Finally completed the enclosure for my juvenile Veiled Chameleon!

Mrsleesux

Hi all,

Just joined the forum recently and thanks for all the in-depth & detailed information and knowledge shared by the members! Super useful and learnt lot about the setting of enclosure.

Here's my enclosure. I am using a bird cage instead of a terrarium and my area is very humid so not too worried about the ventilation of the cage and not able to hold the humidity in.

Advantages of using a bird cage like this are it comes with drainage tray so I dont need to setup a separate tray for drainage and another big advantge is I can hang the potted plants (using hanging pots) as well as the driftwood (wood branches) and moss ladder on any level of the cage. Just need to secure them using cable ties (Read about the great idea of using cable ties here too).

I also managed to secure the cork bark background to the cage and complete it with UVA + UVB & mister.

I used to put potted plants on the bottom but after reading several members' advice, I love the idea of having a clean empty floor. I just put in a couple of fake turf (these have drainage holes) that cost only a few bucks to make it more realistic and visually appealing.

Here's my enclosure pics! Feel free to comment and maybe can spark off some ideas that can make it even better!
IMG_4003.jpg
IMG_4007.jpg
IMG_3994.jpg
6057A649-598D-4382-BABF-D544A05ED1C0.jpg

Hi there. All of the moss or grass needs to be removed.

Can you take a picture of your lights on top so I can see what you are utilizing?

Make sure you are not fogging during the day when temps are high. We utilize foggers at night only when temps are below 67. Otherwise foggers and heat create an environment for them to develop a Respiratory infection.

is thier uvb also i would get rid of the fake grass and keep it bare it is a easy breeding ground for bacteria but other wise great looking enclosure
Thanks Bruce for your comment!

Yup will monitor the fake turf. As it has drainage and it’s washable so I intend to wash it every 2 weeks to mitigate the issue of bacteria

Can you take a picture of your lights on top so I can see what you are utilizing?

Make sure you are not fogging during the day when temps are high. We utilize foggers at night only when temps are below 67. Otherwise foggers and heat create an environment for them to develop a Respiratory infection.

Yea thanks for your comment too!

Like I mentioned, will be monitoring the fake turf for now. It’s washable and there’s drainage so will see how it goes.

As for fogger, I only on for short period of time. As it’s a bird cage, it’s much more ventilated than a terrarium… so the fog goes right out of the cage… so humidity don’t actually stay in the cage… the air is always moving naturally…

But yea will take note of the fogging when temp is high to avoid respiratory issues :)

Like I mentioned, will be monitoring the fake turf for now. It’s washable and there’s drainage so will see how it goes.

As for fogger, I only on for short period of time. As it’s a bird cage, it’s much more ventilated than a terrarium… so the fog goes right out of the cage… so humidity don’t actually stay in the cage… the air is always moving naturally…

But yea will take note of the fogging when temp is high to avoid respiratory issues :)
also what uvb do you have

Hi,
Very cool out of the box thinking enclosure. I’m not gonna say anything about the moss, because others already did and your stand within it. However, regarding the fogging during the day. I do understand your thinking, still I would seriously follow above advice. I got most of chams free range and never fog during the day. It’s best to figure out if he has a preferred sleeping spot and would position there the fogging tube. If you check their natural habitat, they get fog / clouds at night during the cooler periods, that’s principal what we’re trying to simulate. During the day it’s always warm, dry and low humid.

So your issue with the fake turf is honestly Veileds are like toddlers and everything goes in the mouth. The turf would be a major impaction risk. Bare bottom is recommended because it is easier to wipe clean and spot clean.

Per the fogger. I understand how you are thinking about this but it still does not reduce the risk of a RI developing. This is simply because they are still breathing in hot wet air which is where the issues come from. What are your ambient humidity levels without running it during the day?

The metal bowl may turn into an issue. It is going to have a reflective surface. Chams tend to get overly stimulated by reflections causing unneeded stress to their system.

I do want to touch on UVB again. I am not seeing a linear UVB fixture... This is needed to prevent MBD.

Hi all,

Just joined the forum recently and thanks for all the in-depth & detailed information and knowledge shared by the members! Super useful and learnt lot about the setting of enclosure.

Here's my enclosure. I am using a bird cage instead of a terrarium and my area is very humid so not too worried about the ventilation of the cage and not able to hold the humidity in.

Advantages of using a bird cage like this are it comes with drainage tray so I dont need to setup a separate tray for drainage and another big advantge is I can hang the potted plants (using hanging pots) as well as the driftwood (wood branches) and moss ladder on any level of the cage. Just need to secure them using cable ties (Read about the great idea of using cable ties here too).

I also managed to secure the cork bark background to the cage and complete it with UVA + UVB & mister.

I used to put potted plants on the bottom but after reading several members' advice, I love the idea of having a clean empty floor. I just put in a couple of fake turf (these have drainage holes) that cost only a few bucks to make it more realistic and visually appealing.

Here's my enclosure pics! Feel free to comment and maybe can spark off some ideas that can make it even better!View attachment 324233View attachment 324234View attachment 324235View attachment 324236
Looks nice but you do realize that cage will rust out pretty fast, right, is it just temporary?

Not bad looking. To bad they don't make bird cages out of aluminum because stainless steel is super expensive. Everyone already touched on all the problem areas. It's a learning experience just make your cham happy :)

Hi,
Very cool out of the box thinking enclosure. I’m not gonna say anything about the moss, because others already did and your stand within it. However, regarding the fogging during the day. I do understand your thinking, still I would seriously follow above advice. I got most of chams free range and never fog during the day. It’s best to figure out if he has a preferred sleeping spot and would position there the fogging tube. If you check their natural habitat, they get fog / clouds at night during the cooler periods, that’s principal what we’re trying to simulate. During the day it’s always warm, dry and low humid.
Nice idea! Sound really cool! Will try to position the fogger at where it sleeps.

Looks nice but you do realize that cage will rust out pretty fast, right, is it just temporary?
This is not the normal bird cages u seen.

If it rust badly of course I will probably change a new one.

Anyways I wish I can get a terrarium but in in this part of the world, terrariums are hard to get and very expensive… that also explains why I’m using a bird cage.

Envy U guys for having all the supplies and communities!

So your issue with the fake turf is honestly Veileds are like toddlers and everything goes in the mouth. The turf would be a major impaction risk. Bare bottom is recommended because it is easier to wipe clean and spot clean.

Per the fogger. I understand how you are thinking about this but it still does not reduce the risk of a RI developing. This is simply because they are still breathing in hot wet air which is where the issues come from. What are your ambient humidity levels without running it during the day?

The metal bowl may turn into an issue. It is going to have a reflective surface. Chams tend to get overly stimulated by reflections causing unneeded stress to their system.

I do want to touch on UVB again. I am not seeing a linear UVB fixture... This is needed to prevent MBD.
Sure noted on the clean floor.

I wanted to have the next best solution to a clean floor that’s why chose this artifical turf. In any case if there’s any possibility of impaction will definitely remove. I dont allow the crickets or worms to go free ( they will be crawling all over since it’s a bird cage) so they will only be in the feeding bowl so I think there’s really low possibility of the Cham eating any of the fake turf. Besides the fake turf Doesn’t come off easily. U have to pinch really damn hard to be able to remove some of it….

My humidity here is 70-80 whole day 365 days a year.

Yea the metal bowl is temporary. Getting one that is not reflective.

As for the UVB, I’m getting a tube as well but haven’t arrive. Using a UVA + UVB basking bulb for now.

Again, supplies are not easy to get in this part of the world. Just gotta think creatively out of the box.

Cheers!

Sure noted on the clean floor.

I wanted to have the next best solution to a clean floor that’s why chose this artifical turf. In any case if there’s any possibility of impaction will definitely remove. I dont allow the crickets or worms to go free ( they will be crawling all over since it’s a bird cage) so they will only be in the feeding bowl so I think there’s really low possibility of the Cham eating any of the fake turf. Besides the fake turf Doesn’t come off easily. U have to pinch really damn hard to be able to remove some of it….

My humidity here is 70-80 whole day 365 days a year.

Yea the metal bowl is temporary. Getting one that is not reflective.

As for the UVB, I’m getting a tube as well but haven’t arrive. Using a UVA + UVB basking bulb for now.

Again, supplies are not easy to get in this part of the world. Just gotta think creatively out of the box.

Cheers!
Absolutely understand about the turf... Honestly besides the risk of them trying to eat it the other aspect is cleanliness. You really do not want fecal and urate getting down in it and just sitting with water. It is going to get nasty. lol As chams mature they start patroling their area. This includes the bottom as well. So then he would be walking through and then carrying that back throughout the cage on his feet. Totally up to you but I want you to have all feedback on why it is not recommended.

WOW ok your daytime humidity is intense for a Veiled. So no fogging at all. Their recommended range of daytime humidity is only 40-50%. So I would not add anything additional. Mist morning and evening when temps are cooler so your not increasing the humidity level even more during the day.

Can you tell me what UVB and fixture you ordered? I then can tell you the distance to branches you will need to get the right UVI level.
If your talking about the tiny bright bulb being a 2 in 1 that looks more like an LED bulb. So just be aware that if the bulb did not say UVB then it is not. And 2 in 1 bulbs that are basking and UVB can be extremely dangerous for chams due to the high temps and high UVI output they produce.

Overall I think your cage is great. I like the use of using different things like this and customizing them.

Absolutely understand about the turf... Honestly besides the risk of them trying to eat it the other aspect is cleanliness. You really do not want fecal and urate getting down in it and just sitting with water. It is going to get nasty. lol As chams mature they start patroling their area. This includes the bottom as well. So then he would be walking through and then carrying that back throughout the cage on his feet. Totally up to you but I want you to have all feedback on why it is not recommended.

WOW ok your daytime humidity is intense for a Veiled. So no fogging at all. Their recommended range of daytime humidity is only 40-50%. So I would not add anything additional. Mist morning and evening when temps are cooler so your not increasing the humidity level even more during the day.

Can you tell me what UVB and fixture you ordered? I then can tell you the distance to branches you will need to get the right UVI level.
If your talking about the tiny bright bulb being a 2 in 1 that looks more like an LED bulb. So just be aware that if the bulb did not say UVB then it is not. And 2 in 1 bulbs that are basking and UVB can be extremely dangerous for chams due to the high temps and high UVI output they produce.

Overall I think your cage is great. I like the use of using different things like this and customizing them.
Thanks man! Yup it waking around with fecal and urine is definitely a no no…

Yes I live in South Asia so yes it’s basically the Tropicals and I believe we have similar weather to Yemen and Saudi Arabia but maybe here is more humid. Yea u r right that no fogging at all.

In fact I only on the fog a few times to make the whole enclosure much more attractive visually (looks dreamy when taking photos! and showing a couple of friends) and each time not more than 15 mins :)

Yes the bulb I ordered is UVA + UVB from a reputable supplier. After adding the bulb, it has definitely helped its appetite and it has become more active but due to my warm weather here, it is about 80-90 degrees Fahrenheit 365 days so it actually don’t need to bask for a long time.

I’m putting the cage at my balcony which has sunlight but not direct sunlight but just in case it doesn’t get enough UVB, I ordered an Exo Terra 5W tube for it to get more UVB just in case.

Are there any incidents or cases of too much UVA or UVB?

Last edited:
Thanks man! Yup it waking around with fecal and urine is definitely a no no…

Yes I live in South Asia so yes it’s basically the Tropicals and I believe we have similar weather to Yemen and Saudi Arabia but maybe here is more humid. Yea u r right that no fogging at all.

In fact I only on the fog a few times to make the whole enclosure much more attractive visually (looks dreamy when taking photos! and showing a couple of friends) and each time not more than 15 mins :)

Yes the bulb I ordered is UVA + UVB from a reputable supplier. After adding the bulb, it has definitely helped its appetite and it has become more active but due to my warm weather here, it is about 80-90 degrees Fahrenheit 365 days so it actually don’t need to bask for a long time.

I’m putting the cage at my balcony which has sunlight but not direct sunlight but just in case it doesn’t get enough UVB, I ordered an Exo Terra 5W tube for it to get more UVB just in case.

Are there any incidents or cases of too much UVA or UVB?
So you will get UVB in indirect sun even still in shade. I would not put anything additional on the cage if he is going to be outside. The concern honestly is going to be the glass panel outside. It is going to amplify heat especially in sun.

I am not familiar with the combo you are using. But hopefully he is not getting over exposure levels with it. The only way to know for sure would be to order a solarmeter 6.5. Their optimal UVI level is a 3. Overexposure can cause many issues. This is why we are cautious with what lighting we put on them and specific outside environments to ensure not only that they are not being over exposed but they need lots of plants to hide in to cool down outside.

He may have issues with the hotter weather. They typically like a cooler ambient level in the 70's. 90 is going to push the limits and you may want to consider providing a misting system that automatically goes off throughout the day to keep him cooler and provide consistent opportunities to drink.

So you will get UVB in indirect sun even still in shade. I would not put anything additional on the cage if he is going to be outside. The concern honestly is going to be the glass panel outside. It is going to amplify heat especially in sun.

I am not familiar with the combo you are using. But hopefully he is not getting over exposure levels with it. The only way to know for sure would be to order a solarmeter 6.5. Their optimal UVI level is a 3. Overexposure can cause many issues. This is why we are cautious with what lighting we put on them and specific outside environments to ensure not only that they are not being over exposed but they need lots of plants to hide in to cool down outside.

He may have issues with the hotter weather. They typically like a cooler ambient level in the 70's. 90 is going to push the limits and you may want to consider providing a misting system that automatically goes off throughout the day to keep him cooler and provide consistent opportunities to drink.
Shall get a solar meter to see how’s the UVI levels are.

Will continue to monitor…it’s getting used to the enclosure and has been eating around 3-5 crickets + a couple of black soldier fly larvae a day :)

Back
Top Bottom