Feeding small flies to a larger chameleon

Pierce21

My chameleon eats large crickets, however I inherited a fruit fly colony. Would the larger cham still eat the small flies?

I've actually seen my parson's pick off little bromeliad flies. Not sure what species of flies they are, but they tend to hang out in the bromeliad cups and are about the size of a fruit fly.

I don't see it happening. I somehow got fruit flies in the soil of our vailed's enclosure. He doesn't even notice them. If you introduce fruit flies to your enclosure and have life plants in pots or a bioactive setup like I do, you will have a living colony. The only way to get rid of them is to spray with pesticides, which you would not want to do with your chameleon in there...

I would not recommend it.

I don't see it happening. I somehow got fruit flies in the soil of our vailed's enclosure. He doesn't even notice them. If you introduce fruit flies to your enclosure and have life plants in pots or a bioactive setup like I do, you will have a living colony. The only way to get rid of them is to spray with pesticides, which you would not want to do with your chameleon in there...

I would not recommend it.

I think you have soil/fungus gnats. I've never seen fruit flies go into the soil. And there are methods outside of pesticides for clearing them out.

Reactions: iMi
I think you have soil/fungus gnats. I've never seen fruit flies go into the soil. And there are methods outside of pesticides for clearing them out.

That's an excellent point and I don't know how I didn't think about it, but I don't think that's it because they are brown and there are very few of them. I also checked the soil and didn't see any crawling there. We had them in our house plants once.

Now I'll have to catch one and really take a close look. You could be right. In such case, forget everything I said... :ROFLMAO:

@iMi all good, I wouldn't know the difference if I didn't have issues with them in the past lol.

Fruit flies are a little bigger and have red eyes. The soil gnats are pretty tiny and black/brown. If you squish a fruit fly you can feel it, while the soil gnats are so small and delicate that you can hardly tell.

Variety is the spice of life ,so long as they will eat um. I think even if it's nutrition is low it would qualify as enrichment for sure

Back
Top Bottom