Feelings on chams in cups?

amalthea23

So, this past weekend I went to another reptile expo and again saw a few tables where chams were crammed into half pint deli cups. I *might* be able to deal with seeing them in a quart cup for a limited travel situation. And mine was shipped in a pint cup, but he was a TINY baby! These were sub adults, lots of them, lots of breeds. I just find that sort of thing upsetting. What do you all think? Are any of you breeders? What do you think about this?

I have not personally seen chameleons in the cups, but if I did I know it would bother me. I don't like to see any animal crammed in those little deli cups.

Not a fan. It's one thing when it's for shipping. Where they can see nothing because they are inside of a box, but on display in cups is a big red flag for me.

At every expo I've been to, there's at least 3 or 4 tables that keep chams like that. Most others also keep geckos, snakes, etc. Is this an industry standard thing? It seems awful to me.

At every expo I've been to, there's at least 3 or 4 tables that keep chams like that. Most others also keep geckos, snakes, etc. Is this an industry standard thing? It seems awful to me.

I have only seen snakes kept like that at a reptile show. Never any of the others. I'd say that is definitely not standard...

That's good to hear. I mean, for baby geckos and some of the frogs, it doesn't look too bad, but the chams, it upsets me every time I see it.

I'd be afraid enough getting a chameleon at a show - getting one that's been sitting in a deli cup all day I don't think I would. The ones in cages look stressed enough-
One of the nice things about getting a chameleon in the classified here is you get a good idea of who your getting it from and the care it's had growing up.
I've seen some nice looking panthers at shows in cages and they seem to be healthy - but I don't know how you would be able to really tell if they were in a deli cup. And, I can imagine what Chumley (my panther) would tell me if I told him he was going to sit in a deli cup all day- he gives me dirty looks if the size of his cricket is too small.
On another note - I really like the necklace good luck with your photography!

I don't mind the deli cups for shipping but never for a show. We take a small cage with us to take anything home. The cage has limited vision to help reduce stress and is large enough to keep the cham comfortable. That's if we get anything. I agree that often they look pretty stressed at certain sellers.

Keeping the snakes or geckos in the cups is fine, in my opinion, since these animals are nocturnal and they pretty much spend the entire show curled up and asleep in their cups. But whenever I see a person with chameleons in cups I know right away that they are just a dealer and not a breeder, so they're just flipping WC chameleons as fast as possible. So approach with caution when buying an animal from someone like this, because they're probably not even that knowledgeable about the animals they sell. They just get them in a shipment that week just in time to put up for sale that weekend.

that is how my first ( and only show ) was set up at almost every cham table - it was very upsetting - what was WORSE - when he just tossed them all into a crappy tote for the next show - one on top the other - NO water all day, NO heat all day, and everyone looked so scared - and the cups were clear, so as he stacked them , it was like being attacked I would think for the poor chams- every direction they looked, there was another cham, I will admit- it made me cry :( I know they were all wc - he did have a very healthy looking group of pygmy chams ( I am sure right from the wild :mad: ) 1.2 for $60 for all - but I did not want to deal w/ someone who cares less about the cham, and only $ - I have not been to another show

Back
Top Bottom