Feeding options

foshizzle11

Hi all,
I have been reading so many posts and what others are doing to feed their chameleons.

So I have a question, how hard is it to switch to cup feeding from free range?

We always just dust the crickets and let them roam free in the cage. They generally go to the top and bask right along with Jack (not Jackie since we found out he is a she) so she eats them usually from the top of the cage.

I want to DIY a feeding cup to hang in the cage so we can easily feed worms and crickets. I don't want to let any of the worms free in the cage and she doesn't like taking food from us yet so thought this was the best way to go.

Any suggestions on how to get her to switch to eating from a feeder cup?

I was thinking the 2 litre milk jug type with the wire mesh for climbing by the critters.

Best thing you can do is just put it in there and see what happens. I usually let the crickets free like you have been, but she also has a small feeder cup in her cage where I will put worms or veggies - and she just went to it and ate from it like it was no big deal.

Never had a problem with either of mine. I read that instead of hanging the cup, you can take a tall Tupperware and glue a nice wide cover to the bottom. That will prevent the Tupperware from falling if your Cham stands or puts weight on it. I did that in the begging and it worked great but now they either eat from my hand or I just hold the cup and they chow from it.

A secondary question here. How do you mount a feeding cup in your screen cages? I've tried just putting a cup in the bottom with super or wax worms but my nosy be panther completely ignores it. He doesn't seem to spend much time that low. Also, is the fact that it's a white cup with white(ish) worms a factor? Not sure if he can see the movement.

I personally use a deli cup for my feeder cup. I keep it about 8 inches below his basking spot. Its easy for him to see the movement of the feeders and goes right for them. I also free range the feeders about 2 times a week so he gets the thrill of the hunt every now and again.

How do you mount the deli cup? I have a small black cup I made out of the bottom of a Repashy CGD bottle. I was thinking of getting a little adhesive velcro to stick it to the screen.

A secondary question here. How do you mount a feeding cup in your screen cages? I've tried just putting a cup in the bottom with super or wax worms but my nosy be panther completely ignores it. He doesn't seem to spend much time that low. Also, is the fact that it's a white cup with white(ish) worms a factor? Not sure if he can see the movement.

I use small magnets, like these:

http://www.amazon.com/Neodymium-Mag...=1391440316&sr=8-3&keywords=neodymium+magnets

They have 1001 uses :D

Back
Top Bottom