Feeding Schedules

Catinblack

So, I’m creating a feeding schedule (I’m preparing for my first chameleon), but I was wondering if I could just throw crickets in his cage, and he’ll handle it himself (that’s what my family did with our geekos). If not, I’d like advice on how to raise the crickets. Can I just put them in a tubaware dish with holes in it? Also, I need help making my schedule. I’m currently in high school, and I preform in theater, so I’m out of the house everyday from 7 a.m- 5 p.m (it changes when we’re not preparing for a play, but I’d rather make something perminite). I you can help, I’d really appreciate it! Thank you!

It would be beneficial if you filled out this form real quick:

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

One trait all successful Cham keepers have is the ability to do their own research and apply what they learned. We are always here for you if you get stuck but ideally you should be doing your own research and learn the required husbandry specific to the spices you want to work with.

Once you have done your research and think you have the answers then, yes, by all means ask the forum your question to confirm that you came to the correct conclusion. That is our mission here, to distribute the knowledge and experiences we have had individually to make the Cham keeping community as a whole more effective.

I’m defanitly not trying to discourage you from asking any question you may have, only encouraging you to walk on your own two feet. I think this is a good example of that old saying that we’ve all heard:

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. But teach him to fish and he will eat for a lifetime...

One trait all successful Cham keepers have is the ability to do their own research and apply what they learned. We are always here for you if you get stuck but ideally you should be doing your own research and learn the required husbandry specific to the spices you want to work with.

Once you have done your research and think you have the answers then, yes, by all means ask the forum your question to confirm that you came to the correct conclusion. That is our mission here, to distribute the knowledge and experiences we have had individually to make the Cham keeping community as a whole more effective.

I’m defanitly not trying to discourage you from asking any question you may have, only encouraging you to walk on your own two feet. I think this is a good example of that old saying that we’ve all heard:

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. But teach him to fish and he will eat for a lifetime...

I appreciate the advice, I have been doing a ton of research (I have a notebook filled with stuff I’ve been jotting down) but my main thing is a feeding schedule, which I’m worried about because of school, and different opinions I hear when it comes to the amout that should be feed. I know chameleons eat at whatever opportunity, and it’s not a good idea, but my mom wanted me to ask anyways because of the geekos. I also know the basics of what crickets eat, but the websites I looked at are vauge and I’m nervous that I’ll poison them. I probably should’ve meantioned all this, but I was kind of just expecting a staight answer. I’m stupid for not meanting that he’ll be a Veild, though, I always forget to do that.

Like I said, I don’t have a chameleon yet. I’m preparing the general info, and I had a schedule figured out, but It was during the Summer and I forgot to work around school and such. I’ll tell you as much as I can right now. My chameleon will be a juvenile male Vieled, and he’ll have a screen 2x2x4 cage. I’ll have two cages for him (my parents are divorced), and I live in Arizona.

I also live in two houses, which I go to one on most weekends. Would the back and fourth between two cages be too much for the chamaelon? As an enthusiast, I can only guess you’d be as good to ask as any website.

What do you mean by "feeding schedule"? Do you want to know what insects to feed each day? Or are you asking at what time you should be feeding your chameleon?

Honestly, you could have figure out what to feed crickets if you went to the Resources Tab, or just a quick search on the forums would give you the answer. If I was you I would really read about gutloading. But anyway, dandelion greens, mustard greens, arugula, butternut squash, sweet potato, carrots, and small amounts of fruit like papaya would be good. Please, read about gutloading here in the forum and then if you have questions, ask!

To keep crickets, get a sterilite gasket bin. Cut a hole on the lid and glue some window screen. Place egg crate and paper towel rolls for them to hide. You will need to be removing dead crickets daily and cleaning the bin once a week.

Personally, I would just keep one enclosure in the house you spend most of your time. A chameleon could become stressed from the constant back and forth.

As “schedules” go. It’s best not to feed your chameleon to late in the day. They need time to digest before going to sleep at night. I don’t like to feed my chameleons any later than 4-4:30. But it also depends when your lights go off for the night. My chameleons are asleep by 7:30. You could get away with feeding them when you get home around 5.

What do you mean by "feeding schedule"? Do you want to know what insects to feed each day? Or are you asking at what time you should be feeding your chameleon?

Honestly, you could have figure out what to feed crickets if you went to the Resources Tab, or just a quick search on the forums would give you the answer. If I was you I would really read about gutloading. But anyway, dandelion greens, mustard greens, arugula, butternut squash, sweet potato, carrots, and small amounts of fruit like papaya would be good. Please, read about gutloading here in the forum and then if you have questions, ask!

