Finally here

Get Would it be ok if I just put a fan in there because I don’t want to buy a whole new cage for her and the temps are 80-85 up top and 70-75 down low and I’m gonna get a humidity gauge but seems to be perfect right now. I have her up high too and my room is pretty cold sooo the temps stay perfect and the top is screen and my fan is on so the temps stay perfect plus there is airflow coming through the top

Get Would it be ok if I just put a fan in there because I don’t want to buy a whole new cage for her and the temps are 80-85 up top and 70-75 down low and I’m gonna get a humidity gauge but seems to be perfect right now. I have her up high too and my room is pretty cold sooo the temps stay perfect and the top is screen and my fan is on so the temps stay perfect plus there is airflow coming through the top
@Cameryn your baby need to be moved into an a tall condo . This is a fish tank she will not do well in this set up . Where are you located ? I have a few condos !.

Chameleon- female about two months old have had it for 3 days

Handling- I have never held it but as soon as she settles in I want to take her outside a lot

Feeding- I have only tried to feed her one didn’t eat it though (this morning) I am feeding my roaches carrots

Vitamins- I will give her calcium without D3 every feeding and calcium with D3 twice a month and the vitamins 2 a month alternating the 2

Watering- I hand mist the cage for about two minutes I have not seen her drinking I think she is just nervous around people and won’t drink or eat around us

Fecal description- haven’t seen any yet has not been tested

History- I have no idea

Cage info:

Cage type- glass with a screen roof and don’t know the dimensions

lighting- a heating bulb with a T5- H0 linear bulb coming on Wednesday

Temps- 80-85 up top near the bulbs and down low is 70-75 I don’t know the lowest temp during the night tho

Humidity- I don’t have a gauge for that but I have lots of plants and hand mist it every evening and morning right before the lights go off and after they turn on

Plants- I have lots of fake plants and 1 large live plant a Pothos

Location- up on top of a desk by a ceiling fan so it doesn’t get to hot in the cage

Location- Houston, Texas I have A.C.

I don’t think there is a problem but maybe the cage is not right but the temps are perfect and is up on a desk so she is up high

Thanks in advance for your help

Chameleon- female about two months old have had it for 3 days

Handling- I have never held it but as soon as she settles in I want to take her outside a lot

Feeding- I have only tried to feed her one didn’t eat it though (this morning) I am feeding my roaches carrots

Vitamins- I will give her calcium without D3 every feeding and calcium with D3 twice a month and the vitamins 2 a month alternating the 2

Watering- I hand mist the cage for about two minutes I have not seen her drinking I think she is just nervous around people and won’t drink or eat around us

Fecal description- haven’t seen any yet has not been tested

History- I have no idea

Cage info:

Cage type- glass with a screen roof and don’t know the dimensions

lighting- a heating bulb with a T5- H0 linear bulb coming on Wednesday

Temps- 80-85 up top near the bulbs and down low is 70-75 I don’t know the lowest temp during the night tho

Humidity- I don’t have a gauge for that but I have lots of plants and hand mist it every evening and morning right before the lights go off and after they turn on

Plants- I have lots of fake plants and 1 large live plant a Pothos

Location- up on top of a desk by a ceiling fan so it doesn’t get to hot in the cage

Location- Houston, Texas I have A.C.

I don’t think there is a problem but maybe the cage is not right but the temps are perfect and is up on a desk so she is up high

Thanks in advance for your help
Ok, so I’m in Weatherford, Texas, honey. And having AC means diddly. It’s not about the AC, its about her husbandry. And she can not stay in a glass box. In the wild they are open to nice ventilation. In captivity, they need the same. You do not have any vents at the bottom to allow air flow.

Think of it this way: rising heat causes a draft, or air current. This heat has to suck air from somewhere in order to move and flow and cause ventilation. In a glass box with only one screen, it can not creat enough air flow to keep her ventilated. And veileds are arboreal, meaning they live in the tops of trees, very high off the ground. She needs a tall enclosure to climb high and feel secure. Having only a food or foot and a half to climb upwards is not enough for a tree top dwelling animal. Now, if you turned the aquarium on its side so it stood tall, you might have a long enough chance to keep her happy until you get a better enclosure set up! But she needs vents at the bare bottom minimum of her door being screen and her enclosure top being screen. But the more screen she has, the better chance she has or living happy!

As it stands, not enough ventilation means no air flow. No air flow means stagnate air. Stagnate air means respiratory infections and illnesses.

I know you worked hard on her cage as it sits now, but its not safe for her. I’m so sorry that you cant leave her as she is now, because she sounds pretty shell shocked right now, but to keep her alive, she must have ventilation. And that means a enclosure with screens.

I hope you and her have a very long and happy relationship together! Chameleons are a joy to have and so fun and fascinating to watch! But some things must be changed so this can be achieved :D

Ok I’ll work on it thank you that explained it right now I have a 16”x16”x36” screen cage that I thought was to small would that work till I got a new one

Ok I’ll work on it thank you that explained it right now I have a 16”x16”x36” screen cage that I thought was to small would that work till I got a new one
It’s better then what you have her in . She will need to be upgraded as soon as you can make it happen .

I believe 18”x18”x36 was the smallest recommended size, but she’ll be fine for a couple weeks in your screen cage. She’s small enough right now that it wont be too much of a bother? I believe at least?... Don’t quote me on that x.x

I’ve noticed a lot of keepers prefer 24”x24”x48” enclosures. So any chance you get to upgrade, she’ll definitely appreciate more wiggle room in a bigger cage :D

Last edited:

I put her in the small cage for now and am ordering the big cage thanks y’all

Also another problem is my chameleon isn’t eating is it normal for her to not eat the first week or is she soo stressed that she won’t eat

Im kinda worried but I can tell she has been drinking when no one is around cause she looks healthy and her eyes look fine

I think it’s pretty common for them not to eat at first because they are so stressed with the new environment

Back
Top Bottom