Feeding

Do veiled chameleons eat the dead crickets or mealworms or should i always feed him live food

Chams are predators. They hunt by watching for motion. If it isn't moving it isn't food. With exceptions for some veileds who may eat fruit and some fresh greens. However, you'll still need to provide live insect foods to make up the primary part of their diet.

Chams are predators. They hunt by watching for motion. If it isn't moving it isn't food. With exceptions for some veileds who may eat fruit and some fresh greens. However, you'll still need to provide live insect foods to make up the primary part of their diet.
I agree seems more appealing to them when its moving thanks

What if i let the crickets loose in the cage it seems like the chameleon wont find the crickets and the crickets are must faster?

What if i let the crickets loose in the cage it seems like the chameleon wont find the crickets and the crickets are must faster?

From what I've noticed the crickets don't run constant laps, they usually take off in different directions and then chill and meander about until BAM! Chams are natural born hunters. You could also try cup feeding if you're worried about him not finding them though.

Cup feeding is also nice because it creates habitual feeding actions. I like to keep track of what my chameleons eat. If there are issues going on that are causing changes in appetite, its is much easier to recognize these changes when you know the exact amount that were placed in the cup and you don't have to rummage through the cage for leftovers. When my chameleons see the cup coming for their enclosure they are like dogs hearing the food bag. I personally think repetition is a wonderful thing in chameleon care.

I'd recommend doing both free ranging and cup feeding. It'll allow your cham to move around and hunt (good exercise), while maintaining a fairly comfortable bond with its owner. I free range crickets, but cup feed just about everything else. I also hand feed or place them in different locations on the sidewalls of his cage.

Back
Top Bottom