To keep crickets, get a sterilite gasket bin. Cut a hole on the lid and glue some window screen. Place egg crate and paper towel rolls for them to hide. You will need to be removing dead crickets daily and cleaning the bin once a week.

Personally, I would just keep one enclosure in the house you spend most of your time. A chameleon could become stressed from the constant back and forth.

Noted, thank you! The site I looked at only said “dieing plant matter, leaves, fruits” and probably more I can’t think of off the top of my head, so I figured I’d ask. I’ll work on the cricket thing, and I’ll keep that in mind. Also, I’m asking about what times, and how many crickets I should feed. I’ve looked into it, but the time thing is something I thought would be better to ask, and the feeding thing has varried, so I’m looking for the most consistent answer. Also, I know what gut-loading is, but I’ll be sure to look more into it!

As “schedules” go. It’s best not to feed your chameleon to late in the day. They need time to digest before going to sleep at night. I don’t like to feed my chameleons any later than 4-4:30. But it also depends when your lights go off for the night. My chameleons are asleep by 7:30. You could get away with feeding them when you get home around 5.

Do you have any advice on how many times I should feed them, and what amount?

Do you have any advice on how many times I should feed them, and what amount?

Do you have any advice on being able to keep him feed while I’m gone for the two days? I’m guessing I just need to ask someone to do it for me

Well, as devyn said it's better to feed early in the day so the chameleon has time to bask and digest the food. It will depend on what time your lights will go off. Just remember the chameleon needs time to digest the food. You can buy a feeding cup or make one yourself and leave the crickets there before you leave for school.
As for amount it is hard to say. Most people say whatever the chameleon can eat within 15 minutes.

You can ask someone to feed your chameleon on the weekends. Another option is to buy blue bottle flies or black soldier flies. Hatch them inside the enclosure and your chameleon will have food for the weekend. Once your chameleons is an adult you won't have to worry about that as much since adults don't need to eat daily.

Well, as devyn said it's better to feed early in the day so the chameleon has time to bask and digest the food. It will depend on what time your lights will go off. Just remember the chameleon needs time to digest the food. You can buy a feeding cup or make one yourself and leave the crickets there before you leave for school.
As for amount it is hard to say. Most people say whatever the chameleon can eat within 15 minutes.

You can ask someone to feed your chameleon on the weekends. Another option is to buy blue bottle flies or black soldier flies. Hatch them inside the enclosure and your chameleon will have food for the weekend. Once your chameleons is an adult you won't have to worry about that as much since adults don't need to eat daily.

Okay! I think I’m about good. I’m only confused about a few more things. First off, should I feed him multiple times a day? From what you said, I’m guessing your saying I should feed him as a juvenile before and after school, so 7 a.m and 5 p.m. Is that right? Also, what do you mean by “whatever the chameleon can eat in 15 minutes”? When I first get him, should I put a bunch of crickets in a bowl and count how many he ate within that time? And, when should I consider him old enough for an adult feeding schedule? Finally, this is a little off topic, but I hear you should spot clean a cage everyday, but do you think I can get away with a farther gap of time without risking discomfort? Sorry for all the questions, I really appreciate the help, though!

I’m at work so forgive the short hand answers...

Your not stupid for forgetting to mention he’s a juvi male veild, I’m sure your drowning in thoughts right now. No one is born with this info, it must be learned...

Chameleons do not take change well, I’d advise moving him every weekend or two. They have evolved to blend in, this is their main defense against predation. That means all that attention and handeling will trigger him to panic and try to escape. Him not being able to escape will compound that stress even more.

One thing I try to make newbys understand is that chams are not pets, they are a hobby. Or at least a look but don’t touch pet. 80% of them want absolutely nothing to do with humans, especially male veilds. That’s not to say you can’t handle him, but it’s your Cham that decides how much handeling he will allow, he sets the pace. You can build trust over time by teaching him to associating you with positive experiences like hand feeding, and when he’s ready, trips into the sunshine. On the other hand there are some chams that will never tolerate handeling no matter what you do, it’s a total coin flip.

This forum is the #1 resource for all your chams needs, proud of it. If you google anything about Cham husbandry 80% of the results will lead you straight back here!

I’m going to make gutloading easy for you, go on Amazon and buy Cricket Crack. Mix water in until it has a peanut butter consistency and serve it any feeders, no other water source required.

Do not do the cricket cage as mentioned above, I’ll come back to this question later.

As mentioned above chams need time to bask after eating to digest their food. All feeding should be done by noon. You can throw one or two in after you get home from school but no more. If you leave for school before his lights come on just start by throwing 7-8 crickets in his viv on your way out. He will wake up and hunt them down when he’s ready. This also allows him some stimulation through out the day. Post a pic when you get him and we can give you a better idea of how many crickets he should eat a day.

