Feeding Silkworms

ChamChick

I was attempting to cup feed my panthers, and they just werent having it. They completely ignore the cups. I have some silkworms, so if I cant cup feed them to them, then what would be the best way to feed them? Would a dish on the bottom of the enclosure with the worms be ok? Also, how many do I feed them a day? Should I just alternate them with crickets, and other feeders?

Good to know about the branches, so I will give that a try. I will just experiment around to see what works best I suppose. I really wanted to do cup feeding, but I guess Im not doing something right, bc they seriously dont give a crap about that cup. I tried to hand feed them the silkies, but seeing as how I have had my 2 panthers for only a few weeks, they are pretty much still weirded out when my hand is around them, and will just juke me, and go the other way haha! So really they are not interested in whatever is in my hand at all. Im really hoping they get a bit more used to me. I know they probably wont enjoy being handled, but I would like to get them out maybe once a week for a shower, and a health check without them trying to bite me. Im hoping with time they will calm down a bit.

Also, I was a little worried about just putting them in the bottom of the cage, bc I use paper towels down there, and I didnt want my chams to have issues with paper towels sticking to their tongues. Not sure if that would happen or not, but I was trying to avoid it unless I knew for sure.

Cups don't work well with some animals. Modified jugs with screen in it do it for me. I put supers in here and sometimes the crickets or other worms.

IMG_0694.jpg

I cup feed some stuff, free range others, and shove things like silkworms and butter worms on a branch infront of him.

I find with the silk worms and butterworms etc. they aren't great for cup feeding because they produce silk, and just get tangled up with each other and my cham just ends up in a big mess.

Yeah I have noticed that about the silkies. Definitely a BIG mess when it comes to them. Any opinion on how often to feed them to my chams? Should I do those in combination with crickets in one day? Or should I alternate and do crickets one day, and silkies another, along with other things?

Yeah I have noticed that about the silkies. Definitely a BIG mess when it comes to them. Any opinion on how often to feed them to my chams? Should I do those in combination with crickets in one day? Or should I alternate and do crickets one day, and silkies another, along with other things?

I have done all of that. I've mixed one day and alternated others. I would say if you're trying to recreate the wild, then mix them all up in one day. Crickets usually go down first because they seem more stimulating.

I always cup/hand feed so I can control what and when they eat. I feel that smaller meals more frequently, just like in humans is much healthier. I have a baby veiled that eats out of my hand...With the silk worms, sometimes its there lack of movement that causes your cham to not eat it right away, so be patient. Also not all chams are meant to be cup/hand fed so you may have to just toss them into the cage. Heres some vid's if you wanna see how I cup feed my baby veiled.

http://www.youtube.com/user/dbangable?feature=mhum

Back
Top Bottom