Feeding my Jackson wild bugs. A few ?s

Hey everyone I recently found a gold mine place here in hawaii for finding wild bugs farrr away from any sort of 'civilization' a few miles from my house for my wild caught Jackson. I have been able to find multiple kinds of beetles, roaches, pillbugs and crickets here and there on a very consistent basis. The bugs all look super well fed and healthy to my knowledge. I think all of the bugs are far from any contaminates. My cham hates anything that resembles a worm for some reason but goes nuts over these wild caught bugs.

My questions - 1. do you think this is sufficient for feeding and should i be too worried about gut loading them? I am just giving them that cricket crack stuff and a few moist carrots to keep them alive and healthy. I usually only keep a week worth of bugs and re up on my day off.

2. I bought a ton of mealworms before i found this spot and after realizing he hates them I have decided to turn them into beetles and feed them off to him after they turn. Is this safe? (they are a little harder shelled than the juicy softer ones i have been catching in the wild)

his poop looks healthy and he seems really happy. (i swear he smiles at me when i mist him lol)

My cham's name is Yoshi, Ive had him for about 40 days and this is my first post! Mahalo for your feedback/comments!

The rule of thumb is dont feed it anything thats as wide as the space between the chams eyes, so stick to that and when in doubt go down a size and feed a couple more to make up for if need be. Mealworms themselves ppl advise only use once jn a whole because of impaction from their exoskeleton, if beetle is the samr or more I personally wouldnt. Theres a ton of ither bugs that are better/safer.

Wild bugs are great however there is a significant increase of parasite infestation. I was told by a vet once that wild caught insects were so much more beneficial that it was well worth the risk. That being said I don't take the chance I just gut load my insects real well. So I guess use your best judgment.:)

my very first chameleon, a Jackson, choked on a beetle and died. i would suggest... if feeding them to him, i would watch until they are gone.

If you do feed wild insects, get regular fecals done, do them about every six months. Otherwise you shouldn't have any problems.

Use the eyes rule for hard-bodied feeders. You can get away with a slightly larger soft-bodied feeder. As mentioned in the above comments, please use your better judgment.

Back
Top Bottom