It would be better to have someone feed him in your absence but it won’t hurt him to miss a feeding every two weeks. Or just throw in two days worth of food when you leave. The real question is how will you water him when your gone fore a couple of days. I recommend you install a Mistking, worth every penny.

Your Cham comes with an immune system, let him exercise it! You don’t have to run around behind him and clean every poop as soon as it hits the floor, however that is the best practice. As a juvi he will likely poop daily so I would not go more than 2-3 days. As he matures he will start pooping about once a week and may even potty train himself, making your job even easier. A mother option for keeping his viv clean is to set up a bio active viv. It is a bit of an advanced topic so I’ll let you research that on your own time.

Now that I’ve answered your questions, I’d like for you to answer all those questions I posted originally to see how much you’ve learned!

Your not stupid for forgetting to mention he’s a juvi male veild, I’m sure your drowning in thoughts right now. No one is born with this info, it must be learned...

Chameleons do not take change well, I’d advise moving him every weekend or two. They have evolved to blend in, this is their main defense against predation. That means all that attention and handeling will trigger him to panic and try to escape. Him not being able to escape will compound that stress even more.

One thing I try to make newbys understand is that chams are not pets, they are a hobby. Or at least a look but don’t touch pet. 80% of them want absolutely nothing to do with humans, especially male veilds. That’s not to say you can’t handle him, but it’s your Cham that decides how much handeling he will allow, he sets the pace. You can build trust over time by teaching him to associating you with positive experiences like hand feeding, and when he’s ready, trips into the sunshine. On the other hand there are some chams that will never tolerate handeling no matter what you do, it’s a total coin flip.

This forum is the #1 resource for all your chams needs, proud of it. If you google anything about Cham husbandry 80% of the results will lead you straight back here!

I’m going to make gutloading easy for you, go on Amazon and buy Cricket Crack. Mix water in until it has a peanut butter consistency and serve it any feeders, no other water source required.

Do not do the cricket cage as mentioned above, I’ll come back to this question later.

As mentioned above chams need time to bask after eating to digest their food. All feeding should be done by noon. You can throw one or two in after you get home from school but no more. If you leave for school before his lights come on just start by throwing 7-8 crickets in his viv on your way out. He will wake up and hunt them down when he’s ready. This also allows him some stimulation through out the day. Post a pic when you get him and we can give you a better idea of how many crickets he should eat a day.

It would be better to have someone feed him in your absence but it won’t hurt him to miss a feeding every two weeks. Or just throw in two days worth of food when you leave. The real question is how will you water him when your gone fore a couple of days. I recommend you install a Mistking, worth every penny.

Your Cham comes with an immune system, let him exercise it! You don’t have to run around behind him and clean every poop as soon as it hits the floor, however that is the best practice. As a juvi he will likely poop daily so I would not go more than 2-3 days. As he matures he will start pooping about once a week and may even potty train himself, making your job even easier. A mother option for keeping his viv clean is to set up a bio active viv. It is a bit of an advanced topic so I’ll let you research that on your own time.

Now that I’ve answered your questions, I’d like for you to answer all those questions I posted originally to see how much you’ve learned!

Thank you so much! I think I better know what to do now, and I’ll keep to giving him 8 crickets in morning and 2 when I get home (unless the size I end up getting will prove otherwise, but it’ll probably be about another month before I have him). I’m also wondering if I should continue that schedule when he’s an adult (which I think is after a year, but I can double check), but do it every other day, or every two days, etc. I don’t know what questions you want me to answer, though. Can you elaborate?

But, I also have to take the size of the crickets into consideration, which makes me nervous. I’m guess you mean the smallest cricket size you purchase when you say 7-8 a morning. When should I transistion in medium and large, and would I used less than?

Yes once he is an adult you will cut back to feeding ever other day. But your getting way ahead of yourself let’s stay focused on feeding him as a juvi.

But, I also have to take the size of the crickets into consideration, which makes me nervous. I’m guess you mean the smallest cricket size you purchase when you say 7-8 a morning. When should I transistion in medium and large, and would I used less than?
The smallest crickets you can buy are pinheads, name says it all. You prob going to start off with crickets that are 1/3 to 1/2 grown, you will feed him 7-8 crickets in the morning and maybe 1-2 more when you come home. Juvis eat a lot more frequently than adults. If I were you I’d go on eBay in a couple weeks and order small crickets, Dubais, and superworms so they are on hand when you bring your new guy home.

Back
Top Bottom