Female Veiled going nuts

mcghee26

I have a female veiled chameleon who is about 9-10 months old. I know everyone recommends waiting til females are at least 1 year of age to mate, but here is my question. She is going crazy in her cage the last couple of weeks, she can't sit still and is just all over the cage. She used to be really really mean, probably the meanest veiled I have ever owned, but now when I open up the cage to water or feed her she is heading for my arm and wants to come out. I have taken her out and shown her to my male a couple of days ago just to she what she would do. She really didn't pay too much attention to him, but of course he went nuts and wanted to attack her. He is a very aggressive male with the females. Anyway, I have not noticed any blue spots on her to let me know that she is ready, they are just green. Is her not being able to sit still a sign that she is ready to mate?

Does she have a place to dig and lay eggs in her enclosure?
She may be cycling an infertile clutch.
How big is her enclosure?
What are the temps?

-Brad

Brad,
She is not at the bottom of her cage looking for a place to dig, she is crawling all over the door and ceiling of her enclosure. Her enclosure is approx. 4' tall by 2' wide and 2' deep. Her temps have been the same since summer at 75 at the bottom with a basking spot around 88. The temps, enclosure, humidity, watering schedule, feeding schedule has all remained the same. She does not look like she is gravid or has any eggs in her. In my own opinion I just think she is ready to mate and was wondering if anyone else has seen this with their cham.

It's likely that she is just becoming sexually active.
Females, like males, can be much more active when it's breeding season or when the female is receptive.
I would slow down her food intake. That will help to prevent larger clutches.
If you didn't already know... females can produce eggs without breeding.
How old is she?

Back
Top Bottom