Female Veiled, need help asap

karacham

Hi all, first off, thanks for all the feedback on these forums. I am new to register, but have been reading over the past couple months. I got a female veiled cham at the end of December off of craigslist. They said she was 8 mos. old and had gotten her from a pet store. I got all the "supplies" with her included in the purchase. Needless to say, nearly everything was wrong: small, glass enclosure, with substrate, and no uvb lights, etc.

Here is what is going on: I have moved her into a 24x24x48 screen enclosure with basking branches about 8 inches below the basking bulb. Temp at this height is 80-81 consistently. House is set at 70 degrees, so that is the nighttime temp. She is not near any windows, vents, or fans. Low traffic area (except for me checking on her). I have a shower curtain around 3 of the 4 sides to retain humidity and reduce the stress of activity outside her enclosure. The enclosure is on a stand so she is up higher than me.

She mainly eats gut loaded crickets, but will eat horn worms, dubia roaches, and super worms (very rare that I have offered these). Crickets are dusted with calcium without d3, and a multivitamin dusting once a week. I have live pothos and a money tree in the enclosure and noticed that she had eaten from several leaves. I feed her nearly everyday since she was underweight when I got her, and put 12-14 crickets in the enclosure (I don't believe she consumes that many based on the remaining live and dead crickets when I get home).

She has had a uvb light, in addition to the basking light, since I got her. When I moved her into her new enclosure, I switched to the t5/6% uvb light, along with the grow light for plants. This is laid across the top of the cage.

I have a mist king that goes off four times a day. I just upped the length of time to go up to three minutes for three of those mistings. I saw her drink from a leaf after the misting for the first time just the other day. (Vet stated she is not dehydrated, so she must be getting moisture in ok- more on the vet later). I also have a fogger that goes for 5-7 hours each night. I do not have a humidity guage.

Since she is a female, I have put a laying bin in her enclosure. I noticed a change in her back end and believed that she had developed eggs. I noticed about two weeks ago that she was very shaky when she moved, specifically with her front legs. I took her to a reptile vet. Vet said she didn't feel any eggs, but she clearly could use more calcium. I went home with liquid calcium and give it to her orally. A week after the vet visit, she dropped one egg in the bottom of the cage, not in the laying bin (but she had been in it). Two days later, one more egg. She seems to have more, but as of today, none have been laid.

Here is where I need the most help. She seems to be going downhill. Sleeping ALL the time, within minutes of her lights going on (from 7-7 everyday). Paler in color, and today less feisty about the liquid calcium. I worry she is dying in front of my eyes. I called the vet and she said to up the calcium. I feel her eating has dropped off, too...but she has been pooping, so who knows. Any help would be appreciated....thanks.....

Hi all, first off, thanks for all the feedback on these forums. I am new to register, but have been reading over the past couple months. I got a female veiled cham at the end of December off of craigslist. They said she was 8 mos. old and had gotten her from a pet store. I got all the "supplies" with her included in the purchase. Needless to say, nearly everything was wrong: small, glass enclosure, with substrate, and no uvb lights, etc.

Here is what is going on: I have moved her into a 24x24x48 screen enclosure with basking branches about 8 inches below the basking bulb. Temp at this height is 80-81 consistently. House is set at 70 degrees, so that is the nighttime temp. She is not near any windows, vents, or fans. Low traffic area (except for me checking on her). I have a shower curtain around 3 of the 4 sides to retain humidity and reduce the stress of activity outside her enclosure. The enclosure is on a stand so she is up higher than me.

Pictures of the enclosure please.

She mainly eats gut loaded crickets, but will eat horn worms, dubia roaches, and super worms (very rare that I have offered these). Crickets are dusted with calcium without d3, and a multivitamin dusting once a week. I have live pothos and a money tree in the enclosure and noticed that she had eaten from several leaves. I feed her nearly everyday since she was underweight when I got her, and put 12-14 crickets in the enclosure (I don't believe she consumes that many based on the remaining live and dead crickets when I get home).

Supplement schedule:
Calcium w/o d3 every day
Multivitamin x1 every other week
Calcium w/d3 x1 every other week

I wouldn't worry about her eating the leaves unless she is eating constantly and in high amounts.

I would feed her 5-8 crickets every other day. I would cup feed so she can find them easier.

She has had a uvb light, in addition to the basking light, since I got her. When I moved her into her new enclosure, I switched to the t5/6% uvb light, along with the grow light for plants. This is laid across the top of the cage.

Good.

I have a mist king that goes off four times a day. I just upped the length of time to go up to three minutes for three of those mistings. I saw her drink from a leaf after the misting for the first time just the other day. (Vet stated she is not dehydrated, so she must be getting moisture in ok- more on the vet later). I also have a fogger that goes for 5-7 hours each night. I do not have a humidity guage.

Get a humidity gauge asap. I would mist 2-3 times a day for 2-4 minutes. 4 times for that long sounds like alot.

Since she is a female, I have put a laying bin in her enclosure. I noticed a change in her back end and believed that she had developed eggs. I noticed about two weeks ago that she was very shaky when she moved, specifically with her front legs. I took her to a reptile vet. Vet said she didn't feel any eggs, but she clearly could use more calcium. I went home with liquid calcium and give it to her orally. A week after the vet visit, she dropped one egg in the bottom of the cage, not in the laying bin (but she had been in it). Two days later, one more egg. She seems to have more, but as of today, none have been laid.

She is probably egg bound. Dropping eggs is not normal, and concerning. Post posts of pictures of her and her current setup.

Here is where I need the most help. She seems to be going downhill. Sleeping ALL the time, within minutes of her lights going on (from 7-7 everyday). Paler in color, and today less feisty about the liquid calcium. I worry she is dying in front of my eyes. I called the vet and she said to up the calcium. I feel her eating has dropped off, too...but she has been pooping, so who knows. Any help would be appreciated....thanks.....

Pictures of her. Sleeping during the day is a huge sign of sickness.

She has eggs that need to come out. She may need surgery to remove them if it's not too late. Do you need the name of a vet in your area that might be able to spay her? We would need to know what city and state to get you a recommendation? @jannb

Here are a few photos. Thanks for the response. The picture where she is greener was taken on February 1st. So, I've noticed a bulge since that time.

Attachments

• frankie 4.jpg
    frankie 4.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 87
  • frankie 2.jpg
    frankie 2.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 98
  • frankie 1.jpg
    frankie 1.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 99
She has eggs that need to come out. She may need surgery to remove them if it's not too late. Do you need the name of a vet in your area that might be able to spay her? We would need to know what city and state to get you a recommendation? @jannb
Yes, Minneapolis/at paul Minnesota

Back
Top Bottom