Feeding question

lsd61377

Our Cosmo is around 5 months old ( i think). We were told he was 2 months old when we got him in October. What kind of feeding schedule should he be on at this age? He's currently getting at least 20 small crickets per day. When I have BSF larvae, he will get half larvae and half crickets. He will eat them all at every feeding. I'm going to assume that since he still "cleans his plate " daily that he isn't ready to transition to every other day feedings. Just looking for a little advice. Thanks

Attachments

• 20220301_162958.jpg
    20220301_162958.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 53
How small are the crickets you're feeding him now?
Can you take a photo of him on something that will give us an idea of his size please?

He currently eats the small crickets, maybe half inch or a little bigger. Here are some pics of him in my hand

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1646519038300.jpg
    FB_IMG_1646519038300.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 53
  • FB_IMG_1646519028886.jpg
    FB_IMG_1646519028886.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 53
How small are the crickets you're feeding him now?
Can you take a photo of him on something that will give us an idea of his size please?
I would say the crickets are about half inch or slightly bigger. Here are some pics for size

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1646519038300.jpg
    FB_IMG_1646519038300.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 46
  • FB_IMG_1646519028886.jpg
    FB_IMG_1646519028886.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 48
Our Cosmo is around 5 months old ( i think). We were told he was 2 months old when we got him in October.
My math makes him out to be around 7 months (Aug - Mar). No biggie.

At this age, he can still eat as much as he wants, but he should begin tapering down soon.
At 7 months, mine was eating Lg, crix. and he self-regulated to 3-4 Lg. (or equiv. of other feeders) every other day.

From the pics, it looks like Cosmo can move up to at least Med. and possibly Lg. You might buy a few of each and see how he does with them. If he gnoms [sic] down the Lg. with no problems, great!

My math makes him out to be around 7 months (Aug - Mar). No biggie.

At this age, he can still eat as much as he wants, but he should begin tapering down soon.
At 7 months, mine was eating Lg, crix. and he self-regulated to 3-4 Lg. (or equiv. of other feeders) every other day.

From the pics, it looks like Cosmo can move up to at least Med. and possibly Lg. You might buy a few of each and see how he does with them. If he gnoms [sic] down the Lg. with no problems, great!
Thanks so much, I'll try a few med and large

Larger feeders pose a danger of mouth issues along with some having issues getting them down.

With a Veiled you will start to transition to every other day feedings of about 10-12 feeders at about 9 months old. He may or may not curb back on his own. Veileds tend to be bottomless pits and will eat as much as you give them. By the time they are a year old they should be eating no more then 3-4 medium feeders every other day or 3 days a week. Veileds can put on weight very quickly at this stage because they are no longer using the food for growth and it becomes fat, which you want to avoid.

Larger feeders pose a danger of mouth issues along with some having issues getting them down.

With a Veiled you will start to transition to every other day feedings of about 10-12 feeders at about 9 months old. He may or may not curb back on his own. Veileds tend to be bottomless pits and will eat as much as you give them. By the time they are a year old they should be eating no more then 3-4 medium feeders every other day or 3 days a week. Veileds can put on weight very quickly at this stage because they are no longer using the food for growth and it becomes fat, which you want to avoid.
Thank you, so probably stick with the small feeders for now?

Thank you, so probably stick with the small feeders for now?
Size appropriate. I do not feed anything larger then a medium to my adult male. With hornworms I feed nothing larger then 1 1/2 inches long due to their ability to bite. Depending on what your feeding they can have larger mandibles so bite risk is higher also the insect itself can have a harder outer then a younger one that is easier to squish. Veileds do not tend to chew much it is more of a one or two chomps then swallow. If a feeder is too large they can have trouble getting them down and even throw them back up.

Back
Top Bottom