Female community housing: panthers

bake

I have searched the forums, but I never really get much light on the subject. I want to get one male and some females.

What are the risks of female joint housing, how many females can you keep in one large enclosure, what are the risks, health problems, etc.

If someone knows how to run the forum search a little bit better then I, then just hit me with a link. I can't seem to find anything.

Panthers need to be housed individually. The stress of being housed together could kill your panthers. Even 2 females will stress if put into a cage together. Mine are all in separate cages and cannot see each other. When I have one of them out, male or female, and walk by another's cage the stress colors pop out. Also if males and females are housed together you have no control over breeding and neither do the females, that alone is major stress. All the literary will tell you not to do it.

Thanks for the input. I have just read from time to time that they can be housed together.

Yet another that agrees with Laurie (and Jann). There are females that will "tolerate" each other, but in the long run it will stress them out and it is better to house them separately if you want long-lasting, healthy chams.

I appreciate the help guys. I have been around this forum for about 6 months reading, I have finally decided that it is time to put some of this reading to practice.

ok, to extend the question, at what age would you all suggest seperating females?
sooner the better after 2~ months is what I would think, but still very new to this all

How big is the enclosure in which you were thinking of housing two females? If the space is really large, with more than one basking area and plenty of food, then yes, you could keep two females "together". But it would have to be a BIG space.

I begin separating babies around the two month mark, more dependant on their size and attitudes (signs of aggression) than on age.

thats still young, although it doesnt really matter the age, you could separate them after a week or so, but 5 months is about good, 6 is pushing it.

For me 5 or 6 months is wayyyyyy past the point where I separate them IMHO. maybe I am over protective.

I agree, keep them separated. Sandra has a good ide that could work but it really seems to be too much of a hassle and more space needed than just keeping them in their own cages.

I would separate all youngsters around 2 months of age and its never too early to separate them. Before this they are kept in very small groups. 4 max. There is too much that can happen when housing them together. Fights, domination which leads to the ones being dominant not able to bask and eat as much, tangled tongues from them trying to catch the same feeder, and battle scars from fighting/ climbing on each other. Eyes can be poked by nails etc.

Laurie!!!!! I dont think you are over protective!!! You just dont want your babies to have something happen to them or even be all scared up from climbing all over each other;)

Its honestly pretty sad that people have to raise all of these panther babies together until they are sold. Its sad to see them being sold all scratched up, bite marks, missing scales etc. for the same price as someone who takes the health and appearance of their animals very seriously and sells top notch animals. These animals are sold with a big price tag and so many people skimp on keeping them "clean".

Panthers being over priced aside, there is a reason why people can sell their animals with a higher than others price tag. One they sell flawless animals and two they have great reputations for selling high quality animals and doing what is right if something was to happen. It is disgusting to see all of these people who raise beat up ass specimen in huge groups in tubs, with almost no reputation at all, for the same prices as the "good breeders". These animals are beat up, the seller has next to no reputation, they are newer breeders and just starting to deal with neonatal care but it seems the only thing in their eyes is $$$.

Just my two cents:rolleyes:

I am fairly skilled with a hand saw? What would be the best baby sized cage as to get the most in one space yet keeping them healthy, seperate, etc? anyone have any suggestions?

I've seen pictures of baby setups made from plastic storage boxes standing on one end, with the lid facing forward. Cut openings in the lids for screen inserts and on the top for a UV tube light a row of the boxes can share.

2 females

If you can house two females together, think of the space it will need? put that against the size of cage for a single occupant you can weigh it up, but Panthers are beautifull Chameleans but harder to keep than say Veiled. Do you really need the added risk and hardship to the creature plus you will have a Cham constantly on its gaurd. It have to go with individual setup option.

Back
Top Bottom