Feeding Pinkies to my Cham?

Crissten

Hey! I was just wondering what is everyones opinion on feeding (small) pinky mice to my female panther.

Of course it would be just a treat once every month or two but im concerned she might choke on it. She is around 10 months old now.

I myself wouldn't do it because I wouldn't be able to do it. I also hear that its messy. But I believe its a good source of Vit A, but I really don't know how large pinkies are. If its as large as a large cricket then I don't think there would be a problem. Check if its the size between her two eyes, that is usually a good indicator.

If she's not large enough to comfortably eat a pinkie, dont consider it. That you are concerned she may choke suggests you think she is too small for a pinkie.

Pinkies are mostly little sacks of fat anyhow. There are, imo, better feeder options for a young female.

You may find this previous thread on the topic of interest:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/ok-give-your-chameleon-7143/
there are others too - use the search function

Well, you'd have to see a pinky mouse and compare it to the size of crickets she's eating at the moment. See how much bigger it is and ask yourself if she can manage to eat it. If you don't think she can then just wait a while. There's no rush to feed them something so fatty unless you want them to gain weight quickly.

I gave one a week for two weeks to a male leopard gecko that I had purchased. He was uncomfortably thin and the two pinkies (followed by a nutricious diet of worms and crickets) really helped get him into incredible shape. He is now absolutely stunning. And I think that this is the best reason to give any pet such a fatty treat. If she's healthy and happy then I think wait before giving one to her, and if you do, only give her one as often as you would (without guilt!) feed yourself a tray of double chocolate brownies.

How about feeding pinkies to a Giant Meller? She is about 10 in nose to vent. How messy is it? Do I even what to watch?

Do I even want to watch?

If you don't want to watch what's the point in feeding it?

I really don't understand why some people want to feed pinkies to chameleons.

If you really want to feed them, get a snake and enjoy the show.

Ease up, I thought if it is beneficial to her than I can handle it. If it is not, then I agree why bother. I like to give my chams variety so if it would make her happy, why not.

There are always frozen pinkies. You just thaw and serve lol. I gave one to molly once, she loved it, and frozen ones aren't messy or sad to watch.

I don't think it's very messy. It's much messier to give hornworms, in my opinion! But they don't really bleed or anything, and at least they don't make the crunch noises insects do while they're being chewed.

Well my Lola ate the pinkie and it was not messy at all. I just think it is good to give them a variety. I also got her to eat some mustard greens and kiwi. The trick was to make it move like an insect in my hand and she went after it.

My senegal ate a pinkie a newly born pinki. it was an accident. i bought a baby pacman to live in the bottom of the viv. crix bred in there and before i knew it i had hundreds of crix. i got rid of them with the frog. any way i was at a point that i had to feed the frog a pinkie every now and then so otis wouldnt notice him. i know it wasnt a good idea but i couldnt just up root my whole viv when it wasnt dirty or moldy. well otis noticed the pinkie dangeling from my fingers and ran up and snatched it. it wasnt messy at all. it fit in his mouth and down it went. i disected his poop for a long time to make sure it came out ok.

ha! i love pacman frogs, fat lazy pets that need little maintenance and reward you by not moving unless you feed them. i have a large veiled and a few years ago i was only able to get one that was starting to grow hair. i figured it was still small enough for him, and it was. however, i guess he didnt like how it moved in his belly or something, because he refuses to eat even tiny pinkies now.

Back
Top Bottom