Feeding time has become a little strange

I think he's going to like the hornworms once he gets used to them. They are juicy and give a nice boost of hydration.

Should I also be introducing silk worms or should I hold off and introduce them until later? How much does my variety beyond what I am getting now matter? Do you think Horn, super worms and crickets are sufficient?

I do things the easy way! This is awful, but I label my feeder bins. Monday - orange heads, Tuesday superworms, Wednesday silkworms, ect. I only have 3 regular feeders, so each day is more than once a week. I also spoil my boy and give him stick bugs sometimes. Those are his brand of candy - he is nuts about them.

Just do what works for your guy and you. Add feeders when you are ready!

You will have to see how he does. With your improved supplement schedule, improved gut load and improved feeders his situation is greatly improved. Adding silks would be a bonus but isn't essential. I feed them because my guy isn't into hornworms and I can raise silks from eggs kept in my fridge. It's a convenience issue for me.

Did you end up reducing the basking temp? 100 degrees is still to hot in one area, they don't regulate their temps well sadly and so many of us have seen too many burns and all it takes is sitting in one place just too long.

Other than that I am so glad he is getting some variety and you are making changes to hopefully help him along the path to recovery! I am hoping he shows some improvement for you soon. It could take a couple months or so before you see anything too extreme as far as recovery, but if he starts getting worse in any way, definitely seek out a vet. <3 I am sorry I came off a bit rude, I didn't mean to >.< I have been dealing with some personal stuff lately and though I desperately try not to bring it into my posts in anyway I sometimes don't realize how my words come across! Trust me we are just like you and just want what's best for your baby <3

I will have additional feeders for sale soon, if you get interested in trying some more, I will have a lot up for offer in the long run if all works out like I hope, (this is not a plug honestly) and I have some friends on other forums etc, who I can contact if you are looking for lesser known species of like roaches etc. I have helped a few that way. I have 5 current feeders I raise and feed off, I have around 8 I feed off in total, I hope to be up raising 7 soon. So excited for the insects ^^ I can also help you set up colonies if you need some info on doing so <3 I love helping get lots of feeders for reptiles started and helping people's wallets out ^^

Did you end up reducing the basking temp? 100 degrees is still to hot in one area, they don't regulate their temps well sadly and so many of us have seen too many burns and all it takes is sitting in one place just too long.

Other than that I am so glad he is getting some variety and you are making changes to hopefully help him along the path to recovery! I am hoping he shows some improvement for you soon. It could take a couple months or so before you see anything too extreme as far as recovery, but if he starts getting worse in any way, definitely seek out a vet. <3 I am sorry I came off a bit rude, I didn't mean to >.< I have been dealing with some personal stuff lately and though I desperately try not to bring it into my posts in anyway I sometimes don't realize how my words come across! Trust me we are just like you and just want what's best for your baby <3

Its not 100 under the basking light. Its 100 right under the heat lamps if they are on during the summer. (Which they are not because its already 95-100 here) its not 100 in any other place. Under the basking light, the closest possible position where the heat is the highest is now is 95, I just tested it. But if I raise the lamp any higher I don't think it will serve the proper job. plus the heat won't go down any lower if I move it just due to the heat here. If I you guys have any suggestions I am up to lowering the temp. I just don't want the light to loose effect and cause more issues and on top of that I am not sure how. All out of ideas.

I hope he improves also! if not we do have a vet lined up anyways. I assure you no hard feelings here. Like I said I think is the way we read things sometimes that causes the misunderstandings.

I would be interested in learning, purchasing and raising my own insects once I figure out what he likes and doesn't like. Saving money makes us happy!

Just don't use the heat lamps for now and you are in good shape. If it gets hotter out you may need to increase misting to cool things down.
Temperature:
Baby/juvenile (<9 months): ambient 72-80F (22-26C), basking 85F (29C)
Adult males: ambient 75-80F (23-26C), basking 90-95F (32-35C)
Adult females: ambient 75-80F (23-26C), basking 85F (29C)

Back
Top Bottom