Feeding question

blackhawk007

Background, Memphis is a bluebar Ambilobe 7 months old. We have had him since he was 4 months old. In that time he has grown SOO fast. His enclosure is 36X24X48 screened. I have a mistking setup with 3 nozzles misting every 2 hours. The lighting is a 36" T-5 fixture with 2 10,000k bulbs, 1 6500k, and a 6% T-5 Arcadia.This basking bulb is a 160w bulb high enough the keep the aluminum screen below 100 degrees but also allow for an 89 degree basking area. Lights are on 7 am to 7 pm. Ambient temp away from basking is 74-78 degrees. Its planted with a hibiscus tree, a hibiscus bush, and a gardenia, along with several synthetic vines. Humidity is monitored through my Herpkeeper and ranges from 45%-65%. The feeders on hand are dubias, crickets, super worms, silk worms, phoenix worms, and horn worms.

OK now to my topic. For the last few months (from day we got him) he has torn through on average 50-60 1/4 crickets, or an equivalent amount of the other feeders. For example we may sub in 5 silk worms for 20 less crix (mostly cup fed, unless worms are placed on vines). Making sure to keep a good variety each day. All of a sudden he refused to eat crickets. This was fine with all the other options we have on hand. Then he stopped eating super worms. As this was happening he rapidly decreased the overall amount he would eat each day of the other feeders. This happened over about a weeks time. Now for the last 2 weeks he only eats 2-3 silk worms or 1-2 horn worms per day if that. At all times keeping the space between his eyes as reference for feeder size. He is now 7 months old, he is just active as ever,his physical attributes have not changed. But he is also growing more slowly. He did go through a shed during the week that this started. Poop is consistent with his intake, and his urates are bright white. He is handled only to go out into the sun about every other week. Oh and I use calcium plus.

Now the question. Is this normal? Do you think his growth has slowed his eating, or his slow eating has slowed his growth? I am leaning to both, but its great to hear from others that have been there done that. Here is are some recent photos of him outside. Sorry for the blur. Thanks for reading!

2012-07-04_10-09-13_104.jpg

2012-07-04_10-09-35_897.jpg

I almost forgot. The silks get the silkworm food I got from mulberry farms. I have no idea what Jenna feeds the dubias but she keeps up on is. All others get a rotation of super-load, bug-burger, and what ever Jenna feels like making that week for a gut load.

I am no expert on this but it sounds like your cham was on a growing spurt ans is now done! As long as he is looking and acting healthy then I wouldn't get worried myself.

I too am no expert, but your chameleon will decrease his feeding at about this age. If it helps, check out sandrachameleon's feeding diary. She has two panthers and each only eat a few bugs per day. I trust her judgement for feeding: link

Not only is your chameleon absolutely gorgeous, I think he looks healthy too.

I too am no expert, but your chameleon will decrease his feeding at about this age. If it helps, check out sandrachameleon's feeding diary. She has two panthers and each only eat a few bugs per day. I trust her judgement for feeding: link

Not only is your chameleon absolutely gorgeous, I think he looks healthy too.

I do agree with you about Sandra. She actually has more than one of the month long logs of what she fed. EDIT: oops you posted a link of exactly what I just spoke about. I did not see an age when I looked at the logs though. I think one just said that it was an adult cham. But that kinda leaves open an interpretation. My biggest wonder come with the rate at which this all happened. I was just not sure how common it was for a cham to go from 60 crix to 1-2 worms, if that in such a short time frame. Its like someone flipped a switch. On the bright side I haven't seen any negative comments about this or the setup, I'll take that.

Thank you for the nice words on his colors. If you bored here a link from the first few weeks after he arrived. I think its kinda cool to see his baby brown colors compared to how he is now.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/what-difference-month-can-make-82508/

Back
Top Bottom