Female panther eye problem first day ?

chamillion

Established Member
Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon: Female Panther, 1 months old. It has been in my care for 3 months.
Handling - Twice a week.
Feeding - I feed her with grasshoppers abaout 5 cm long. I give her 3 grasshoppers a day.
Supplements - I use Zoo Med Repti calcium without d3 every day. And I use Exo Terra Multivitamin once every month.
Watering - I have Exo Terra RS Monsoon 400 for misting. It mists every 6 hours for 1 minute.
Fecal Description - Black or brown. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?- No ıt hasn't.
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - I have Exo Terra 60*45*90 glass terrarium.
Lighting - I have 2 Exo Terra 10.0 Uvb and 1 Exo terra 5.0 Uvb and one 40 watt basking spot on top of the cage. I turn them on in the morning about 7:00 and I turn them off at night 20:00.
Temperature - It's 23 degree at the bottom of the cage. And it is 28 degree at the top of the cage and it is 32 degree basking zone.
Humidity - It is abaout %60-%90. I am using misting system.
Plants - I have no live plants.
Placement -
Location - I'm ın Turkey, Istanbul.
Current Problem - Today when I came from school. I saw her on the branch with black colors and his right eye has closed. I took some photos the I touched her after that her eye has opened. But sometimes she can close her eye.

Her left eye(I have no problem with left eye)

Her right eye!!!!!

And her right eye after I touched her????????

Pleas help me with this problem :(

Hi there, not really sure how you can have a 1 month old chameleon for 3 months, but that is not the problem here...lol. From the description of your setup, it looks to me like you are overdosing her on UVB! There is no need for 3 UVB bulbs - the 5.0 will be sufficient along with the 40W basking bulb. Get rid of the two 10.0 UVB's. Sometimes a chameleon can develop eye problems when there is too much light, which I think (hopefully) may be the case with your panther.

If your girl is as young as you say, she will require alot more feeders than 3 crickets a day. The general rule of thumb is to feed as much as she will eat within a 5 minute time frame. Generally that amounts to 10 - 12 crickets per day. She is probably very hungry!

Another suggestion would be to set your misting system to mist more frequently, such as 2 - 3 minutes of misting every 4 hours. If you could add a dripper to her cage to provide water in between misting, this would be beneficial.

Also, I would like to add that you will need to add another supplement: calcium WITH D3. It could be beneficial to follow this supplementation schedule:

- Calcium without D3 at every feeding
- Calcium WITH D3 every second Sunday
- Multivitamin every second Sunday.

It would be beneficial to use the cal with D3 one Sunday and then the next Sunday use the multivitamin and then the next Sunday the cal with D3 again and so on and so on.

Otherwise I think your setup is good....just get rid of some of the UVB lighting and she should be fine.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I was trying to figure that one out also~1 month old, but had for 3 months??? I am sure it is a typo. Maybe there is something in the eye and you startled her when you touched it. Is it still closed And I agree on the lights also. Too much!

Sorry for that. She is 1 YEAR old. Of course you can see her on photos :D yes it is still closed :( and I don't think it is about lights. I have male panthers. I use the same lighting on them. And there is no problem with them. But when the misting starts the water directly mist her eye sometimes. And she don't move or escape from water. She just stay and close her eyes. Maybe the problem is misting too much ?

Back
Top Bottom