Fez's new big boy cage

e30nate

i picked up a huge cage for fez yesterday since hes starting to grow too big for his current one. the new one is 30x30x50 and only cost me $25 on craigslist. all i need to do is make some legs or a stand for it and a drainage system.

IMG00391-20110401-1128.jpg

i will definitely get some pics when its all set up. im gonna have to get some more plants and vines to fill it up. probably get them this weekend.

I was gonna take the top off and put screen for the lights to go through. I also gotta seal up the bottom so it doesn't leak through the cracks

i finally got a stand built and the cage all set up. i used some bathub sealer to seal up the bottom, and put four pvc bushings in it for the drain. i screwed some 1x2's to the bottom to set another board on for the floor. i then drilled a bunch of 3/8 in holes in that for water to drain through down to the bottom and out the drain holes. everything is clear coated to prevent water damage and i let it sit for a few days to let all the fumes die down from the stain. i also took the wood top off and put a screen top so i could put the lights up top. in all i only have about $60 into it, which to me seams like a good deal :D

DSCN2855.jpg

DSCN2856.jpg

DSCN2857.jpg

DSCN2862.jpg

DSCN2863.jpg

i really need to get more foliage in there for him. for now he has a few little hiding spots.

heres a pic to compare his old cage to his new one

oldandnew.jpg

Nice cage. Put a 1x2 across the screen top and run a screw eye into it from inside the cage and put a hanging pothos in there. It will grow like crazy over time and make really good climbing branches. JMO

Nice cage. Put a 1x2 across the screen top and run a screw eye into it from inside the cage and put a hanging pothos in there. It will grow like crazy over time and make really good climbing branches. JMO

thats exactly what i was gonna do but with a 1" dowel

Sweet deal on the cage! If I could make one suggestion...it looks like you are using those small glass rocks to cover up the soil. I would think if a feeder escaped down there and your cham shot at it his tongue, it could be strong and sticky enough to grab one of those rocks. I would get much bigger ones to cover up the soil. You wouldn't want your chameleon swallowing one of those accidentally!

yeah i never thought of that because i only cup feed him, but i guess if one gets out and he sees it he would go after it. thanks for the tip

i picked up another ficus and a hanging pothos today, as well as some more fake vines, some bigger rocks for the plants, and a dowel to hang the pothos from. he should be a happy cham now :)

DSCN3088.jpg

Back
Top Bottom