Ficus pic. Any toxins to worry about?

BIGGUN

Avid Member
Is this type of Ficus safe?

DSCF0181_original.jpg

I originally thought all ficus were safe but I guess that's not true.

Thanks,
Kevin

Thats not a ficus.

Schefflera aboricola "Trinette" or Umbrella Plant

and it is listed on an animal safe plant list.

Right . it's not a ficus. it's a schefflera. Scheflerra seem harder to take care of though than ficus.

As confirmed above that is a Schefflera aboricola. I love using these for chams better than Ficus for bush cover. Trick to keeping them alive is ensuring the soil does not get too wet (the leaves turn brown and fall off if the soil gets too wet). They love miated leaves and love UVA light. SO they are perfect for a cham cage except the soil issue. My solution is... buy some cheap hand sized bath towels. Stuff one arounf the base of the blant covering as much soil as possible. This absorbs the water and keeps the soild pretty dry. Change that towel every 2nd or 3rd day (depends on how bushy the plant is and how long you mist for.

You can always count on walmart. :rolleyes:

It was listed as a ficus. Well at least I lucked out int he right direction on safety.

Thanks for the tips.
Kevin

Make sure that you clean the planet with some light soapy water and then hose it off very well. Also make sure to put it in a new pot with soil that doesnt have any fertilizers or chemicals in it.

Make sure that you clean the planet with some light soapy water and then hose it off very well.

If only the solution were this easy!

Sorry Dan ... your typo becomes my political/environmental lament of the day.
:rolleyes:

-Brad

One good solution to keeping the soil dry is to have two plants that you switch out every third week or so. Gives each plant time to let the soil dry and keep the roots from drowning.:)

Back
Top Bottom