Feeding question

Shanar808

Avid Member
I have a question and I know there are going to be various opinions on this subject but I just would like to hear your thoughts..
So as we are striving to provide the best care for our chameleons and getting as close to their best natural environment and climate as possible, I am curious as to the feeding schedule we put our chameleons on. I doubt they put themselves on a “every other day” fasting routine. I do realize that in the wild food is more scarce at times, but would it not be also appropriate to feed them a few bugs per day than to feed them til they’re full and then fast them? Just curious.. 😇

I have a question and I know there are going to be various opinions on this subject but I just would like to hear your thoughts..
So as we are striving to provide the best care for our chameleons and getting as close to their best natural environment and climate as possible, I am curious as to the feeding schedule we put our chameleons on. I doubt they put themselves on a “every other day” fasting routine. I do realize that in the wild food is more scarce at times, but would it not be also appropriate to feed them a few bugs per day than to feed them til they’re full and then fast them? Just curious.. 😇
When they get older they do need to only have a certain amount each day or they will become overweight, if that is what you are asking. I'm not sure I fully understand the question.

If you have veileds, they seem to never become full, lol. They are opportunistic eaters and can become overweight very easily if you’re trying to sate their appetite. If you have females that you are not breeding, you’ll definitely want to limit their feedings to prevent frequent and/or large clutches of eggs. Both of which can not only lead to higher risks of laying problems, but shortens their lives. I feed my adult chams 3-4 feeders Mon, We’d & Fri, with the boys getting a couple of bugs on Saturday.

I do like your idea of thinking..... In the wild, food can be limited. Chameleons may go days without food because there is none around or the hunt was unsuccessful. When kept by a keeper, they always make sure everything is on point, which is important. For example, if you were to be away for 3 days, yeah... maybe not the best for a chameleon that is used to its schedule and has probably never gone without food in the wild, but yet again, the chameleon will be ok. We humans now, just grab a snack from the pantry without thinking about it. Whenever humans were first on earth, we had to hunt for food, we had to scavenge. Hunting is a way of life :)

The way I construed it (subject to correction) was (in effect), what's the difference between feeding 4 bugs every other day or 2 bugs every day? 🤷‍♂️

Yes, that’s what I was thinking. 😅 I was curious as to why we do what we do. I’m just trying to get an idea as to the reasoning for us alternating days that we allow them to eat. We take our cues from nature and from our chameleon, and it just doesn’t seem like they go a day without searching for food. But it seems the consensus is that we are replicating times of scarcity to prevent obesity.

Back
Top Bottom