 programmable dimmer. They will all ramp up and down as the day goes. And may ramp differently on a per shelf basis, each shelf has is it's own channel.

All wiring for the LEDs and misters, run inside the enclosure, so that it can be screwed to the wall flush.

There is a 4inch by 3/4inch channel of opening between each shelf and the roof. And on the top, a 120mm fan, to pull air through the unit to help with ventilation.

It stands 7 feet tall, 24in wide, and 20 inches deep. Made completely from 1/2, inch cabinet grade Douglas Fir, and Douglas Fir 1x2 Trim Boards. The face trim is stained "Natural Red" and the rest is "Satin Black" Krylon Color Max.
Need this in my life.

Need this in my life.

It's effiencient too. It's going to be right beside my large Viv, so it can tap into it's mist king pump. I am going to use a Solenoid valve with a seconds timer, so the bugs only get 30 sec mists, while the big Viv gets 2-5 mins.

My large Viv, with the light cover on top is the same size, and will have the same cherry accents :p. They will look like 1.

Only till the bug room is done, late this summer or early next, then this will get repurposed for other critters.

I was just tired of the bins, and my current Bookshelf wasn't the right size. I was like I can build a rack, with everything I want, and hold All glass Vivs, with misting and lighting, for not that much (this rack, all and all (minus stuff I already had, like stain, and wood glue, nails for the nail gun) was 150.

Last edited:
Funny how this hobby leads to carpentry ;) I just finished a rolling shelf cart for my one enclosure, perfectly fits and room for bugs and mister on shelves underneath. Looked around forever but nothing quite worked so decided to build from scratch. Was schooled in basic carpentry pitfalls, and 20 braces later it stands stable. Hehe... Gratifying as hell. Yours is awesome.

Very cool. Are the harlequin beetles for feeders?

Yep, going to try the grubs and the Beetles see if Cham will take to either one. I see it as breedable butters :p.

Worst case, I will use them as more CuC, and throw something else in the tank.

I really wish I could do Sun Beetles, but can't find them in the US for sale, so Harley Quinn are the closest :(.

I was looking for sun beetles a while back. I think they are illegal. I know bugs in cyberspace has flower beetles available occasionally though.

I always like when I see a more unique colony. I haven't read about the harlequin beetles at all, but they look cool. Hope they do well for you, keep us updated!

I was looking for sun beetles a while back. I think they are illegal. I know bugs in cyberspace has flower beetles available occasionally though.

I always like when I see a more unique colony. I haven't read about the harlequin beetles at all, but they look cool. Hope they do well for you, keep us updated!

Yes I too think they are "Illegal" or just not in the US hobby. Of course, I like the Moonlight Mantids guys Approach. He has the YT video talking about Mantid legality, and he is like

"There legal, period. I know people say there is Permits, but if you bother enough people long enough, they will find a permit for you. Stop bothering people, be responsible, and do your thing"

That's the jist anyway, and there is alot more cussing in his way lol. I really think he is right though. Same with like sticks and stuff, if your being responsible you ain't hurting anyone, or the local ecology then whatever. However if you keep bugging about permits and telling them you want them to tell you it's illegal, they will.

Hmm I will check out the Flower Beetles too. That's who had the Harley Quinn's, them and I think it was roach crossing.

I know the grubs have serious pincers, so that's a concern, you smoosh their head I guess. They could make a good live in feeder as well, as the grubs are good CUC and I think the beetles fly, they defiantly crawl up stuff.

I may be adding a fruiting plant. I really want a couple of pretty strong vines for my large Viv, however since I want only Malagasy Plants, that limits options to Madgascar Jasmine, and Purple Passion Fruit. I have the former, starting now, I may add the latter. That's not to say it will fruit for me, but we will see :).

Shoot if I could even get those drop dead gorgeous passion fruit flowers I would be happy :). I attached a pic of you haven't seen them.

Right now, I have the Jasmine with small white flowers, and the Dwarwins Orchid, with a Large white flowers. Purple flowers in a sea of green would be gorgeous.

Attachments

• il_570xN.487980185_cqqm.jpg
    il_570xN.487980185_cqqm.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Yup those grubs have scary pincers. Always freaked me out a bit lol.

Man that flower is beautiful! Where do you find all of your malagasy plants, do you order online? Or locally?

