Fertile egg shriveled

So I’ve had a fertile veiled chameleon egg since 2/21/20 and I am positive it is fertile considering how long it’s Ben since it was laid and I have seen multiple veins throughout the egg but today I checked on it and it was a little bit shriveled and was wondering if anyone might know why?!?!All advice and criticism needed.

A

Y

Here it is and I’m 11 so that might help with imagining size otherwise about the size of a grape

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 108
They do that before they hatch. It is close. keep it where you had it. It may take a few days for the little guys to get out.
It is righ at 6 months. that is the time. If it has been plump white until know it is trying to hatch.

Have you been holding it and moving it? THey really are not supposed to be disturbed....

It has been very plump and it was all white with a few veins till a week and a half ago.

So it was fertile.
I just hatched my first clutch, so I am not an expert, but I can tell you my mistakes.
First in one bin I over wet the bin and I had eggs burst.
On that fear I kept checking my others and did not add moisture. Reverse effect. I had eggs that looked like the wanted to hatch, but I believe I dried them out and the shell was too tough for them to get out. Each one had a dead fully developed baby.

It is easy and difficult at the same time. If it is shriveled for a week it probably won't survive :( At least that is how it was with mine.

Ruthless I do agree but I am positive it is fertile even if the baby died/dies
Ok so how did you acquire a fertile egg? Did you breed the chameleons your self? Did you get it from a friend? More information about how you can be certain it’s fertile besides what you have said that you have seen multiple veins. And if you did breed your chameleons or whatever may be the answer to your certainty. Nature is nature and not all eggs are guaranteed to hatch or go full term. Like @CasqueAbove said had a issue with too much moisture.

More info might help. You said you were 11 so that is great that you are learning at an early age.
I am guessing you got the egg mail order ? maybe a clutch of 3 ? I have seen them offered this way.

Do you own other Chams or reptiles ?
If you want to keep Chams at age 11 you will need parent support. I am kind of guessing you have this.

As mentioned not all eggs will hatch even if fertile. Infertile or dead eggs mold. So it likely was a fertile egg. However even though everything you read makes it sound simple, there is a lot that can go wrong. This is not to discourage, but rather build hope. It is a learning curve, but very doable. I am on the same ride. I have kept many animals over the years, but this is my first venture into breeding.

So I have 5 other chameleons and have had leopard and crested geckos bearded dragons corn snakes boas and ball pythons. I got my first Chameleon about a year and a half ago and about every two months after that I got another. This was from what I thought too be a infertile clutch from my female Diane and all the other eggs molded after about 2 weeks but that was still fine. My parents are very supportive and soon I will fill out a info sheet but I am going to build new cages based off of dragon strand I have used all my money a
in doing this and earned a lot Of money and also bought a mist king pack with nozzles and wedges. Advice provide info if needed. Best regards sam

The egg I showed you was from a infertile clutch and after two weeks all the other ones molded over except for that one. My guess is my female may have retained sperm from a previously unsuccessful fertile clutch

And i fully understand how hard and complicated the process is and I have learned not too be disappointed and be patient with This kind of thing. I appreciate you responding too me and offering constructive critism and not being rude.

And i fully understand how hard and complicated the process is and I have learned not too be disappointed and be patient with This kind of thing. I appreciate you responding too me and offering constructive critism and not being rude.

Well looks like you are on the right path. My son is 9 and has a solid collection. Keep going you show great poise and knowledge. It is an ever learning process, but that is what makes it fun.

Back
Top Bottom