Feeding horned worms???

erik775

Established Member
ok so i got horned worms from mulberry rams and they are really big now...:eek::eek::eek:...and they are pretty much done with the food that came in the original cup...that other foods can i feed them to keep them growing???i want to also let them pupate and turn into moths...

If you don't have many worms left... separates them so they don't starting eating or biting one another... and they'll be OK for a couple of days... or just feed them off real fast.

OR just let some turn into moths and feed them off as a moth in a month or two. If you want them to turn into a moth get a pot of dirt the worms can't climb out of and put one or two in with the dirt and they'll cocoon, then check on them once a week to see if they've hatched.

If you don't have many worms left... separates them so they don't starting eating or biting one another... and they'll be OK for a couple of days... or just feed them off real fast.

OR just let some turn into moths and feed them off as a moth in a month or two. If you want them to turn into a moth get a pot of dirt the worms can't climb out of and put one or two in with the dirt and they'll cocoon, then check on them once a week to see if they've hatched.

but i have about 5 or 6 of them and i think there waaay to big to feed to my chams...they took almost as thick as AA batteries:eek::eek::eek:...i think my cham will choak on them:eek::eek::(

I would not feed them if you are worried about choking. Mine almost choked on one before and it freaked me out! Like the other member said, just put them in a container of dirt and let them burrrow in there and they will should cocoon. I am waiting for 4 moths to hatch right now. It takes quite awhile from what I understand, like a month or so to hatch. Mine are still alive, cause they move when you touch them and it has been about 4 weeks.

I would not feed them if you are worried about choking. Mine almost choked on one before and it freaked me out! Like the other member said, just put them in a container of dirt and let them burrrow in there and they will should cocoon. I am waiting for 4 moths to hatch right now. It takes quite awhile from what I understand, like a month or so to hatch. Mine are still alive, cause they move when you touch them and it has been about 4 weeks.

ok cool ill do that...asap...

They will only pupate if they are 5th instar though. They will just starve and die if they are not 5th instar. You can feed them bell peppers, carrot, and sometimes they eat lettuce (like romaine.) This will only work for a little while though.

They will only pupate if they are 5th instar though. They will just starve and die if they are not 5th instar. You can feed them bell peppers, carrot, and sometimes they eat lettuce (like romaine.) This will only work for a little while though.

they are getting pretty restless and moving around alot and a couple are looking a bit brownish on top i heard thats when there like that there ready pupate ...is that true???

They kind of shrink when they need to pupate. They get all scrunched up and the head and tail area appear much thinner than the mid-section.

My worms got really restless and I could hear them biting at the plastic holes around the cup like they wanted out. You can't miss how much they move. At that time just toss them into some dirt and let them pupate it out.

My worms got really restless and I could hear them biting at the plastic holes around the cup like they wanted out. You can't miss how much they move. At that time just toss them into some dirt and let them pupate it out.

ok so just throw them in some regular dirt???

chop em?

Couldn't you just cut them up into edible-sized pieces? I mean, you'd lose a lot of the juicy gooey goodness as it oozes out, but isn't that better than wasting them?

Couldn't you just cut them up into edible-sized pieces? I mean, you'd lose a lot of the juicy gooey goodness as it oozes out, but isn't that better than wasting them?

But you aren't really wasting them this way. They are completing their cycle of growth by turning into a moth which you can then feed off. :)

True. I just figured the wormy form would be more nutritious and moisture-rch than the mothy form.

Back
Top Bottom