Feeding while handling.

Joel

Hi guys, just curious, will feeding your chameleons while they are on your arm/hand/head/shoulder occasionally help in conditioning them? Would it make them more tolerant to being handled? thanks

I doubt it. They either tolerate being handled or not, theres nothing you can do really to try to condition them. Generally speaking you shouldnt really handle them anyway, theyre nice to look at but dont do well if constantly bothered.

I have a male veiled Cham he's about a few month old and I have been take him outside ever morning I can. This morning I was able to hold him and he ate a mealworm off the table it was pretty cool. Also while he was in his hibiscus this morning I can hold a cup of crickets up to him and he will eat a few out while I am hosing it. I feel that since I have been getting him out and putting him out side he is becoming a little bit more tolerant to me.

I doubt it. They either tolerate being handled or not, theres nothing you can do really to try to condition them. Generally speaking you shouldnt really handle them anyway, theyre nice to look at but dont do well if constantly bothered.

It will almost certainly help........everything that can think can be conditioned to be more tolerant........
Part of the conditioning for Chams is to remember that any handling is a kind of stress, they certainly should be left alone if they seem 'bothered'.
If he 'wants' to come sit on you, and he's comfortable to hand feed then consider it a bonus.......
Also, I spoilt my male for a bit by getting excited that he would eat waxworms from my hand..........he sulked for a week when I said he'd had enough.......

Back
Top Bottom