Finger lick then bite

PistachioG

Last week while I was feeding my chameleon she licked one of my fingers, then lunged and bit it. She’s licked my hand before but never lunged at me or shown what looked like a bite attempt. She was not puffed up or open mouthed or hissing. She did start to shed a few days later so I wasn’t sure if I was mistaken as food(hasn’t happened yet and I hand feed her worms) or if she is feeling off and meant to lick and bite me out of irritation. Thoughts? I suppose there’s no need for me to handle her or hand feed her right? I can always transfer her to a carrier for the vet on a twig if needed.

Last week while I was feeding my chameleon she licked one of my fingers, then lunged and bit it. She’s licked my hand before but never lunged at me or shown what looked like a bite attempt. She was not puffed up or open mouthed or hissing. She did start to shed a few days later so I wasn’t sure if I was mistaken as food(hasn’t happened yet and I hand feed her worms) or if she is feeling off and meant to lick and bite me out of irritation. Thoughts? I suppose there’s no need for me to handle her or hand feed her right? I can always transfer her to a carrier for the vet on a twig if needed.
I'm sure you'll get a more detailed answer soon lol

Sounds like she just thought your finger was food. My girls will just about shoot their tongues out at anything that moves when it’s feeding time…and even when it’s not feeding time. I’ve also noticed that if for whatever reason one of my chams (usually my panther) can’t seem to grab his feeder with his tongue, he’ll swoop in close and just grab it with his mouth. It’s also how I noticed my girls ate blueberries when I used to give them to them…no tongue shot, just a mouth grab.

I think thats not a real reason for a vet. She probably but you because she tought your finger was food. Did you fill up “How to ask for help” form?
Yes I’ve had my husbandry reviewed recently. I wasn’t really asking for help just curious about normal vs common behavior.

Yes I’ve had my husbandry reviewed recently.
I think thats not a real reason for a vet. She probably but you because she tought your finger was food. Did you fill up “How to ask for help” form?
I wasn’t planning to take her to the vet for that, I was saying that there is no need for me to handle her except for taking her to the vet but even then I could use a twig instead of my hand. I was trying to explain that I am aware handling is not necessary but was still curious what what happened.

Sounds like she just thought your finger was food. My girls will just about shoot their tongues out at anything that moves when it’s feeding time…and even when it’s not feeding time. I’ve also noticed that if for whatever reason one of my chams (usually my panther) can’t seem to grab his feeder with his tongue, he’ll swoop in close and just grab it with his mouth. It’s also how I noticed my girls ate blueberries when I used to give them to them…no tongue shot, just a mouth grab.
Ah yes mine eats leaves by chomping directly on them and she does lunge toward food even when using her tongue. They are fascinating creatures.

There's a cabal of high-ranking pet chameleons that are plotting world domination.
Their secret induction ceremonies include drinking (tasting) human blood and fomenting a craving for "man-flesh!" :eek: I just recently learned of this myself; my thumb is still throbbing (though the near-fatal blood loss has been stemmed. (y) )

All the "cool" reptiles are doing it. You've been warned! 👿 :LOL:

If this is a one-off, I wouldn't get too concerned; it sounds like a mistake or miscommunication.

I've got a male panther about a year old, and he's going through some... hormonal stuff—more aggressive than usual, and looking for love in all the wrong places. IDK if females go through similar hormonal stuff when maturing, or how that would manifest.

Is she perhaps gravid? Has she a lay-bin?

1631109848265.png

At any rate, I think it's an opportunity to study her behavior(s) and see if you can solve the mystery and/or figure out what it is she's trying to communicate to you. 🤓

There's a cabal of high-ranking pet chameleons that are plotting world domination.
Their secret induction ceremonies include drinking (tasting) human blood and fomenting a craving for "man-flesh!" :eek: I just recently learned of this myself; my thumb is still throbbing (though the near-fatal blood loss has been stemmed. (y) )

All the "cool" reptiles are doing it. You've been warned! 👿 :LOL:

If this is a one-off, I wouldn't get too concerned; it sounds like a mistake or miscommunication.

I've got a male panther about a year old, and he's going through some... hormonal stuff—more aggressive than usual, and looking for love in all the wrong places. IDK if females go through similar hormonal stuff when maturing, or how that would manifest.

Is she perhaps gravid? Has she a lay-bin?

View attachment 309614

At any rate, I think it's an opportunity to study her behavior(s) and see if you can solve the mystery and/or figure out what it is she's trying to communicate to you. 🤓
😂

I do have a lay bin. Thank you for the info sheet. I’ll double check to see that what I have is appropriate. She does not appear to have eggs and is not plump but I feel like I’ve seen enough stories where people are surprised by eggs that it’s good to be prepared.

She is probably just plotting world domination like the rest. I’d better keep a closer eye. 🧐

Back
Top Bottom