Feeding cup for babies..

Aminah Undone

My little monsters are in the 3 week'ish age range, now. I can actually tell they've grown some, and they have a little color (a few do, anyway) around their eyes and cheeks.

They are eating me out of house and home, but I worry that a couple don't get as many FFs or pinheads as the rest, so I've started holding the shaker cup for them to eat bugs as they crawl out of it. It's so cute!

Everyone seems to have the idea about this cup now and they all come over and wait! :D

I wish I had pics, but the camera is dead and my phone takes crap shots. :eek:

i cup feed my babies as well. It really makes life a lot easier especially with fruit flies. They all get eaten as they crawl out of the cup instead of having half of them crawl out of the bin every feeding. I put a stick into the cup and lean it onto the branches so the crix and FF will have a direct route to the rest of the branches and most do not end up on the bottom of the bin that way.

The "stick in the cup" is a good idea! I'll do that next feeding. Thanks!

I started putting more foliage even lower in the bin, so the babies would get down there and eat the ones that fell, but I'd rather do it your way. Then I won't worry that they're mistaking poo bombs from that day, as food. :rolleyes:

I had to put another stick going to the corners where there are always going to be stray feeders no matter what you do. One trick i came up with that was a life saver is having my network of branches and a live ivy all one unit so I could lift it out whenever i need to. I connect a network of branches with small zipties and run a live ivy through it. I take the whole thing out in one shot lifting the ivy by the drip pan and set it on a towel on the floor with babies hanging out and rinse and wipe out the bin and put it all back. Each bin takes around 5 minutes so I can do that before and after work and they dont ever have much poop buildup. They do poop a lot though:D

I have all the silk foliage stuff attached to the bamboo sticks and it all comes out in one tangle. I let the babies hang out on the ficus while I take the bins, etc. outside and hose them out/off. With just the 13 kids, it's not too much hassle each day.

I've been playing around the idea of making them a big pvc frame with screen around it, and hanging their pothos in it with all the branches and what not. I just fear they are too tiny yet and will not find food or break something, should they fall.

Maybe I can turn it on its side, making it 4ft tall and 7ft long, until they grow a little more. (rather than 7ft tall and 4ft wide) I love pvc ..it's so versatile! ;)

Back
Top Bottom