Finished the buggo rack!

On the subject of nepenthes, I haven't kept the madagascan species, but have several and have found they really thrived in my Parsons enclosure. Right under bright light and misters that sprayed heavy.

For the snails, I have a colony of helix aspersa, got my first eggs last year. I have used CB isopods in place of dusting before as well, but only occasionally. My cham has been picky about the snails lately and the isopods I think are a little too small for him now, he's been ignoring them.

Yep that's what I am giving a shot at.

So right now, it has the normal lights, and there is a Jungle Dawn spot blasting right at it. I also have the Viv on a 14 hour day, for right now.

Eventually I would like the drop the JD spot, for the Nep, but may leave it if need be. It's definitely the brightest spot on the floor.

However my normal cage LEDs, are nothing to scoff at. There is 4 cobs running right now at full blast, eventually those will dim and brighten through out the day, but right now they are just on.

While on, Each cob pumps out 9255 lumens, I also have a T5 setup up there. The LEDs are on for 12 hours, and the JD and T5 for 14. So for 12 hours there is about 44,000k lumens, across the 4x2x4 (it's actually, 44w, 22d, 42h, the LEDs are about 3 Ibches from the screen.

The Nep, is planted in pure sphag, I dug out a hole and planted it in a ball of sphag, and it wasn't in that pic but there is live sphag on top now.

It should help as I am using PH Neutral Sunshine mix#4. I think I'm going to add more sphag to all the soil, if I can figure an easish way, or just at the roots of all the plants.

And most Neps are Highlanders, there is only a few Lowland Species and most are rarely kept, as Highlanders are just easier. They deal with much larger temp swings than Low Landers. I would think the Highlanders would do great with Parsons, however Nepthenes Madgascarensis do concise habit with Cristifers.

Being all Malagasy plants, they want Acidic soil, the dirt there is Red as there is so much nitrate. I have also red to use coffee grounds, as a good Fert and acidity it adds. There is concerns for the CUC though.

I am also going to add a dripper, soon. And have that drip right above the Nep. The Nep is also right below where I planned to put a feeder cup, so water/food right above the Nep is where he will find it :).

For now though, it seems to be doing okay. There is that new growth coming, a few dead pitchers but they were like that when it arrived. I had also read to out a little water in the pitchers, so I did that and a blood worm pellet thing I feed my Sundews. It's only been about 2 weeks, and I haven't seen death, or drastic growth, so only time will see.

Last edited:
First "Terrarium" has arrived.

I made 2 of the shelves to fit this exactly, however now I'm think the second one might hold something slightly different.

The reason I chose this, is I prefer the venting style, I think 18x18x20 is a cooler size (gives me 18x18x18, with 2 inches of substrate, and like 2.5inches+drainage, once I apply background for a total 17x17x17)

I like it has more front vent than Exoterras, (The eco I have I modified for slightly more venting, by removing the back bar and added screen to each hole, better method I have planned)

And the front vs back vent and the Plexi plate that comes with it. The Plexi is now shaped, it has the plate lifted off the screen by 1/4 inch or so. So I can silicon that Plexi down, or just use the mister to hold it down, and I have higher humidity + I have screen for the sticks to use as a climbing surface still. This is a genius Idea by them. They seen people do this, with Exoterras, so they include one, and it's even better than the Exoterra mod way, and the back vent is smaller!

The back vent is also good sized, big enough for a decent sized PC fan, to use for better ventilation, and I know of a waterproof 80mm one I think will fit!

The OG plan, was to use 2 one for Ghosts and one for Sticks, and it still might be. However, my issue with that is I am now reading that may be too big for Ghosts. So I may either make it a Split Viv, or get 2 smaller ones.

Attachments

• IMG_20190705_123823.jpg
    IMG_20190705_123823.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_20190705_124240.jpg
    IMG_20190705_124240.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 188
Back
Top Bottom