Finally! Phew!

MissSkittles

Chameleon Enthusiast
Grumpy started digging on Tuesday of last week. Dug at the same hole, all day, every day and every evening on her basking branch dirty and still fat. The anxiety was killing me! Thinking she didn’t care for the 13x10x13 lay bin, I snuck in her old 13” cube lay bin and it worked! Obviously those 3 inches of width mattered a great deal to her. She laid 44 eggs and is now filthy and the thinnest I’ve seen her in months. Fed & misted her well and we can both breathe easier now.
Now for Stella who’s cycle is just a couple of weeks behind Grumpy’s. :oops::rolleyes:

So skinny now she almost can hide behind a stick.
DDF7EE29-9D1C-451E-ACDC-217246FFA0DE.jpeg

Grumpy started digging on Tuesday of last week. Dug at the same hole, all day, every day and every evening on her basking branch dirty and still fat. The anxiety was killing me! Thinking she didn’t care for the 13x10x13 lay bin, I snuck in her old 13” cube lay bin and it worked! Obviously those 3 inches of width mattered a great deal to her. She laid 44 eggs and is now filthy and the thinnest I’ve seen her in months. Fed & misted her well and we can both breathe easier now.
Now for Stella who’s cycle is just a couple of weeks behind Grumpy’s. :oops::rolleyes:

So skinny now she almost can hide behind a stick.
View attachment 259464
Just as a side thought, when mine last laid there were 59. I was planning 20 to 30. Digging deeper into research I read that if they are “fed too much “. They have too large of clutches and it is bad for them. I have cut my feeding, which was high. Have you heard of this. I still wonder where the balance lies?

Yes, I have been limiting their feedings and basking temps in attempts to reduce their clutch size. Obviously I didn’t reduce enough. However, I’m just glad she got all of her eggs laid with no problems and it is a relief that she didn’t have a massive clutch of 60+.
One of the forum’s most experienced members wrote this about keeping females and limiting clutch size. It is quite a helpful read. http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/2007/12/keeping-female-veiled.html

Thank You. Yes 60 was way huge. I realized what I had been doing was giving about 2/3 dubias 3/4in. But after a few months they were now 1 to 1 1/2 inches.o_O It happened slow so I didn't notice at first. This was my first time feeding dubias and everything about feeding is in "cricket scale". I have since come up with feeding about the volume of the head without the casque every other day.
I have raised and kept many reptiles and exotics, but these are my first chams.

Back
Top Bottom