Feet not wrapped around branch

opheliaeatsbugs

Avid Member
After laying, Ophelia has been much calmer. Generally choosing to hang out in the middle temp ranges. She hunts her crickets, moving around top to middle. When she is resting, I've noticed her paws/claws/oven mitts don't close around the branch fully.

Mean anything I should be worried about?
20170619_182721.jpg
20170619_182730.jpg
20170619_182750_001.jpg

In the absence of any other warning signs, I wouldn't say that not closing her feet around the branch fully presents any real problem.

However, it might be a good idea to check her grip. I don't advocate handling chameleons frequently, but for medical reasons it's okay to do so every now and then. Handle her gently and let her perch on your fingers and feel her grip - it should be strong, almost to the point that you feel it wouldn't be easy to dislodge her by pulling your fingers away.

If her grip is weak, then that may be a sign of something wrong. But if her grip is strong and everything else about her behavior seems normal, then I don't think there's any need to worry about her clasping the branches fully while basking.

Her back left foot looks swollen on the toe...maybe she injured it during the digging? Did you look on the bottom of her foot and around the toenails?

I'm not positive but soaking in warm water with clorohexidine solution and antibiotic ointment would be my first aid. I don't know how you would get the first part done with out serious stress.

Aside from any possible medical issues (which I hope she is OK!) I know that sometimes they don't like to grip fully onto branches/vines that are too small. Adding branches that are thicker as they grow give their feet something new to cling to, something that doesn't cause their claws from one side to dig into the other side of their foot. That pic you posted has a vine that doesn't look too tiny, but ya never know with these picky creatures. Try switching some of the small ones for some thicker ones along with all of the medical advice mentioned above. Good luck!!! Wishing you the best

I've honestly thought from the beginning it's the angle of the photo and the way the light is hitting her toe that made it look swollen. Hope she's fine!!! How was her grip while you were handling her?

I've honestly thought from the beginning it's the angle of the photo and the way the light is hitting her toe that made it look swollen. Hope she's fine!!! How was her grip while you were handling her?

Her grip is good. She's never had a killer-leave-marks type of grip, tho. I've just never seen her rest with an open foot before. Kinda weird

That's great that her grip seems normal. Hopefully she is actually just more relaxed now that the eggs have been laid! Anxious to hear what the others think now that there are more photos. Once again best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom