Feeding Schedules

Back to the cricket enclosure discussion from this morning...

A lot of people like to put egg crates in their enclosures to give the crickets something to climb/hide on. Problem is those cartons get really damp after only a couple days of use, they breed mold too. Mold is one of the leading causes of feeder die offs. If I were you I’d go buy a 5/10gal fish tank from Walmart($13) and grab a bunch of branches with the leaves on and put that in your cage instead. It accomplishes the same thing as the egg crates but instead of pulling all that moisture out of the air, the leaves dry out and do not mold. Once you’ve done that just mix some water into your cricket crack in a shallow dish and put that in the cage with the crickets. Nothing else is needed to keep your crickets fed and hydrated. Do not use the water crystals or calcium cubes, they do not work.

And since you will be dealing with small, fragile feeders for a while I suggest you buy a bug vacuum. Makes gathering feeders without accedently killing a few so much easier!
BF4CBE91-94CD-4198-BB18-FE48041C85F9.png

Back to the cricket enclosure discussion from this morning...

A lot of people like to put egg crates in their enclosures to give the crickets something to climb/hide on. Problem is those cartons get really damp after only a couple days of use, they breed mold too. Mold is one of the leading causes of feeder die offs. If I were you I’d go buy a 5/10gal fish tank from Walmart($13) and grab a bunch of branches with the leaves on and put that in your cage instead. It accomplishes the same thing as the egg crates but instead of pulling all that moisture out of the air, the leaves dry out and do not mold. Once you’ve done that just mix some water into your cricket crack in a shallow dish and put that in the cage with the crickets. Nothing else is needed to keep your crickets fed and hydrated. Do not use the water crystals or calcium cubes, they do not work.

Okay, thank you! Could ya respond to my other post too, please?

Which one?

I don’t really have any more questions to answer, he’s a male vieled juvenile who I’m gonna feed 8 crickets in the mornig, and 1 when I get home. His habitat is gonna be a 2x2x4 screen cage. I’m gonna mist 3 times a day with a timed mister, and give him a room temperature mist shower thing on Sundays. I also live in Arizona, but my house is around 75. I don’t really know what else to answer

As “schedules” go. It’s best not to feed your chameleon to late in the day. They need time to digest before going to sleep at night. I don’t like to feed my chameleons any later than 4-4:30. But it also depends when your lights go off for the night. My chameleons are asleep by 7:30. You could get away with feeding them when you get home around 5.
This 'not feeding your cham too late' rule, is grossly over exaggerated. Light, whether it be sunlight or a bulb, is not what your cham needs to digest it's food; it's the ambient temperature. Just because the lights go out, doesn't mean your cham's body stops food digestion. As long as their isn't a massive temperature drop, say 85 degress down into the 50-60 degree range when the lights go off, the chameleon's body will still continue digestion. In the wild, a hungry cham is not going to turn down a meal it may come across 30 minutes before the sun sets simply because it's about to get dark outside.

I don’t really have any more questions to answer, he’s a male vieled juvenile who I’m gonna feed 8 crickets in the mornig, and 1 when I get home. His habitat is gonna be a 2x2x4 screen cage. I’m gonna mist 3 times a day with a timed mister, and give him a room temperature mist shower thing on Sundays. I also live in Arizona, but my house is around 75. I don’t really know what else to answer
Your confused...
I’m not telling you to ask us more questions. I’m asking you all the questions below about your plans. Once you post your answers we can work out any other potential issues you may have before you get the Cham.

So, now I’m asking you:
◦ Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?

◦ Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?

◦ Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?

◦ Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?

◦ Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?

◦ Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?

◦ History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

◦ Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?

◦ Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?

◦ Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?

◦ Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?

◦ Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?

◦ Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

◦ Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1 The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.

2 Photos can be very helpful.

Your confused...
I’m not telling you to ask us more questions. I’m asking you all the questions below about your plans. Once you post your answers we can work out any other potential issues you may have before you get the Cham.

So, now I’m asking you:
◦ Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?

◦ Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?

◦ Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?

◦ Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?

◦ Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?

◦ Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?

◦ History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

◦ Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?

◦ Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?

◦ Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?

◦ Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?

◦ Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?

◦ Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

◦ Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1 The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.

2 Photos can be very helpful.

I just did that, I answered as many of those as I can. For supplements, I was planning of vitamins with D3 and multi vitamins going back and fourth once a week (so one week I’ll do D3, and the next multivitamin). I don’t think I can answer any other question yet, but I will when I can!

This 'not feeding your cham too late' rule, is grossly over exaggerated. Light, whether it be sunlight or a bulb, is not what your cham needs to digest it's food; it's the ambient temperature. Just because the lights go out, doesn't mean your cham's body stops food digestion. As long as their isn't a massive temperature drop, say 85 degress down into the 50-60 degree range when the lights go off, the chameleon's body will still continue digestion. In the wild, a hungry cham is not going to turn down a meal it may come across 30 minutes before the sun sets simply because it's about to get dark outside.

What times and amounts do you suggest, than?

I just did that, I answered as many of those as I can. For supplements, I was planning of vitamins with D3 and multi vitamins going back and fourth once a week (so one week I’ll do D3, and the next multivitamin). I don’t think I can answer any other question yet, but I will when I can!
No you have not done that, where are your answers?

No you have not done that, where are your answers?

“I don’t really have any more questions to answer, he’s a male vieled juvenile who I’m gonna feed 8 crickets in the mornig, and 1 when I get home. His habitat is gonna be a 2x2x4 screen cage. I’m gonna mist 3 times a day with a timed mister, and give him a room temperature mist shower thing on Sundays. I also live in Arizona, but my house is around 75. I don’t really know what else to answer.”

When you get your enclosure set up (before you buy a chameleon), show us pictures. We want detailed pics of the cage, lighting, misting system, and drainage. This forum wants you to have all the right things before you bring home your chameleon. Show us pics of your supplements too, we all geek out over this stuff. You and your new chameleon will do much better if you start with a good enclosure.

When you get your enclosure set up (before you buy a chameleon), show us pictures. We want detailed pics of the cage, lighting, misting system, and drainage. This forum wants you to have all the right things before you bring home your chameleon. Show us pics of your supplements too, we all geek out over this stuff. You and your new chameleon will do much better if you start with a good enclosure.

Ain't that the truth. Haha. We geek over this stuff big time.

Please take this as a helpful sign and not that we are trying to be over critical. We just really love these animals and in my own personal case I have wanted one since I was 5 years old so they make me very happy to say the least. Haha.

You’re the boss! :p

Ain't that the truth. Haha. We geek over this stuff big time.

Please take this as a helpful sign and not that we are trying to be over critical. We just really love these animals and in my own personal case I have wanted one since I was 5 years old so they make me very happy to say the least. Haha.

I’m won’t! I can’t answer much about it yet, so asking for pictures is nothing unreasonable. I only get annoyed when people act like I’m gonna kill the poor thing due to one mistake I’m trying to correct. Honestly, I might not be able to get one at this point, unless my dad stops being a baby about me having crickets in a separate enclosure than the chameleon XD

Back
Top Bottom