Female veiled. obese? eggs? normal?

NashansCamos

Chameleon Enthusiast
my female veiled has been looking kinda fat the past few weeks. she does eat a lot and has already laid one clutch of infertile eggs.(unsure when) is this normal or is she obese or ready for more eggs? (i am only 12 so the size of my hand may not be to scale compared to adult hand)

Attachments

• IMG_0279.JPG
    IMG_0279.JPG
    435.5 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_0280.JPG
    IMG_0280.JPG
    355.4 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0288.JPG
    IMG_0288.JPG
    199.6 KB · Views: 140
She looks gravid to me, look at the first pick, plus the she Is showing gravid colors just without the black. Has she always shown those colors?
she developed yellows some time ago, but was straight green when first bought. she sometimes does goes very dark with the yellow and blue which does mean gravid

She looks receptive to me. Get that laying bin ready!!!! I actually feed my female 5 roaches every 3 days, really trying to cut back on egg development as much as possible
she moved cages about two weeks ago which didnt stress her but this one dosent have substrate appropiate for laying eggs. (her original cage had peat and was deep enough while this one has about 3 inches of peat and bark)

going forward how do you think i should space out feeding times?

I have no experience with already fat chams so I’m not sure on what would be best to do right now but as I said I feed about 6-7 crickets every other day. Or a Joxie said less to reduce the amount of eggs they produce.

For sure about to lay. Have you a lay bin ready?
As for feedings, IMO she should be eating 5-7 large feeders every other day or every third day. She will probably eat what you give her, but shouldn't be eating that much. Start reducing her feeders by 2 or 3 on the middle days. That way she doesnt think youre starving her. Although she can go quite a while without food.

I'm pretty sure she's going to need to lay a lot of eggs very soon...and although I would cut her feeding back a bit I wouldn't cut it back too much while she's working on a clutch. I let mine lay their clutch and then feed them well for a couple of days then cut the feeding back to about 8 crickets or other insects every 2 or 3 days. (You should really be feeding her every other day or every three days now.) I would make sure the dusting with phos free calcium powder is done every insect right now.

For laying I use a washed playsand in an opaque bin. The sand I use is produced by Kings and comes in a white bag with red, blue and yellow sand box toys pictured on it. The bin should be at least 12" x 8" x 6 to 8" deep. The sand should be moist enough to hold a tunnel.

How long ago did you find the last clutch of eggs buried?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom