Female Panther Cham - Potential eye issue

liamrichards86

Hi All,

2 days ago I noticed my 10 month old girl running her left eye on a branch, after that I saw her self cleaning it for a few moments, that particular eye is a "little" sunken and she occasionally has it shut.

Im not sure if she agitated it on something inside the enclosure or a infection, I have lightly hand misted around her to make her clean the area bit more and put her in the shower as well, it seems be getting better, but the slightly sunken in socket and closed eye had me worried.

She's booked in to the vets but isn't open Sur to bank holidays In UK till Tuesday.

Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• 20211231_160501.jpg
    20211231_160501.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 74
  • 20211231_160443.jpg
    20211231_160443.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 73
I think misting the eye to encourage her to clean it is good but showers are not recommended for chameleons. What feels like tepid water to us can be scalding to a chameleon. The vet visit is good because eye problems can’t be diagnosed or treated by advice, you really need to know what’s wrong. The only thing I will say is some of the artificial vines will cause eye problems if your chameleon rubs their eye on it so removal of any fake vines is highly recommended.

I think misting the eye to encourage her to clean it is good but showers are not recommended for chameleons. What feels like tepid water to us can be scalding to a chameleon. The vet visit is good because eye problems can’t be diagnosed or treated by advice, you really need to know what’s wrong. The only thing I will say is some of the artificial vines will cause eye problems if your chameleon rubs their eye on it so removal of any fake vines is highly recommended.
Thanks for the suggestion, the fake vines are ironically what she was rubbing her eye on to itch herself.

Will remove the few I have in there and replace with more branches.

Thanks

That’s a great idea! Those fake vines are known to disintegrate over time and when the chams rub their eyes on them little pieces of the vine can get into their eyes. Real vines and branches are always the best choice in a chams enclosure. I would still take her to the vet because she could have an eye infection or even something in her eye that you can’t see. The vet can give you advice or maybe medication to help her heal her eye. Let us know what the vet says and I hope she gets better soon!

Hey, I'm using arcadia earth pro every feed, and arcadia revitalise d3 twice a month, gutload Dubai roaches and locusts with sweet potato, spring greens

Hey, I'm using arcadia earth pro every feed, and arcadia revitalise d3 twice a month, gutload Dubai roaches and locusts with sweet potato, spring greens
Are you using the Earth Pro A? If so, you need to add the Arcadia calciumpro-mg. Here is the schedule for these (taken from DragonStrand).
197FB2F4-FBED-48E3-9BCF-AF5B2F499F5A.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom