Feeding everyday?

Jaycross528

so I e read after a year old your not supposed to feed everyday ? I feed my female 8-10 crickets a day and dust them with calcium-d3 Monday-Saturday now Sunday’s she will get a vitamin and following Sunday d3 her weight stays at 62 g as long as she’s not carrying eggs then it goes to about 85 g I guess my question is can it harm her getting calcium everyday or should I stop and feed every other day ? I’m sure I’m the wild they eat everyday right? Any feedback is appreciated

It is especially important to reduce feedings for adult females. Overfeeding makes them produce larger clutches of eggs, which increases the likelihood of egg binding or other issues.

Also, you should only be dusting with calcium with D3 twice a month maximum. It is calcium WITHOUT D3 that you should be using at every feeding

Yeah sorry it was supposed to say minus d3 everyday I only dust 2 times a month with d3 and everyday without and vitamins 2 also I was just curious cause I still feed her everyday and dust with calcium my breeder recommended feeding every other day but in the wild I’m sure they eat everyday but I will start to do every other her first clutch she laid 31 second clutch was 26

It is especially important to reduce feedings for adult females. Overfeeding makes them produce larger clutches of eggs, which increases the likelihood of egg binding or other issues.

Also, you should only be dusting with calcium with D3 twice a month maximum. It is calcium WITHOUT D3 that you should be using at every feeding
Is 10 crickets still good to feed every other day or should I feed more since she not eating everyday?

That is the guideline but each cham is different. I cut my panther girls down to every other day at one year and they (one more than the other) lost weight quickly so I fed every day for a few weeks then went to 5-6 days a week for a month or 2, now I am at every other day and they are holding weight. My point is, even if it works for 99% of the chameleons, you still need to stay vigilant.

Ok thank you I was thinking maybe at first I’ll do the 10 and on off day maybe 3 so she can have a little snack and see how that works I got her at 10 months old and she is now 16 months

861AB173-888F-4938-B37E-89F07E6DEA8C.jpeg
Ok so yesterday would have been a skip day and I put 4 crickets for a snack ,today I put 8 large crickets in she ate them all but still looking should I up it to 10 or 12 ?

I wouldn't go above 10 if I were you. 8 is probably fine. Chameleons are total gluttons and their instinct is to always eat more (in the wild they never know when their next meal will come, so they are opportunistic eaters), even though it isn't necessary for their health. Don't give in to her!

Back
Top Bottom