Feeding Question!

NOP

My 9 month old Male Veiled chameleon has recently decided he doesnt want to be cup fed anymore because he rarely goes down to his cup anymore so i have been free ranging about 6 crickets a day 2 at a time every couple of hours (but i keep another half dozen or more crickets in his feeder cup at all times for when he actually decides to go get some) but with my work schedule i cant be there all day to keep throwing a few cricks for him...i recently as in an hour ago got my first order of Hornwoms in from Coastal silkworms and i gave him the 2 largest ones in the container in a 10min period...he absolutely loved them went straight for em as soo as he saw them....but what i am wondering is if he has lost interest in crickets in his cup would it be good to keep throwing a few crickets in his cage but give him 3-4 hornworms a day to make sure he is eating enough? almost make the hornworm his staple but still put in some crickets?
would the be ok for him or would just using the hornworms as a treat with 1 or 2 day and just continue with the current cricket feeding schedule?

He might just have gotten bored of crickets if that's all he ever gets. Remember that diversity in his diet is going to be the healthiest thing long-term. I think that for a while see if you can give him other things besides crickets - get hornworms, butterworms, roaches (if you can), superworms, etc. and give him that for a few weeks. Then reintroduce crickets into the diet.

Worms are fatty and shouldn't be a huge portion of the diet, but for a little while I think it'll be ok. If you can go to a field or wild area where you know no one is spraying pesticides, go out and collect stuff with a butterfly net too. Stuff like wild grasshoppers and mantids make great additions to their diet. Just check with a field guide or something to see if the species you catch is poisonous or not.

Back
Top Bottom