Few questions for a new cage

Sirny

Ok, so just about to finish up building the new cage...its 6 foot tall, 5 foot long and 2 foot deep...can someone point me in the right direction of proper lighting to keep this thing warm, and what not....and also where i can get some cheap vines (local pet store prices are crazy) gonna need alot of them lol.....and as of right now i have 2 hibiscus trees going in and an umbrella plant hanging from the top, any suggestions on some other fillers to make his new home nice =)

Ok, so just about to finish up building the new cage...its 6 foot tall, 5 foot long and 2 foot deep...can someone point me in the right direction of proper lighting to keep this thing warm, and what not....and also where i can get some cheap vines (local pet store prices are crazy) gonna need alot of them lol.....and as of right now i have 2 hibiscus trees going in and an umbrella plant hanging from the top, any suggestions on some other fillers to make his new home nice =)

My opinions

Lighting - you cannot go any bigger than 48'' (4 feet long). assuming you are providing aluminum window screen at least for the top, a ZooMed ReptiSUN 5.0 UVB will be needed. you can buy a48'' T8 dual fluorescent light fixture from a hardware store and accompani the ReptiSUN with a 6500K Daylight fluorescent light.

you will probably need to different basking lights at either end to keep the whole enclosure warm. one end have your basking light the maximum temp the species requires for basking, then have the other bask spot slightly less hot.
* for an enclosure 5 feet long, two 8.5'' heat domes will be fine.

Branches & Vines - many art supply shops (Michael's) has fake vines you can purchase, i would be carefull when using fake vines and plants from art stores though due to inks, dyes and non-rust proof wires.
grape vine can be used and has a beautiful look to it, as well you can collect branches and sticks from outside and clean them properly if needed.
You can also purchase bulk Bio-Vines in which you can get a whole spool of it for a good price.

my personally opinion on hibiscus is they are a headache to keep alive for the average plant keeper indoors. they require extensive amounts of daylight and heat, and adequate watering. they are overall great for outdoors but crap for cages. an awesome and completely safe plant though.

ficus benjimina and schefflera aboricola trees are IMHO the best for cage use along with hanging pothos baskets. remember to replant them in organic potting soil, or fertillized soil, your preference. just BE SURE to have a good 2-3" of riverbed rocks covering the soil.

ty appreciate the input, actually have never had a problem with the hibiscus, has been in his current cage for about a year now, grows like crazy and blooms all year round...deffinately gonna look into grape vine.

and 1 more question, i used pine for the frame of the cage, just read on here that might not be good....have not attached the screen to it yet, just the frame so far, is it necessary for me to restart with a different kind of wood?

you're more than welcome for my opinion. and kudos on the long-term success of keeping the hibiscus. what have you done perfect? question is.. how much am i failing? lol.

as far as the pine goes, i can comfortably say that i would use anything from scraps to brand new wood to build a cage. as long as you properly stain and seal your wood, you don't have to worry about any affects the wood can have on an animal.

my first cage was 4x2x3 and was made from scrap 2x4's of God only knows what kind of wood. it was aged and dry, so i built a cage out of it, no problems. my two 2x2x4 cages that i currently use, were made out of plain strapped spruce. 1x2x8 @ .99 cents each. most of the wood is warped from being strapped and outside, but you can also find 12 lots in very nice condition.

What are you putting in that monster cage? Post pics when you have it completed. Sounds like a nice build.

just my panther....he looooves to move around all day so i figured id give him some room to play

Very cool. I am sure with that much room he will thrive. What are you doing for drip system and drainage? Just curious. As mentioned already, hanging pothos will grow like crazy and provide a ton of horizontal and vertical pathways. That would make a nice filler in an eclosure that size. If you are looking for ways to fill it in with walkways, I have used crape myrtle braches that I bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes at 400F just to take care of possible mites, spiders etc. They work really well if you have access to any. You will want to wash off the loose bark after baking them and break off any tiny twigs so he does not try to eat them. They have a natural twisting, winding growth that looks good in a cham cage.

well fro drip system, got a few drippers that will be sitting on top and dripping down the plants, and spraying alot to keep it moist, would get a spray system but he enjoys his warm showers, so i enjoy manually doing it, as for drainage, well kind of confusing to explain but ill try...got a plastic tub that filles the bottom of the cage and is about a foot tall thats filled with dirt(trees and other plants are going to be directly palnted in it (of course dirts coverered with bigger rocks so he doesnt ingest any. the bottom of the tub is cut out and screened over so the water can drain out and not flood or anything, from there the water goes thru my drainage system of pipes and such that i use on my cage now and goes into a tub outside the cage thats empties daily....i know realllly confusing but has been tested and works

Back
Top Bottom