Feeding Schedule Rationale

dinomom

Chameleon Enthusiast
I know the generally accepted schedule for feeding (adult male veiled) is 4-5 insects, every other day or 3x per week. I am curious if the "fasting days" are considered important.

Or would it be acceptable to feed 2-3 bugs daily with occasional fasts?

I try to feed most of my animals are close to a wild schedule as possible. For example, as a fictional scenario; one day they might encounter a hatching ooph of something and gorge themselves. Next 2 days, not hungry and spend time digesting. Third day manage to snag a passing bee but go to bed a little hungry. Fourth day encounter a pair of mating grasshoppers so they get a 2fer, and then snag a nocturnal bug right before dusk. Fifth day hunt all day to no avail.

It would be unusual for them to find 5 bugs, then skip a day and find 5 again! And I assume no wild animal fasts "on purpose" it is a matter of there often not being any food available.

I am not disagreeing with the schedule but rather attempting to understand its genesis. (with it being a given that it is the overall amount of food and not overfeeding, or underfeeding during growth times, that is the most important). Also I know that this is a schedule adhered to by many successful breeders, so it works. Just curious how it was arrived at and if other schedules proved not to work.

If I were to imagine a a wild cham feeding schedule it would be hard to replicate. No food on rainy days, days with one or two tiny catches, and days of gorging when the find the right spot. And many days where the just don't find a meal.
So I do think fasts and days with out food do matter. This is how they would have evolved.

If I were to imagine a a wild cham feeding schedule it would be hard to replicate. No food on rainy days, days with one or two tiny catches, and days of gorging when the find the right spot. And many days where the just don't find a meal.
So I do think fasts and days with out food do matter. This is how they would have evolved.
For sure, I would never consider NOT doing occasional fasts. For example, to the horror and cries of abuse from everyone online, I fast my birds once a week.

Was just curious where the every-other-day protocol came from.

I know the generally accepted schedule for feeding (adult male veiled) is 4-5 insects, every other day or 3x per week. I am curious if the "fasting days" are considered important.

Or would it be acceptable to feed 2-3 bugs daily with occasional fasts?
I've read that both/either (and other regimens) are acceptable.

I am not disagreeing with the schedule but rather attempting to understand its genesis. (with it being a given that it is the overall amount of food and not overfeeding, or underfeeding during growth times, that is the most important). Also I know that this is a schedule adhered to by many successful breeders, so it works. Just curious how it was arrived at and if other schedules proved not to work.
My impression is that—as with any species—it's more about caloric and nutrient intake than scheduling.

GP self-regulated. One day he was chowing down "all you can eat", and then suddenly his appetite just tapered off to a few feeders on most days, and other days—bupkis.

I've seen this happen with other pet species (some dogs, but others will eat until they barf and then eat the barf). Yeah, dogs are disgusting, but we love 'em anyway. 🤷‍♂️

Many zoos fast their residents one day a week (often Monday)—particularly the big cats—according to species. IDK if that's the source you seek, or could have been the inspiration.

Currently, GP is eating an average of 3-4 med. dubias, crix, or combo. on most days, with treats (currently giant mealworms) twice a week and fasting on Mondays.

He hasn't complained so far... 😁

I've read that both/either (and other regimens) are acceptable.

My impression is that—as with any species—it's more about caloric and nutrient intake than scheduling.

GP self-regulated. One day he was chowing down "all you can eat", and then suddenly his appetite just tapered off to a few feeders on most days, and other days—bupkis.

I've seen this happen with other pet species (some dogs, but others will eat until they barf and then eat the barf). Yeah, dogs are disgusting, but we love 'em anyway. 🤷‍♂️

Many zoos fast their residents one day a week (often Monday)—particularly the big cats—according to species. IDK if that's the source you seek, or could have been the inspiration.

Currently, GP is eating an average of 3-4 med. dubias, crix, or combo. on most days, with treats (currently giant mealworms) twice a week and fasting on Mondays.

He hasn't complained so far... 😁
I like your schedule, seems reasonable. On treat day Dino might get 2 BSF only to lighten the overall meal.

I experience this with my cat also, a Bengal so she is closer to wild behavior. She will chow down twice the normal amount and then not eat for a day (for big cats, binging and fasting is normal of course). And she will not eat on ANY day until she has been properly chased at breakneck speed; i.e. fast enough to drift and lose the back end around the corners, through the house a few times.

I think whatever works for you and your Cham! I think the every other day feeding just came about for convenience sake for the keepers, not for the benefit of the animals.

For sure, I would never consider NOT doing occasional fasts. For example, to the horror and cries of abuse from everyone online, I fast my birds once a week.

Was just curious where the every-other-day protocol came from.
I do know of some that do once a week.

Back
Top Bottom