female panther closing eyes. out of ideas.

jojothefirst

Hi
I have owned a female panther for around 2 months now.
She is 10 months old and she has always intermediately kept her right eye and sometimes both eyes closed.
I own 3 panthers and a veiled (among others) so I know her set up is correct so I haven't filled in form.

During a shed she noticeably struggled with it around her eyes and I have cleaned them out with saline solution a few times and showered her and it hasn't helped.
I have tried to give here extra vitamins just in case she is lacking vitamin A but she been a fussy eater but she's fat and previous owner said she ate very well and she has really big fat pads on her head so I don't think she has a infertile clutch. When she has seen my male she has been "up for it" as well so again makes me think it's fat not eggs.
It takes very little to disturb her and get her to open them so i dont think she is seriously ill.
I'm very confused now.

Any help appreciated

Hi
I have owned a female panther for around 2 months now.
She is 10 months old and she has always intermediately kept her right eye and sometimes both eyes closed.
I own 3 panthers and a veiled (among others) so I know her set up is correct so I haven't filled in form.

During a shed she noticeably struggled with it around her eyes and I have cleaned them out with saline solution a few times and showered her and it hasn't helped.
I have tried to give here extra vitamins just in case she is lacking vitamin A but she been a fussy eater but she's fat and previous owner said she ate very well and she has really big fat pads on her head so I don't think she has a infertile clutch. When she has seen my male she has been "up for it" as well so again makes me think it's fat not eggs.
It takes very little to disturb her and get her to open them so i dont think she is seriously ill.
I'm very confused now.

Any help appreciated

What brand vitamins are your using ?

Don't forget nutrobal contains D3 too so you are giving D3 four times a month.

Last edited:
Have you taken her to the vet, so they can check to see if there is something in the eye, or if it is scratched, etc

I don't know why you think she couldn't have an infertile clutch in the oven. Sounds to me like she could.

Although you think your husbandry is good, and it probably is, it still couldn't hurt to fill in the form.

nutrobal multivitamin x2 month
Calcium without d3 every feed
With d3 x2 month

Il emphasis that she's been like it since the day I got her so it's not something I'm doing that has caused it but I can't work out how to fix it.

On the label, what is the source of vitamin A ?

Is it beta-carotene, Retinal acetate, or retinal palminate (aka Vitamin A palmitate) ?

On the label, what is the source of vitamin A ?

Is it beta-carotene, Retinal acetate, or retinal palminate (aka Vitamin A palmitate) ?

I'm at work so can't look at the moment but will do when I get home.

Hypothetically, if 1 eye was scratched/damaged/got something in it....
Firstly, would she be perfectly able to use the eye but it would be irritating her so would close it or would she simply not be able to open it at all.
secondly, would a natural response be to after a little while of using just one eye, would she close the other eye as well or could she be able to use 1 eye with no problem?

Last edited:
I'm at work so can't look at the moment but will do when I get home.

Hypothetically, if 1 eye was scratched/damaged/got something in it....
Firstly, would she be perfectly able to use the eye but it would be irritating her so would close it or would she simply not be able to open it at all.
secondly, would a natural response be to after a little while of using just one eye, would she close the other eye as well or could she be able to use 1 eye with no problem?

All things possible with regard to the first part of your question. If the irritation is mild, she will be able to use it some. Keep it open some. As it gets worse, then worse things happen.

If it were such as a scratch, or something in one eye, the other would not be affected, and she could use it just fine. But if it is such as a vitamin A deficiency, it will eventually affect both eyes.

I think a vitamin A deficiency rates as a likely candidate. Is your supplement a powder ?

All things possible with regard to the first part of your question. If the irritation is mild, she will be able to use it some. Keep it open some. As it gets worse, then worse things happen.

If it were such as a scratch, or something in one eye, the other would not be affected, and she could use it just fine. But if it is such as a vitamin A deficiency, it will eventually affect both eyes.

I think a vitamin A deficiency rates as a likely candidate. Is your supplement a powder ?

Thank you, that helps a lot.

Yes, supplements are all powder.

She seems to do this more often in the morning and night. During the day she can go ages without a issue.

Thank you, that helps a lot.

Yes, supplements are all powder.

She seems to do this more often in the morning and night. During the day she can go ages without a issue.

Two-part PM sent.

Since it is a powder, it is using either beta-carotene as a vitamin A source, which will not work at all well with your panther, or retinal acetate, which is synthetic Vitamin A, and which is only marginally effective. The best Vitamin A is the real-deal, retinal palmitate, which is oil based, and not easy to crystalize, and therefor will not be in a powder. My belief is that all chameleons should get real vitamin A, either in a liquid multi-vitamin, or as just Vitamin A, directly administered to the chameleon, twice monthly.

The PM explains it all better, and how do procure it, and ways to give it to your cham. Also dosage should a deficiency be suspected or indicated.

Two-part PM sent.

Since it is a powder, it is using either beta-carotene as a vitamin A source, which will not work at all well with your panther, or retinal acetate, which is synthetic Vitamin A, and which is only marginally effective. The best Vitamin A is the real-deal, retinal palmitate, which is oil based, and not easy to crystalize, and therefor will not be in a powder. My belief is that all chameleons should get real vitamin A, either in a liquid multi-vitamin, or as just Vitamin A, directly administered to the chameleon, twice monthly.

The PM explains it all better, and how do procure it, and ways to give it to your cham. Also dosage should a deficiency be suspected or indicated.

Very much appreciated. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom