Ficus plants

triumph

While my ficus plants looked great for the first say two months now they are dropping most of their leaves. They are under a 50 watt bulb and a uvb100. They are under a mistking system 3 times a day. I also water the plants and use a liquid fertilizer. I have a drainage system so they are not over watered. Now I know that ficus will drop its leaves, but having them now for 4 months they are going bare. What are you guys using for light for your ficus. I keep hereing how well they are growing what am I doing wrong. I am about ready to ditch they ficus.

idk bout your combo,
but with a light your reptiles set up on each enclosure
my ficus are thriving.
i have seen a grow light set up at my home depot
right where the fluorescent fixtures are.
for about $50.

how often are you using the liquid fertilize? a little goes along way. try 1/2 strength of what the directions say on the liquid. with the 3 sessions of the misting system, you are probably getting nearly enough water. try reducing the manual watering for a few weeks and see if you notice any new growth. try to almost let it dry out completely before watering it again. they'll drop their leaves from an abrupt change in environment also, but it doesn't sound like that, it sounds like to much water and or to much fertilizer.

I haven't given my fertilizer for over two years. You may be over fertilizing.
or, it could be there isn't enough light. Have you considered adding a light specifically for the plant? something 6500k, doesn't even have to be on all day.
or maybe it is over-watered (the soil shouldn't be wet all the time)

finally, ficus don't like change. So if its being moved (doesn't sound like it is) it might be unhappy from that.

I am maxed out with plugs. Really dont want any more fixtures. Thought what I have would work. I will try cutting out the fert.

Back
Top Bottom