Female veiled NAILS hummingbird moth in slow-mo

We actually started out using moth traps because they are so much easier to make. All you need is a white sheet and a black light. Hang the sheet up outside, preferably near some type of woods or field, and shine the black light on it. It’s that simple. After a few min moths will start landing on your sheet making them very easy to catch.

My 5yo son loves doing this, he begs for it every night rain or shine!

upload_2018-7-16_18-38-53.png

We actually started out using moth traps because they are so much easier to make. All you need is a white sheet and a black light. Hang the sheet up outside, preferably near some type of woods or field, and shine the black light on it. It’s that simple. After a few min moths will start landing on your sheet making them very easy to catch.

My 5yo son loves doing this, he begs for it every night rain or shine!

That's fantastic! I wish I had the availability to do this. We live next to fields that yield corn, sunflowers, safflower, hay, alfalfa and the like, but I'm cautious of the chemicals that are sprayed and am equally afraid of the overspray of chemical pesticides that drift over to us. Who knows what I'll wind up with in time. I just can't take the chance with Lucky.

Honestly, I probably wouldn't test other than like once a year even if i did do this. Unless my cham is showing signs something's wrong I'll likely not treat them. If/when I breed I will test regularly though.

On another note, if you're looking to save money with feeders, just have several roach colonies. And whatever else you like.

That's fantastic! I wish I had the availability to do this. We live next to fields that yield corn, sunflowers, safflower, hay, alfalfa and the like, but I'm cautious of the chemicals that are sprayed and am equally afraid of the overspray of chemical pesticides that drift over to us. Who knows what I'll wind up with in time. I just can't take the chance with Lucky.

You don’t have to stay in your yard and do this, every weekend my son and I jump on our ATVs and set the traps in different spots. Every spot has a different set of bugs, no two are identical. For example if I want to catch a lot of dragon flys I’m going to set up close to the bayou. If I want locusts I’ll set up in an overgrown field. This is what really gives me a boost when it comes to having a large variety of feeders available.

I’ve been getting a lot of questions about this lately. I think the next time we do it I’ll make a video...

Honestly, I probably wouldn't test other than like once a year even if i did do this. Unless my cham is showing signs something's wrong I'll likely not treat them. If/when I breed I will test regularly though.

On another note, if you're looking to save money with feeders, just have several roach colonies. And whatever else you like.

I don’t do it to save money, I do it because of the nutritional benefit. It’s also something my 5yo son loves to do and I love watching him loose his little mind every time he finds a new kind of bug he’s never seen before. That alone makes it worth it.

I have a thriving Dubai and BSFL colony but I rarely feed them to my chams...

I was referring to the other poster. That's cool you have a bsfl colony though, don't see that very often.

Also, I bet that's a great time with your son. My first child(a boy) is due any day now... I hope he shares my interest in weird critters.

I was referring to the other poster. That's cool you have a bsfl colony though, don't see that very often.

Also, I bet that's a great time with your son. My first child(a boy) is due any day now... I hope he shares my interest in weird critters.
The BSFL is mainly for fishing and my chickens.

And don’t even worry about your son’s interest, once he sees his daddy doing it you won’t be able to keep him out of it! Once he starts learning to walk all he will want to do is follow you and do what you do. I’m a single father with full custody of my son, I can’t think of a way to describe how rewarding of an experience it is to raise a son.

Back
Top Bottom