Female K. matschiei

Mike Fisher

Established Member
Morning basking. I assume this is gravid coloration but I've never seen this documented with photos so just guessing. If it means receptive, she's out of luck, cause I got no males here. She was even higher contrast before she saw the camera. The lighter areas were a brilliant white. Very pretty.

I'm enjoying learning about this species.

Attachments

• chams 005.jpg
    chams 005.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 200
she's a beautiful gal, cnorton may still have a male available...
be a shame not to take advantage of fresh bloodlines.

thanks for sharing:D

she's a beautiful gal, cnorton may still have a male available...
be a shame not to take advantage of fresh bloodlines.

thanks for sharing:D

I'm gonna see if I can get a clutch or possibly two out of her before breeding her. I'll know after the first clutch if she's been fertilized in the wild. The other female has already laid one fertile clutch so I have high hopes she will too.

That would get me two distinct bloodlines before even breeding them. If I could somehow get my hands on two males, even better, but it looks like the odds on that are slim. But you never know what might come in with a shipment these days.

Mike, I've left a lot of breadcrumbs for you to follow all over the forum. You can find my G-fischer's posts and lots of them hyperlink to other threads full of information I've collected.

Also, I've collected a lot of information on the Usambara Mountains and the climate that K. mats live in. The West Usambaras info will be helpful for your multis and East for the mats.

From my experience, patterns and coloration are misleading with G-fischer's. You will notice your females will get this same pattern year round with changing moods and temperature. This pattern is the same pattern my females and males get when outside, directly under their UVB bulbs, or heat stressed. You will occasionally notice rusty reds and pinks and I used to attribute that to a gravid coloration but have since seen it twice without clutches laid either time.

Last edited:
Mike, I've left a lot of breadcrumbs for you to follow all over the forum.

Yes, I been following them for awhile and after I think I've found them all, I stumble across a new tidbit. :)

You've done so much in a short time to document a lot about this species. It is the reason I wanted to work with them. Your photos are very impressive.

Thanks for the info on coloration/patterning. I still have much to learn about them. Trying to absorb it all. My other female is recovering really nicely since deposition of 21 eggs. She looks better every day. Importation while gravid is very hard on them.

Back
Top Bottom