filling out the help form. New owner.

PurpleSweater72

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. Howlong has it been in your care? Veiled Male 2 days in my care and he’s 4 months old
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Just the first day at the store. Letting him get used to his space at the moment.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? So far 5 crickets that have been fed with calcium and dusted in calcium without d3 have not gutloaded yet. Also a few wax worms. I plan on doing a multivitamin feeding every other week.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Flukers reptile vitamin planning on using once every other week and flukers calcium without d3 daily
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I have a reptirain going off for 30 seconds every 3 hours during the day. Also hand mist recommendations would rule.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Nice solid dark brown poops and white Urates. Has not been tested as of yet looking for vet around Seattle
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. Bought from Hewitt Reptile Emporium here in Washington. Seemed like a knowledgeable place that took care of their animals.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Screen reptibreez medium 3 ft plan on getting an extra large as he gets bigger. Researching a good brand currently
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Using a fluker lamp with a 60w house bulb for heat. And one of those crappy zoomed uvb bulbs for now have an Arcadia t5 on order
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Stays around 85 in basking spot floor of cage hits around 65. Lowest overnight temp so far is 65 but it’s still fall.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? 80%humidity currently have two live plants and a couple fake vines. Two homogrifiers one at top and bottom
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what Kind? I have a live ribbon plant and the rest are fake for now.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? It is in my guest bedroom/computer room near a window thinking about moving it away from window. No traffic in there at all really. Pretty mellow spot.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located located right outside Seattle Washington

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    360.6 KB · Views: 120
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. Howlong has it been in your care? Veiled Male 2 days in my care and he’s 4 months old
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Just the first day at the store. Letting him get used to his space at the moment.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? So far 5 crickets that have been fed with calcium and dusted in calcium without d3 have not gutloaded yet. Also a few wax worms. I plan on doing a multivitamin feeding every other week.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Flukers reptile vitamin planning on using once every other week and flukers calcium without d3 daily
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I have a reptirain going off for 30 seconds every 3 hours during the day. Also hand mist recommendations would rule.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Nice solid dark brown poops and white Urates. Has not been tested as of yet looking for vet around Seattle
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. Bought from Hewitt Reptile Emporium here in Washington. Seemed like a knowledgeable place that took care of their animals.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Screen reptibreez medium 3 ft plan on getting an extra large as he gets bigger. Researching a good brand currently
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Using a fluker lamp with a 60w house bulb for heat. And one of those crappy zoomed uvb bulbs for now have an Arcadia t5 on order
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Stays around 85 in basking spot floor of cage hits around 65. Lowest overnight temp so far is 65 but it’s still fall.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? 80%humidity currently have two live plants and a couple fake vines. Two homogrifiers one at top and bottom
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what Kind? I have a live ribbon plant and the rest are fake for now.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? It is in my guest bedroom/computer room near a window thinking about moving it away from window. No traffic in there at all really. Pretty mellow spot.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located located right outside Seattle Washington
Have you read the veiled care sheet on here yet? Your feeders ABSOLUTELY MUST be gutloaded! Phosphorus free calcium without D3 should be given at every feeding, phosphorus free calcium with D3 and a multivitamin both twice montly. Up the misting to 1 minute instead of 30 seconds. Humidity is WAY too high! Are live ribbon plants safe (I don't know)- FL Chams has a cham-safe plant list on their website. Veileds love to eat their plants. I suggest moving it away from the window if there's no window covering. What's your cham's problem?

Add some more branches and vines, mostly horizontal, throughout your cage and take the tupperware container collecting water out of the cage, make an external drainage system.

Have you read the veiled care sheet on here yet? Your feeders ABSOLUTELY MUST be gutloaded! Phosphorus free calcium without D3 should be given at every feeding, phosphorus free calcium with D3 and a multivitamin both twice montly. Up the misting to 1 minute instead of 30 seconds. Humidity is WAY too high! Are live ribbon plants safe (I don't know)- FL Chams has a cham-safe plant list on their website. Veileds love to eat their plants. I suggest moving it away from the window if there's no window covering. What's your cham's problem?
No specific problem just looking for recommendations.

Your humidity is 10% above the reccomended level, in relation to your misting sessions, when was this measurement taken? If it followed a misting session I would expect your levels to be a bit high temporarily.

Finding mixed reviews(imagine that!) on the ribbon plant, more negative than positive.

I’d definitely keep the viv by the window, I’m sure your cham would appreciate the view.

@ERKleRose why would you want to move the viv away from the window? Not trying to call you out, genuinely curious...

Your humidity is 10% above the reccomended level, in relation to your misting sessions, when was this measurement taken? If it followed a misting session I would expect your levels to be a bit high temporarily.

Finding mixed reviews(imagine that!) on the ribbon plant, more negative than positive.

I’d definitely keep the viv by the window, I’m sure your cham would appreciate the view.

@ERKleRose why would you want to move the viv away from the window? Not trying to call you out, genuinely curious...
Without shade, it could overheat/mess up the cage temps in the enclosure is what I’m told. Everybody always says don’t place your cham cage by the window! I have heat and light blocking blackout shades, so I put one of my cages near it, only place there was room!

Without shade, it could overheat/mess up the cage temps in the enclosure is what I’m told. Everybody always says don’t place your cham cage by the window! I have heat and light blocking blackout shades, so I put one of my cages near it, only place there was room!
Not so sure on everyone saying it all the time, never heard that before. One of my vivs is set up directly in front of one of my western facing windows and I’ve never noticed a large sudden jump in its temperature, steady all year round. This could be because I have new top of the line windows but I can definitely see how a house with old windows could cause a slight rise in the vivs temps. This is why we stress the importance of having a wide temperature gradient in the viv, so the Cham can self regulate its body temperature. I also think that if the viv was set up by a window the keeper should be factoring that in to the distance from the viv the basking bulb is placed at.

I don’t think either of us is wrong or right on this, just a difference of two valid opinions.

I know you know most of this if not all. Just covering it for others...

Only thing I worry about about the window is that it’s about to be winter here in Seattle. I worry that since I don’t have good heating in that room temps will drop when winter comes.

Back
Top Bottom