Female cham not eating

AReptile

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - Female veiled chameleon, been in my care a little under 2 years. Her birthday is next month..

Handling - Once every few weeks or however she tries to come out of her cage and she needs to b put back in

Feeding - she has eaten crickets, dubia roaches, waxworms on infrequent occasion, superworms, hornworms, silkworms, and butterworms. Currently eating hornworms and butterworms

Supplements - Rep-cal w/o d3, w/d3, and repcal multivitamin. I dust the crickets, roaches, and superworms. Calcium w/o d3 given 5/6 days a week, with d3 twice a month, and multivitamin once a month.

Watering - I hand spray her anywhere from 2-5 minutes twice a day. She usually drinks from it. I also have a terrarium mister on her right now

Fecal Description - I dont remember the last time she went, id say a few days ago though.
History - She has MBD and is small because of it.

Cage Info:

Cage Type - Screen cage 2x2x2

Lighting - Regular house bulb ( around 25 watts) and reptiglo 5.0 uvb light ( the linear one)

Temperature - Basking spot is usually low 80s around this time of year.

Humidity - Anywhere from 30 to 70%, i use a hygrometer.

Plants - Think it's like a mini- schefflera or however u spell it..

Placement - On my wall unit, top of the cage is about 9 feet off the floor.

Location - NY

Current Problem - She hasn't eaten in i'd say 2 days, at one point this fall she was eating like crazy. LAst 2 days she has turned food down something i get concerned about because usually all my lizards are pigs when it comes to dinner time! I have a few theories: 1: She is impacted, though i dont know why she is currently eating hornworms which r soft bodied and she has always produced a fecal with the temps i keep the basking spot at. 2: She is eggbound, she shows receptive colors and has put on a lot of weight these past few months she must've doubled in weight since then.Also i dont know why but her vent area is not a normal color, this is VERY recent and this is the one i think is causing the problem. However I am unsure what to do... I took her out today and inspected her she seems to b behaving normally in every way but feeding. I misted her in my hand and she drank a lot so idk what the problem is. I am going to upload the two pictures i took of her today.
Edit: Got some pictures up of her and her vent area, I think it looks like a burn of some sort..

Attachments

• IMG-20111220-00118.jpg
    IMG-20111220-00118.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG-20111220-00119.jpg
    IMG-20111220-00119.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG-20111220-00120.jpg
    IMG-20111220-00120.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Does she have a laying been? She might need to lay eggs. I would put in a laying bin if you don't already have one. If you think she's inpacted give her a drop or two of mineral oil everyday until she goes.

Oh yes I forgot to mention she does indeed have a laying been it has been in there for several months, it's pretty tall so she likes to hang off of the side of it. where should i be able to get mineral oil?

Oh yes I forgot to mention she does indeed have a laying been it has been in there for several months, it's pretty tall so she likes to hang off of the side of it. where should i be able to get mineral oil?

You can buy mineral oil at Walgreen or CVS.

It does look like she is preggers. If she just stopped eating 2 days ago I would say she may sooner than later start digging. Was she bred or is this an infertile clutch?

She has been out with my male a few times however I never let them do anything so i am positive if she is gravid it's infertile.

Bump, I didn't feed her today but she did drink a little. I am considering bringing her to the vet but I am not sure what they would do here..

Have u ever xrayed one of ur lizards? i asked about xrays for my beardie this past summer because i thought she should have been gravid and i was told that they need to put the lizard out in order to b xrayed and the whole process is expensive. I got charged 400$ for them to amputate a little bit of my green tree monitor's tail and supposedly they gave me a break on the price.

Have u ever xrayed one of ur lizards? i asked about xrays for my beardie this past summer because i thought she should have been gravid and i was told that they need to put the lizard out in order to b xrayed and the whole process is expensive. I got charged 400$ for them to amputate a little bit of my green tree monitor's tail and supposedly they gave me a break on the price.

I have had many X-rays on my chams and they are always awake and the price is usually under $100.00.

Well I got her to eat an appropriate sized hornworm today but i am probably going to try and get an appointment for her sometime tonight. What does that area look like to you kinyonga? If I had to guess i would say it looks like a burn of some sort.

I'm not a vet so I can't be sure...but what I was thinking is that whether its a burn or fungal or something else...it might be sore and might be stopping her from defecating. It might also bother her if she needs to lay eggs, but then I would think she would still likely dig a hole.

If its a burn...why is there a light "vein" of skin that runs between the two halves of the burn that isn't burnt looking??

Update on Curtis:
She has two parasites/bacteria, one of which is the black thing around her vent area. I dont recall the names of the infections cuz they were both complicated unusual names but apparently both of them are susceptible to the medicine they are giving her. Oh and she is eating again, i dropped crickets in yesterday and she went nuts for them.

Glad to hear that she is doing better. Whis you could tell us more about her parasites, bacteria and treatment.

Back
Top Bottom