The legal aspect with all these things is a little strange. I posted about my d gigantea on another forum and a few people started getting on me about them being illegal. It seems nobody cares if you have them or not as long as you're being responsible as you mention.

Yup those grubs have scary pincers. Always freaked me out a bit lol.

Man that flower is beautiful! Where do you find all of your malagasy plants, do you order online? Or locally?

The legal aspect with all these things is a little strange. I posted about my d gigantea on another forum and a few people started getting on me about them being illegal. It seems nobody cares if you have them or not as long as you're being responsible as you mention.

A little of both,

Some are common in the houseplant hobby, others are a little more rare, and require online purchasing. It took alot of time to find out exact strains etc of some of them as well, some I know are kept but have yet to find.

I just finnaly got a Nepthenes Madgascarensis. I tried once a year ago, with one on eBay, but it was in Poland. The guy fudged the paperwork, and it got taken :(. Couple weeks ago, I found a lady with a few she had grown from seeds (hard to come by viable seeds) and snapped it up.

It's just a little baby, but hopefully I can grow it large and strong. It's semi vining, it will attach to a tree or walls, but still grows straight, and just as a bush most the time.

It ended up costing me 65 for this little guy, and Predatory Plants does sell them, sometimes, however in the almost 2 years I been trying to get one, I have found 2 for sale. I attached a pic of the babe, and a full grown.

Another rarer one, is my Huperiza Squarrosa (I think that's the one, it's the Malagasy SP) these things cost an insane amount of money, I think they can be propagated with clippings. So when I got them, I think they were clipped, and the old growth was thin, and seems to be maybe dying, I am not sure, it's kind of wilting on the bend. However the new shoot, that's about 5 inches came out after putting it in the Viv about 3 weeks ago, and in 3 weeks it has shot out like that. There is also another stem sprouting both of those are easily 4-5x thicker than the old growth, and this is actually 2 of them, planted together. And a pic of a Mature.

The Darwin's Orchid, I had to buy online as well, and am going to get some more, They may sell these local, but they Bloom on Malagasy time. Even being grown by hobbyists that timeline is instilled in them, so they Bloom Nov-Decish, during the start of the Madgascar Wet season. (No pics of it direct on my phone, so flowered pic)

I also have a Tuberous Sword Fern, that I got from a Floridian. You can pic up Boston ferns at local shops, which look similar, but they are slightly different. (Found out later, these are like your Sticks. They are all Madgascar SP, and invaded Florida.) He's not doing too hot yet, but they assure me, given some time it will explode and bush up.

Bird's nest ferns, are hit or miss, when looking for Malagasy SP. I have got one that is, and one that is not. I have seen (should have bought them that day) 2 that were, then went back to get them and they had ones that were not. There is a few different varietys, of them called bird's nest ferns, but they are not the same. So you have to kind of get them sight seen, or buy online and pray. (No pics on my phone Malagasy pic)

Then, there is the easier ones. All easy to find at Home stores.

Madgascar Dragon Tree, Draecena Marginata.

Draecena Reflexa (Song of India/Song of Jamaica)

Polka Dot plant (not sure the Latin, I know it but can't recall ATM) (this add alot of color to a Viv ground) these I think are great for any Bioactive. They are an alarm of sorts. They are super duper needy, they need the perfect amount of water, the old moniker of Moist not Wet.

They Litteraly wilt on command, you can watch them wilt in a 30 min period, and then water them and unwilt them just as fast. Too much light and they get alot of white and red, and lose their "Polka Dots, mine are currently recieving ALOT of light), Not enough light, and they turn solid green and lose their white and red and pinks. They will thrive in either, their colors will just change. So it's like a grown in Par meter :). The more white/red, the closer to "Full sun" conditions, the normally shown online "optimal color" of a even mix of green and white/pink/red, is Partial sun/partial shade, and if they are all green, they are in shady conditions.

Stephanotis Floribunda (Madgascar Jasmine) (hit pic limit, it's pretty common, white flowered Vine grows up to 30 feet or so long, I plan to train it around the walls)

There is a few other easys, but I don't have them yet, and forget the names of most (I have a list somewhere), couple palms, (I think Madgascar Palm is one) and not sure I am going to add them, want to be careful not to have too many, and let these grow in a bit. There is a few more orchids and ferns I want to add on the walls however.

Attachments

• IMG_20190624_185613.jpg
    IMG_20190624_185613.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 71
  • Nepenthes_madagascariensis_plants.jpg
    Nepenthes_madagascariensis_plants.jpg
    715.2 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_20190705_094712.jpg
    IMG_20190705_094712.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 78
  • download (1).jpeg
    download (1).jpeg
    13 KB · Views: 73
  • angsesquipedalem_1___54271.1536179483.jpg
    angsesquipedalem_1___54271.1536179483.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_20190705_094722.jpg
    IMG_20190705_094722.jpg
    330.5 KB · Views: 71
  • download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    15.4 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20190614_181300.jpg
    IMG_20190614_181300.jpg
    560.7 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_20190629_202844.jpg
    IMG_20190629_202844.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20190622_103751.jpg
    IMG_20190622_103751.jpg
    322.4 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
That is so cool, thanks for the descriptive response! Look forward to following along on your projects.

I always liked those polka dot plants. And those nepenthes are sweet the way they pop upwards.

That is so cool, thanks for the descriptive response! Look forward to following along on your projects.

I always liked those polka dot plants. And those nepenthes are sweet the way they pop upwards.

They are Super Duper neat. And will catch loose feeders!

The reason they are hard to find, is they are super hard to keep alive in captivity. Most people fail at it, they need bright light, tropical temps, and to be wet ALOT.

I have seen a guy succeed, in keeping them. He did so by placing them in a Lowland Vivarium, with lots of misting and some dripping. Which had kept at stable temps 75-85.

I feel like they will be easy to grow, in a Chameleon Viv, where with a dripper above them, they get their drip, they get Lowland temps (they are found, near pockets of panther locales, albiet not ones we keep in the hobby, as they are protected locales, except the all Red one (I forget the name). They are found in the North, but more Eastern north).

They in theory, could be found as far as Andasibe, just not any posted sightings, which doesn't mean much however.

Another cool fact, is they are the very first Nepthenes ever to be discovered, and were the forefront of the study of Carnivorous plants.

The guy who kept them in that Lowland stopped his blog, but when he did they stood almost 2 feet tall, and had there final form pitchers coming in. I think most hobbyists want to keep them on a kitchen window, other Neps can do this, that are not that unique looking so the hobby gave up on them.

Another problem, is with all Nep seeds, you have 45-60 days tops to get them into the ground. So alot of the seeds sold on eBay and the likes are spoiled. So finding Viable seeds, requires connections with a trustworthy Malagasy importer, or dumb luck.

Yep, going to try the grubs and the Beetles see if Cham will take to either one. I see it as breedable butters :p.

Worst case, I will use them as more CuC, and throw something else in the tank.

I really wish I could do Sun Beetles, but can't find them in the US for sale, so Harley Quinn are the closest :(.
So I work at a nursery and I’maways finding some huge grubs.. Can my Veiled eat them? As they’re not bad for his health?

Attachments

• 537CEE74-6CE9-4812-803D-1A54519007E0.png
    537CEE74-6CE9-4812-803D-1A54519007E0.png
    866.3 KB · Views: 76
So I work at a nursery and I’maways finding some huge grubs.. Can my Veiled eat them? As they’re not bad for his health?

I would try to indentify them as not poisionous, however yes. Grubs 100% can be fed to Chams and are tasty treats. They however are very fattening. So think of them as a treat like butterworms, and the like. And as has been discussed, The have some serious pincers. They eat decaying wood, so they need strong jaws.

I have heard, to break the jaws, however they do slide down rather fast, I know someone here use to find the really big ones (the Hercules beetles I think) Huge grubs to Tegus, without cracking jaws. He said they don't even chew, just slurp them down in joy.

I would grow some up, see what kind of beetle they are and breed to feed. And then if you have a bunch of animals that will take them, you can subsidize with others that you can confirm are the same.

They turned into some huge beetles... Like the super worms beetles but 3 times as big

Do you have a pic? Sounds like Hercules Beetles or Bark Beetles. I think they are safe, but best to get an ID and we can find out for you. Those are pretty large grubs then Ehh?

If you work at a nursery, you should try and grab some snail's too. Breed them as WC very likely have parasites. But they have an insane amount of calcium.

I am considering and have consulted a few experts, about replacing dusting altogher, with Snail's. It's likely a large portion of the calcium Chams get in the wild as well. 1 medium sized snail shell, would be equivalent to 10+ dusted feeders by my guess. Of course you should still vitamin and D3 dust, but the every feeding dusting, I think snail's could replace.

The snail's shell is pure calcium carbonate, they are also born with their shells as well, so feeding them to newborn Chams is also possible. Especially when 1 snail lays hundreds of eggs at a time. It's something I thoroughly plan to test.

The snail's also benefit from UVB, and generate VD3 from it just like a reptile, which may add a bit of that as well. Long-term testing would be needed, by someone more brave than I on that one however.

Tree snail's, which are legal to ship across state lines flat out require UVB, and are what Chams would likely eat. However they eat Moss and lichens that are hard for us to mimic. There is a guy on the snail boards, that says he found the secret sauce, but refuses to share as people will decimate the snail population and keep them he says.

I don't live in Florida to try myself, and have not had much luck getting someone to catch me some to try.

Most are in protected areas, though can be found outside of it. The snail hobbyists are very "Secret Society" like. They don't share much info they have, they keep rarer species and deny you the ability to, and always screaming about permits ect.

Last edited:
Do you have a pic? Sounds like Hercules Beetles or Bark Beetles. I think they are safe, but best to get an ID and we can find out for you. Those are pretty large grubs then Ehh?

If you work at a nursery, you should try and grab some snail's too. Breed them as WC very likely have parasites. But they have an insane amount of calcium.

I am considering and have consulted a few experts, about replacing dusting altogher, with Snail's. It's likely a large portion of the calcium Chams get in the wild as well. 1 medium sized snail shell, would be equivalent to 10+ dusted feeders by my guess. Of course you should stuff vitamin and D3 dust, but the every feeding dusting, I think snail's could replace.
Yes they're huge grubs.. Like Huge.. I believe it's a Palo Verde Borer Beetle... Since most grubs are only found at Palo Verde. The worm (grub) looks like a Japanese beetle grub, but the size doesn't match. Those beetles are probably 1/3 of the grubs size. We do have Snails... We are not supposed to though..... I'm not really good at breeding anything lol... They eat them with the shell? This is new to me.

Last edited:
we do have Snails... We are not supposed to though..... I'm not really good at breeding anything lol... They eat them with the shell? This is new to me.

Yep they eat them shell and all. The shell is pure Calcium Carbonate (just like our calcium dust.)

There was even a thread about snails, where someone had WC Jackson's and he said they even knew how to eat them. Most Chams will try to shoot at them and then learn. However he said his Jackson's, already knew. They walked up and slurped it right up, didn't bother shooting it, he already knew exactly what it was, and how to eat it.

Breeding snail's is super duper easy.

You Litteraly can't kill them, unless your my wife.

They only breed, like around now though. I had one clutch this year, didn't notice the eggs in time to transplant them so wasted clutch. Then my wife went to feed them and there was Gnats in there, or FFs. So she took it out side to feed and let the flies out, then got a call and left them outside.

I had 12 adults now I have 3. If you want to kill them, put them outside in 90 degree whether in an aquarium for a few hours, you will have roasted snail :). I am praying my 3 left, will breed for me though, and this time I am checking hard for eggs :).

The only thing with snail's, is they eat ALOT, they eat more in a day then my Halloween Hissers eat in a week. And the snail's will eat every single day! I have 40 Hissers and had 12 adult snail's.

The 3 snail's I have now, will eat a apple slice (like an 8th of an apple) in about 30 mins. With a colony of 20/30 adults, they would likely eat a full apple a night. These things eat like crazzy. I don't know if they need that much food, or truly container sizing.

I have seen some reports, of varying idealogy on the subject. But I am just not sure.

The snail hobbyists say 1 adult per gallon, your not going to feed adults and they live for years, so 5-6 adults maybe a couple more, and a bunch of babies that get fed mid sized, would probably be fine. I will let you know once I get a valid clutch.

I guess you will see die offs if there is too many.

Last edited:
On the subject of nepenthes, I haven't kept the madagascan species, but have several and have found they really thrived in my Parsons enclosure. Right under bright light and misters that sprayed heavy.

For the snails, I have a colony of helix aspersa, got my first eggs last year. I have used CB isopods in place of dusting before as well, but only occasionally. My cham has been picky about the snails lately and the isopods I think are a little too small for him now, he's been ignoring them.

Back
Top Bottom