Female acting differently.

JoeG

She an 11 month old panther & I've had her for a month. The last couple of days I noticed her looking around on the bottom of the cage more than usual. I also noticed her biting the leaves of the silk plants to the point of fraying the ends. Being this is my first female, I didn't know if it was a normal seasonal behavior or if something was wrong. Other than that she seems perfectly healthy with a great appetite. I don't think the basking spot is the issue , its around 80 with 50 percent humidity......

She doesn't have a laying bin , she's not been mated. More concerned about the fake leaves she's chewing on.......

she's not been mated.

That doesn't matter.
And you should be more concerned why she's pacing the bottom of the cage as opposed to why she's biting the leaves (probably should remove them if she's eating plastic).

I agree with Warp, probably gravid.

they don't have to be mated to lay eggs! they can lay infertile clutches and surely can at 11 months. You need to get something in there for her to lay eggs asap!!!!

Failure to provide a suitable place for her to dig to lay eggs can lead to eggbinding and almost certain death. It should be an opaque container no smaller than 12" deep x 12" x8". I use moistened (enough to hold a tunnel) washed playsand.

I didn't know that. I'll try putting a container in tomorrow. Can the size of the container be smaller? Her cage is small & can't fit anything that big in it. Is playsand the only kind of dirt to use?

How long before eggbinding can occur? I was trying to guess at the time frame I might have to set up a bigger & more appropriate cage for her

You can alternatively leave her in a container she can't get out of and see if she gets right to work. Mine had access to a large kitchen trashcan with 12" of moist ecoearth (coconut husk dirt stuff) and she just wasn't going into it. Then I decided to leave her in there without any way out (and put the bin in a quiet closet) and within 15 started digging, and 24 hours later she'd laid 30-something eggs.

You may be able to try something like that, I suppose. If she's pacing she may be totally ready to lay, she just needs where.

Yeah...don't wait. If you need to set up the "laying bin" in a separate container (think trash can size) do it and move her into it as Olimpia suggested.

Play sand is easy, but other "soil" will work. It's best if it's clear of fertilizer and stuff though. That's one reason play sand gets mentioned. You can find it at WalMart in the garden section.

It should be moist enough that it will hold a "tunnel". Test it by digging a tunnel with your finger. If you can make a tunnel that is an inch across and stays open for 6 or 7 inches, you're good.

I'm crossing my fingers.

I fashioned a laying bin & put it in this morning but as of this afternoon she hasn't used it. I also just made one out of a garbage pail just in case. Is it a good time when she's like this to introduce her to a potential mate or is it too late at this point?

I fashioned a laying bin & put it in this morning but as of this afternoon she hasn't used it. I also just made one out of a garbage pail just in case. Is it a good time when she's like this to introduce her to a potential mate or is it too late at this point?

It would be too late if she is ready to lay. Make sure she does not see you checking up on her or she might abandon the hole or not even start digging if she sees you. This will lead to egg binding also.

Ok, go outside and get one of your 25 gal trash cans and clean out the inside.
Fill it with un fertilized soil, play sand, or a mix of both about half way. Do as others have said and make it moist enough.
Add a branch for her to rest on and sleep on, but can not get out.

This will force her to only have one thing to do, dig. Understand that she might not be finished in a day or two and might make many test holes...or what I call deception holes.
Each morning before she fully wakes up you should put her on a scale to see is she layed as some times we can't tell by just looking at them.

The reason she was chewing on the fake leaves was because she is starving and needs extra energy to do her job as she will stop eating just before she is ready.

Harry

So is the garbage pail a last resort , how long should I keep her in there & what about a light for warmth or UV. Also what about food ? It sounds like it might take days . I spent some time today setting up a 2x2x4' cage so I could try the 12 x 12 x 8 laying bin on the bottom but if the pail is better I can do that too, I just have to get more sand. either way sunday is the day because the one I made today was too small, she didn't use it. Thank you for the help. I really appreciate it......

Back
Top Bottom