Female Veiled brown while basking?

HannahDJA

I'm sorta new around here, but I did some looking around here and other sources and couldn't find a solid answer to my question. So I decided to ask.

I want to apologize if this question is common, or has been constantly asked. I really can't find anything solid.

Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Veiled, female, 7 months. I've had her since September 2012, so 5 months she's been in my care.

Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Little to none. I handled her to keep her from injuring herself when I switched around her enclosure last month. Before that, I only handled her when I needed to upgrade her enclosure.

Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? I switch up her feeders from 4-5 week crickets and king worms. She get's anywhere from 6-8 a day, spread out, half in the morning after I turn on their lights, and the rest at night. I feed my feeders lettuce and oranges.

Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? The woman who sold my chammy's to me gave me repti-calcium, and reptivite with D3 (I know some people may suggest better supplements, however, I know the woman personally and her own colony of chameleons are all extremely healthy on these supplements.)

Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? After I turn on their lights in the morning, I will feed and mist them, and after I feed them during the evening, I mist again. I use an exo terra reptile mister and mist her for 30 seconds to a couple minutes. I always see her drink, and she never seems desperate for water.

Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Her fecal matter is dark brown with white urate. She's never been tested for parasites.

History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. None. Before I had her, she'd been with her breeder for 3 months.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? She's in a 100 gallon flexarium. It's 30'' wide, 16'' deep, and 48'' tall.

Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?Not sure what models, but I have an exo terra Aluminum UV Reflector Lamp Light Dome with a 26w Reptile UVB 100, which was formally Repti Glo 5.0. And a exo terra glow light/porcelain lamp with a 50w infrared basking spot. I know that it's not the infrared light, because I had concerns with her basking coloring before I got an infrared light. She get's 12 hours of light, 8 am to 8 pm every day.

Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Her basking temperature is 80F and her cooler side is in the high 60's, low 70's. I measure and regulate these with a digital thermometer.

Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Her humidity levels are kept around the 60 levels. This is maintained by aid from live plants, heavy misting, and my own personal humidifier. I measure and regulate this with a digital hydrometer.

Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? I have a ficus plant in her enclosure.

Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Her enclosure is located on an inner wall (a wall that isn't on the outside of the house). It's away from all windows and vents, and stands 4 feet off the floor. She's in my room, so there isn't any high traffic.

Location - Where are you geographically located? I'm located in Canada.

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. My female veiled chameleon is always dark brown while she basks, however, is a pleasant green otherwise (while she's not under her basking light and doing other things, like eating, or sleeping, or hanging out on the other side of her enclosure.)

I grabbed a few pictures of her before she got too upset (my camera is pitch black and she absolutely hates it). Sera when she's basking 1 and 2

Back
Top Bottom